Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

better performance output for D series engines? bisimoto or An-R header?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 07:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: better performance output for D series engines? bisimoto or An-R header? (chad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
you give me a budget....i'll put that money into a b16 including SWAP and i will roll a SOHC!!! PERIOD</TD></TR></TABLE>

I doubt it... The money that it would take to build the d16 wouldn't even cover the cost of the b16. you just don't get it.

Anyways, to the original poster, I was talking to Will @ Exospeed the other day and asked a few questions about the bisi header and an-r header. From what I was told, the big difference between the 2 is the the Bisi header uses a real collector. For some reason, I *want* to say that it is a burns/merge collector, but don't quote me on that. I was told that the an-r is 4 pipes welded together.

As for the setup that this header was tested on. I believe that you can get the specs on the dyno sheet here :

http://www.hadamotorsport.com/....html

Believe that it was 11:1 compression, headwork and cam.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:13 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: better performance output for D series engines? bisimoto or An-R header? (JaeOne3345)

i am a pompus jackhole...

Modified by chad at 9:10 AM 12/10/2003
Old 12-10-2003, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: better performance output for D series engines? bisimoto or An-R header? (chad)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by chad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

exactly.....

build what you want but i'm not gonna spend 500 plus bucks on a header for a Dseries!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

OK? your point? dealing with the topic of this thread about HIS choice? doesn't appear to be one. Thanks chad but just let it go. Its pointless. You dont even care for sohc, nor do you own one, so why dont you just chill and not add any more to it? jeez man.
Old 12-10-2003, 07:47 AM

Default Re: better performance output for D series engines? bisimoto or An-R header? (JaeOne3345)

i think back in the days bisi was hitting 13's on a d16a6.....(that was during his early days, daily driven)

now why cant anyone but him make obscene amounts of power out of a d series?

back to the original question, i would buy bisi's header if i had money like that laying around, it seems as though he extracts 30 hp out of the air sometimes.

I think he knows his ****!
Old 12-10-2003, 07:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

have you seen dyno's on the bisimoto header? They make quite a good bit of power over a normal aftermarket header. I think they are worth the money.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: better performance output for D series engines? bisimoto or An-R header? (degooser)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by degooser &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i think back in the days bisi was hitting 13's on a d16a6.....(that was during his early days, daily driven)

now why cant anyone but him make obscene amounts of power out of a d series?

back to the original question, i would buy bisi's header if i had money like that laying around, it seems as though he extracts 30 hp out of the air sometimes.

I think he knows his ****!</TD></TR></TABLE>

bisi car was a drag car that probably weighed less than 1700lb's with driver....on slicks an A6 should pull it to 13's
Old 12-10-2003, 08:16 AM

bisi car was a drag car that probably weighed less than 1700lb's with driver....on slicks an A6 should pull it to 13's</TD></TR></TABLE>

true but i remember his car at carlsbad over here in CALI...all he had was one seat and that dash if i remember correctly in his blue CRX, no crazy cutting or anything....

my bro in his stock 91 si couldn't even hit a 15 on street tires...16.2 was his best...

do you think an a6 in a hf crx can really bust 13's?
Old 12-10-2003, 08:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: better performance output for D series engines? bisimoto or An-R header? (degooser)

stock crx si's with the a6 should pull somewhere around a 15.8 I believe.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Hello people, whatever happened to the header question?

talk about a hijacked thred!
Old 12-10-2003, 10:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Broke@$$tuner)

yea I agree lets just get back on track. More info on comparison's of these two headers
Old 12-10-2003, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: better performance output for D series engines? bisimoto or An-R header? (Juraks)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Juraks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">..i'm leaning more on the an-r simply because it looks like it does the same job as the bisimoto but alot cheaper
</TD></TR></TABLE>

wrong idea
you could argue the same thing regarding ebay header vs a dc sports, saying they look the same so it must do the same job, but in fact there is a difference.

Old 12-10-2003, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JaeOne3345 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

chad i respect your opinions and you are a knowledgable member of this board, but comments like that just throw the post wayyyy off, and then we get stupid bickering between dohc and sohc fans that goes on for like 6 pages over some DUMB ****. It will never end, its like a v8 guy telling someone with a b16 "get that piece of **** ricer jap crap engine out of there and get a real motor", it just starts war. or someone saying "dont buy that slow b16, build a b20 stroked turbo super blah blah motor.... its all preference. Afterall, there are people that build datsun 510 motors, pinto ford motors, peugeot Mi16 motors, etc etc.
Even though these motors may not be "the ****", some people still enjoy working with them, because they may not be so intrigued to "be the fastest". Some just get a kick out of building an engine, whether it be a 350 Chevy, a b16a, a go 125cc go kart engine, don't really matter, as long as you're just enjoying what you're doing.
Even if it was all in good fun, these comments just make what could be a good discussion for sohc fans, turn into a dumb *** flame war.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Very Very Very well said.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: better performance output for D series engines? bisimoto or An-R header? (SOHC_MShue)

damn..what happened to my thread?
Old 12-11-2003, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: better performance output for D series engines? bisimoto or An-R header? (Juraks)

bump
Old 12-11-2003, 08:19 PM
New User

Here is a couple of Dynoplots to have a look at ... of the Bisimoto header.

