Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

bent valves on D16y7 (1997 honda civic Lx) please help.................

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bent valves on D16y7 (1997 honda civic Lx) please help.................

I have a 1997 Honda Civic Lx (D16y7). It was running very good until a few weeks ago, it won't start. so this is what i did:

1. Checked (valves bent on intake side), changed valves and timing belt, runs great for a day then died two days later.

2. checked (valves bent again on intake side) and there were also some sticky brown liquid sticking around the valves.

3. so i thought something is wrong with the whole engine or head, so i went to buy
an engine to replace mine. it ran fine for a day and it won't start again. i checked and the valves bent the same as the old one. So i returned the engine to the shop and pickup another one. i had it install and it ran fine for about two hours before it die again. So i opened the head and found the same problem that i had with the first two engines.

I already replaced the ignition cap and rotor, but not the Ignition Distributor. also, i checked the fuel injectors and spark plug wires and they all work fine.

So what do you guys think the problem might be? im thinking that it might be the
timing tensioner or the ignition distributor.

Please help,

Chong Vang

Old 03-23-2008, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: bent valves on D16y7 (1997 honda civic Lx) please help................. (gummybear)

Ok, i think this has to be one of few things. Either you need a valve adjustment bad or its the t-belt tensioner, cam gear, or woodruf key the keep the cam gear in place. Some thing is making the valve stay out longer than it should and i think these are the only things that would let it do so. The brown sticky stuff is probably oil that has came from a damaged valve seal due to the bending valves. Seeing as how where your at now though, with bent valve (again) and a/few possible bad valve seals now, it would probably be cheaper to just get another head, but check the t-belt tensioner too for insurance.