Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Bleeding the Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bleeding the Clutch

Alright, well I mentioned this in another thread and didnt really get any sort of answer so, I'm wonderin if anyone could tel me how to bleed the clutch on my EJ8?

Reason I ask is because, I have about an inch of play in my peddle before it even does a damn thing and it engages really low to the floor and its pretty damn stiff, however if its been running for a bit, the play is still there but it catches higher so I think its air in the lines or somethin like that...or maybe my clutch is dying, I hope not...but it could be.

Opinions and answers would be great.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Bleeding the Clutch

http://www.jimrothe.com/volvo/clutch_bleeding.html

http://hondaswap.com/general-tech-ma...h-fluid-53198/

http://www.miata.net/garage/clutch_bleed.html

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/arti...ur-clutch.html

5 mins of searching google.....

You didn't post driving habits or mileage, but those are signs of a dying clutch.

Last edited by Swansen; 03-18-2009 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I was hunting through the FAQ's, I figured it would be in there. my bad.

as for driving habits, I just got the thing. I used to have a 96, got rid of that, now I have a 97. It's had 1 owner all 12 years and its for 132k on it.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if its the original clutch at 132k, might be time for a new one!
Old 03-18-2009, 09:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Actually those are the signs of a dying slave or master cylinder... You need to replace 1 or both before they completely fail and leave you stranded...
Old 03-18-2009, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yea..I wasn't sure if it was the clutch dying or one of the cylinders. Would a bleed and refill help me at all? Is there any way to get that first inch or so of play out? is there an adjustment I can make or anythin? or just replace the master and slave?
Old 03-18-2009, 01:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Having a little play in the clutch is normal. However any more than 1 inch is indicative of a problem. Bleeding and refilling will temporarily fix the issue but this same series of problems happened to me. It could fail in 10 miles or 10,000 miles, it is best to just find the leak and replace the offending part...
Old 03-18-2009, 01:11 PM

if your clutch is stiff and works and theres free play you need to look up how to ADJUST the clutch not bleed it.

also like everyone is saying if your leaking at the master or the slave you need to replace those two. asap. unless you know how to drive with out a clutch.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is an adjustment on the clutch pedal end of the master cylinder, it's a 15mm nut I think. You can adjust out the one inch of play you are talking about, but you are supposed to have some play before the clutch disengages or you can run the risk of having it not fully engage when you foot is off the pedal. The other guys are right though, find the leaking part and replace one, or both since you're doing it. My slave went out on me a month or two ago, and I replaced both slave and master since I was already in there. It's maybe a hundred bucks for both parts, then install and bleed like your brakes, adjust that rod to get the amount of play you want, and go. BTW, my clutch used to engage just off the floor, and I thought it was a bad clutch, but after replacing the two parts, it was back to almost all the way out before engaging. Good times.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll have to look for this adjustment your talkin about, or if you have a picture that would be great. I'm gonna go out to the car now and take a look. but I assure you that nothing is leaking. I've checked all around. there's not a leak anywhere.

If you have a picture of this adjustment bolt that would be great. so ya think I dont need to do a bleed?
I just took a pic, can you tell me which bolt it is..

heh, its a bit dirty down the so please excuse that

Last edited by NightCat; 03-21-2009 at 11:44 AM.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Could anyone tell me which one I need to adjust to get that play out? its really quite the pain. MSPaint a circle around the bolt or whatever. do I just loosen it and pull the pedal forward and tighten it?
Old 03-24-2009, 12:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So loosen the nut "black circle" then turn the rod or shaft "pinkish arrow" and that will set the free play. Don't forget to tighten the nut back up to lock it.
Attached Images  
Old 03-24-2009, 12:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You got cruise control....lucky. Btw it's not going to be a leak that you will see on the ground. You gotta look closely under the rubber grommets that are on the master and slave. Good luck
Old 03-24-2009, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

BTW the service manual states that the clutch should have 1/2" - 3/4" free play...
Old 03-24-2009, 05:29 AM

Yes you should have "some" freeplay. I wouldn't adjust the clutch pedal unless you really think its been messed with. Freeplay is just the very loose part at the very top of the pedal where there is almost no resistance at all. My sisters accord is doing this exact same thing. I replaced a soft line from the clutch master to the slave and it got better but there is still probably a leak somewhere else now. So check very hard for a leak some where. That would be my bet.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:41 AM

okay... BOTTOM LINE.. OP are you losing clutch fluid????

if yes... look at the slave/master what ever line you can find. check the grommets and feel around. it might be leaking on the inside where you snapped the pictures..

if no... adjust your clutch, and leave a little bit of free play. so you clutch doesn't start slipping all the time.

i am beside my self with the answers and solutions people are giving you. its a simple hydraulic system. that also has adjustments to free play in the pedal. rickkane pointed out exactly how to adjust the pedal. you should be golden for now. if you aren't leaking (i bet you aren't) just adjust it. your clutch might be getting close to the end of its life. but i wouldn't worry about replacing it till you start slipping.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have no leaking at all. I'm just fairly sure its the pedal adjustment cause I seriously have an inch of nothing before any sort of pressure on the pedal happens.

Its snowing like a motha ****a right now but I'll adjust it tomorrow.

Thanks for the MSPaint diagram, all I needed right there :D

so I should leave some play? just not as much?
Old 03-26-2009, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Again the service manual calls for 1/2" to 3/4" of play. You should have some play...
Old 03-26-2009, 04:44 AM

the way i have adjusted mine is this.. i leave just enough play for it to "wiggle" but not a ton. then i take it for a drive... if the clutch slips under WOT then you need to loosen it a little bit more. sure its not to the service manuals standards. but i hate a ton of free play and this way you can get it as close as possible to being a tight pedal (but you will always have a little bit of wiggle room)
Old 03-26-2009, 12:40 PM

NO. You should not have to adjust the pedal at all. It is hydraulic, yes, just like brakes. Do you adjust them? No. The issue is lack of pressure. Check for leaks. Adjusting it will not fix your problem. You guys are misinterpreting what he means by free play. The free play is only at the very top where there is no resistance at all. Bottom line, if the clutch is slipping, replace it. Go drive it, and put it in 5th, when you accelerate you should have no jump in RPM's. If it jumps a few hundred before it actually grabs then you have a slipping clutch.