Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Been driving without a crank pulley bolt

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Been driving without a crank pulley bolt

I bought my car with misfire and oil burn issue with the hope of fixing it but the mechanic made me wait 2 weeks as he was busy. So in the meantime I've driven around 800 miles lightly with a little VTEC. The other day I needed to change the tyre so took wheel off and found what seems to be a crank pulley bolt lying between the suspension fork. I don't know how long it has been there but when I bought the car, the engine would always vibrate on start up and the car was parked up for 2 years as the previous owner had died so I bought it off his father. God knows how long the bolt has been loose but I'm bit worried whether I soon will have a bottom end knock or not? I'm getting the full head rebuilt by the mechanic but hate it to spend all that money and then soon have a bottom end knock. I'm better off with a new engine but then I don't know. It could be after rebuild the engine will be fine but I just don't know. I'm not an expert but could some one clarify what damage does it cause if driving without crank pulley bolt for lets say 5000 miles?
Old 06-29-2016, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Been driving without a crank pulley bolt

Lol.. you're lucky your crank pully hasn't come flying off!

I don't think it's a question so much of what damage would have been caused over time as much as it is what damage will be caused when it does fly off.

Get a bolt on there ASAP. If it Flys off, it's heavy and sure to do damage inside your engine bay plus your accessory belts (a/c, p/s, alternator) all run off that pully, so they'll all come off and probably get tangled.

Also, separately, if you're having a head rebuilt and have bottom end issues, doesn't mean your money is wasted, just pull the head and put it on a better bottom.

That said, if the crank key was also missing, which it very likely is after the bolt coming off,, it's possible that the crankshaft was spinning inside the pully, this could explain the vibration on start up (could be other things too). I don't think it would have caused much/any damage to the crank or mains unless it was seriously jerking/slipping/jerking/slipping.

Don't forget the key when you replace the bolt! You may need to go to a junk yard to get it. It's literally like a 2mm x 3mm x 2mm piece of steel. Super easy to lose.