Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

best way to replace ek transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default best way to replace ek transmission

ok so i have a 96 civic hatchback automatic. i was told best way to replace is to jack the car up and drop the transmission from the bottom. i have a used ek transmission already to replace it with. anyone have any tips or maybe come across a write up on how to do this? ive pulled and replaced engines before, but im pretty new when it comes to EVERYTHING. i learn quick though and im mechanically inclined. this is my second car so even if it takes me a week to do its fine. any helps is appreciated. thanks
Old 05-15-2009, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: best way to replace ek transmission

Personally I'd drop the engine and transmission and do it out of the car then slap it all back in, but that's just me. It would also give you a chance to check over everything, look for leaks, cracking wires, etc. But I'm told I like to over do things.

TMNT is the mother f-n cartoon!
Old 05-15-2009, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

place jack on motor too, wile car is taised and just start wrenching that bitch. do this opereation backward to achieve desired goal...shouldn't come across anything weird. just as you take off you will do to put back...good luck, and dont swat it.
Old 05-15-2009, 09:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Jack the car up..Put it on jacks...Put a jack under the engine and put a nice chunky wood block between the jack and oil pan so u wont mess it up..Tie engine hoist To tranny and start unbolting it..Once u take all the bolts and Tranny mount out ur going to have to shake the transmission loose..or pry it loose..be careful doing damage though..once its off move it around till it goes under the engine bay..Or you could easily lift it over the car with the engine hoist ...slowly drop it and ur ready.. I Had to do this about 3 times in the same day.. Just to look inside the Tranny and double make sure The clutch and Flywheel were on right..Gears wern't going in..lol
Old 05-15-2009, 10:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^ That would help if the transmission wasnt automatic. Search on here for a write-up or buy a Helms, Haynes or Chiltons manual. The easiest way to do it is through the bottom with the right set of tools, 32MM Axles Socket, 19mm, 17mm, 14mm, 12mm,
10mm, Breaker bar, Jackstands, 17mm Box wrench, Pliers to remove the cotter pins from the lower ball joint, sledge hammer, flathead ( To keep axle from spinning while your break the axle nut loose), various extensions, I'm more then likely forgetting somethings but o well.The best tip to give you is have someone that has done it before overlook your work so you don't make stupid mistakes that youll regret. remove the two back mount bolts before you do the passenger side mount, Make sure that there are no more 17mm bolts holding the tranny to the block before you try and break it off, Ive seen people crack casings due to this overlook, Take your time and if a nut or bolt is giving you a problem walk away and calm down before you end up punchin in a fender or something. Dont forget to take the torque converter bolts out before breaking the trans loose also.
Old 05-16-2009, 05:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

alright guys thanks for the info. im picking up the car in about 4 hours. ill let you know how it goes and im sure ill have a few more questions to ask.
Old 05-16-2009, 02:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DownShiftPerformDC2
^^^ That would help if the transmission wasnt automatic. Search on here for a write-up or buy a Helms, Haynes or Chiltons manual. The easiest way to do it is through the bottom with the right set of tools, 32MM Axles Socket, 19mm, 17mm, 14mm, 12mm,
10mm, Breaker bar, Jackstands, 17mm Box wrench, Pliers to remove the cotter pins from the lower ball joint, sledge hammer, flathead ( To keep axle from spinning while your break the axle nut loose), various extensions, I'm more then likely forgetting somethings but o well.The best tip to give you is have someone that has done it before overlook your work so you don't make stupid mistakes that youll regret. remove the two back mount bolts before you do the passenger side mount, Make sure that there are no more 17mm bolts holding the tranny to the block before you try and break it off, Ive seen people crack casings due to this overlook, Take your time and if a nut or bolt is giving you a problem walk away and calm down before you end up punchin in a fender or something. Dont forget to take the torque converter bolts out before breaking the trans loose also.

My car wasnt automatic
Old 05-16-2009, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok so far so good. i bought a haynes manual this morning, picked up the car a little after noon, started working on it at 6 and stopped at 10pm. the transmission is all unhooked and my car is on stands in my driveway. i took the advice of having an experienced friend help. he's pretty much doing it all, but im watching and if i ever have to do it myself im pretty sure i could do it myself. biggest bitch so far was the passenger axle nut wouldnt come off so we disassembled everything around it and left the hub connected to the axle and pulled the rest off with it attached. car should be driving tomorrow.