The info was snipped from The Hada Motorsports page http://www.hadamotorsport.com ... Specifically from a D-series Header comparasin that we put together. http://www.hadamotorsport.com/....html

The dyno graph above was supplied by 'Bisimoto Engineering of their 'Race' header on one of their D16 high compression prototype engines. This header made 10whp peak and 3 ft/lbs torque more than the $1300 popular race header.

The above dyno test was performed on September 2nd, 2003 by the HADA crew at TAG Motorsports in Oakville, Ontario on their Dynojet. The blue horsepower and torque curves were produced with a stock D16Z6 engine with a modified Z6 exhaust manifold where the downpipe was enlarged such that the inner diameter is 2.25'', a full 3/4'' larger than the stock downpipe We know from experience that this modification improves midrange considerably and helps peak horsepower by as much as 3-4whp on some Honda engines (ie. B16a). The 'Bisimoto header was then immediately installed and we produced the red horsepower and torque curves, showing an 8whp gain over our modified Z6 manifold. For a race header to produce such significant gains over a modified Z6 header on a completely stock engine (with over 200,000km on it!) is very impressive

I personally participated in the above BACK TO BACK comparasin of a tweeked Z6 manifold and the Bisi header. The untuned power gains were impressive ... since the Tweeked Z6 manifold flows as well as or better than most aftermarket headers.

Bisi and Exospeed make really good products at really reasonable prices ... I can recommend them first hand.

Cheers

Moose
Old 12-12-2003, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: better performance output for D series engines? bisimoto or An-R header? (igo4bmx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by igo4bmx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

wrong idea
you could argue the same thing regarding ebay header vs a dc sports, saying they look the same so it must do the same job, but in fact there is a difference.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
i'm gonna have to disagree with you. the an-r is stil a tubular header so all the tubes should be equal length as well as the bisimoto..but as my friend said..the longer the tubes the better gains you will get. and the an-r looks longer cause it has more dramatic curves...i could well make a custom header that makes as much gains as a regular tubular header made from bisimoto for alot cheaper..but i dont want to go through the trouble. and even if the bisimoto might make more gains than the an-r, i doubt it's that dramatic of a result compared to each other...all in all..i think an-r is the best bang for my buck
Old 12-12-2003, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Juraks &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
i'm gonna have to disagree with you. the an-r is stil a tubular header so all the tubes should be equal length as well as the bisimoto..but as my friend said..the longer the tubes the better gains you will get. and the an-r looks longer cause it has more dramatic curves...i could well make a custom header that makes as much gains as a regular tubular header made from bisimoto for alot cheaper..but i dont want to go through the trouble. and even if the bisimoto might make more gains than the an-r, i doubt it's that dramatic of a result compared to each other...all in all..i think an-r is the best bang for my buck</TD></TR></TABLE>

and you know this cuz youve seen an-r dyno charts for the sohc header? hmm..show me..cuz i still havent seen a sohc an-r dyno chart. thats my only gripe with that header.
Old 12-12-2003, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I havent read the complete post here but:

Keep in mind that the Bisimoto has a TRUE BURNS collector. if many of you know, the Burns collector is already like $150-200 just itself.
A true BURNS collector will make a difference over just a regular 4 pipes welded together to make it act like a Collector. Also the Bisimoto design has a venturi after the collector to help expel the gases faster and this resulting in a very efficient header.

These are the factors you guys should be choosing rather than price.

Efficient? I would think so:

Please check out the site http://www.burnsstainless.com Educate yourself with this type of technology. The top header designers and race teams use this type of collector. From NASCAR, NHRA, IDRC, HYTECH headers to even our street cars... this is the #1 collector used.

Modified by exospeedAMcrx at 4:42 PM 12/12/2003
Old 12-12-2003, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by degooser &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
do you think an a6 in a hf crx can really bust 13's?</TD></TR></TABLE>

I drove my CRX with D16A6 for 3-4 years. 35 MPG. Exospeed headwork with the SR909 camshaft and bolt ons. stock clutch. best time was 13.6@99mph.

Total investment at that time was about $2000.00 with all the bolt ons.
$995 Exospeed headwork and valvetrain
$250 DC header
$200 Exospeed Camshaft
$Free GSR stock intake rubber tube
Dynomax muffler with new 2.25 piping $250.00
M/T 20x8x14 slicks $300.00
$95 Exospeed ported TB
$250 Stock A6 motor.

Hmm about $2090.00 a bit over $2000. Can you hit 13's with a DOHC including buying a new motor for that much.

Modified by exospeedAMcrx at 4:43 PM 12/12/2003
Old 12-15-2003, 04:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: better performance output for D series engines? bisimoto or An-R header? (exospeedAMcrx)

Well said Wil!

yeah i've been a d16 fan for a while the only thing that sucks it the r/s ratio of those motors. Also spending that much on a header would be super nice to have but on a stock motor cam and redline/ecu fuel maps ... a DC header might be even better.

Old 12-15-2003, 05:29 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: better performance output for D series engines? bisimoto or An-R header? (exospeedAMcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by exospeedAMcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I drove my CRX with D16A6 for 3-4 years. 35 MPG. Exospeed headwork with the SR909 camshaft and bolt ons. stock clutch. best time was 13.6@99mph.

Total investment at that time was about $2000.00 with all the bolt ons.
$995 Exospeed headwork and valvetrain
$250 DC header
$200 Exospeed Camshaft
$Free GSR stock intake rubber tube
Dynomax muffler with new 2.25 piping $250.00
M/T 20x8x14 slicks $300.00
$95 Exospeed ported TB
$250 Stock A6 motor.

Hmm about $2090.00 a bit over $2000. Can you hit 13's with a DOHC including buying a new motor for that much.

Modified by exospeedAMcrx at 4:43 PM 12/12/2003</TD></TR></TABLE>

To put it into perspective my B18C5 runs 13.3@101mph.

If anyone wants to argue SOHC vs. DOHC then why choose the weak-*** B16A as an example to compare to? I have a B16A2 and I can tell you that it doesn't take much for a SOHC engine to lay down the low 140's whp that the average B16A puts down.

This topic has gotten way off the mark, but it has proven to be educational considering that good arguments have been made for the SOHC and against the B16A.

I'd build an LS engine before I'd build a B16A.
Old 12-15-2003, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JaeOne3345 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And about the an-r piece. I still have not seen a dyno sheet for the an-r sohc header. Does anyone have one?</TD></TR></TABLE> https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=644878
https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=641361
Old 12-15-2003, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you give me a budget....i'll put that money into a b16 including SWAP and i will roll a SOHC!!! PERIOD</TD></TR></TABLE>

hah , there is NO WAY.

put 2k into a D series and it will roll that little B16 , hell my 100% stock D16 beater layed down as much torque as most modded B16's I've seen , with a few mods it would eat a stock B16.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:20 AM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: better performance output for D series engines? bisimoto or An-R header? (Doctor CorteZ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Doctor CorteZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

hah , there is NO WAY.

put 2k into a D series and it will roll that little B16 , hell my 100% stock D16 beater layed down as much torque as most modded B16's I've seen , with a few mods it would eat a stock B16.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Amen.

Hell for $2,000.00 one could have a boosted SOHC and completely assrape a B16A.

..and before anyone talks crap about how a boosted B16A would be better, well sure it would be, but it would also cost at least $2,000 or more than the SOHC.

I have a B18C5, B16A2, and an 11:1Cr D16A6 so I can take part in these "arguments" with an open mind since I am dabbling with both the SOHC and DOHC.

I'm like a split personality really when it comes down to these engines. For my 1992 Cx I'm a little more liberal with funds. I'll buy what's the best that I can afford. for the SOHC 90 hatchback I'm very miserly/frugal with my money so I buy what works for the least amount of money.

I love both cars almost the same. The SOHC is fun because I built it with my hands myself and it runs perfectly. No smoke, no problems, etc. I will have fun making good numbers with it on a very limited bidget because I refuse to dump a lot of money into another car. I'll put on the worked A6 head I have for it and maybe a nice cam and see what happens.

I think before I'm done my little D16A6 will lay down B16A-like numbers for MUCH cheaper. While it won't have that "bling" appeal that swaps are known for, if it gets the job done for cheaper then if someone cannot respect that then they are into this **** for the wrong reasons IMO.
Old 12-15-2003, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: better performance output for D series engines? bisimoto or An-R header? (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Hell for $2,000.00 one could have a boosted SOHC and completely assrape a B16A.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

mmm , boost.

I'd still love to see a D series with a big ol' cam and ITB's though

Quick Reply: better performance output for D series engines? bisimoto or An-R header?