Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Battery Issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Issues

So I had to buy a new battery so I went out and splurged and bought the PC680. Hooked it up and all is fine for the first few start-ups, then out of nowhere the starter starts clicking like a dead battery. Checked the voltage on it and it's 12.56. Pop started it and checked the voltage coming off the alternator at the battery and its at 13.73. Is the alternator supposed to be AT 14 or right around? Any ideas?
Old 05-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Battery Issues (Pure Sol)

Did you check your connections to make sure they were all tight?
Old 05-05-2008, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Battery Issues (wonder squirrel)

Yup, all tight and clean.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Do you have a way of checking the CCA and CA of the battery?

That battery is tiny and I've seen people have no problems with them, and some people have the same problem you are.
Old 05-05-2008, 06:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (duggy)

How would I go about checking that? Being in Florida I would think the CCA is less important than the CA but if there is a way of checking them let me know and I will.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Pure Sol)

only way of checking them is putting it on a battery tester really, if you dont have one just take it to your nearest advance auto, autozone whatever store is close to you and they can test it in about 5 minutes
Old 05-06-2008, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civgt28)

Yeah about them, took the old battery there and they said it was fine. Went for a second opinion at Batteries Plus, within a minute of them putting it on the machine they said it was a bad cell. What I'm looking for though is a way to test how many amps I'm drawing when I try and start the car. Also with that battery, what's the lowest voltage I should see without anything on? For example, with all doors closed and key out I put the DMM across positive and negative and I get 12.53.
Old 05-06-2008, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So I've been monitoring the car and the voltage on the battery is at 12.74 and has been stable for quite a few hours. However, I noticed that when I disconnect the negative side and hold a test light to the negative terminal and body ground I get a brief flash of light from the test light. Any thoughts on this?
Old 05-06-2008, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How about a short? Any way to test for this?
Old 05-07-2008, 05:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 05-07-2008, 07:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I had a similar problem with my optima yellow top. One of the links between the cells came loose and sometimes going over a bump or a shift in the battery would cause it to drop off. If its a bad cell, them all you can really do is send it back to the manufacturer to get a replacement or just buy a new one. I did and all is good now.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Speed94)

I'll have to try that. Anyone else have an idea on what it could be? The battery is stable at 12.6 and has been for the past few days without anything done to the car. I'm having a hard time figuring this out and I've gotten help from H-T before so I'm hoping this time works out as well.

Just got back from the store and they load tested the battery and its reading fine. Any other ideas?

Modified by Pure Sol at 2:22 PM 5/8/2008
Old 05-08-2008, 10:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Load testing wont help if its a loose link between the cells. borrow a battery from a friend or get a new one and put it in the car. I can almost say with certainty that the new battery will be fine. worse comes to worse you can always return the battery if thats not the case. Mine read fine also and tested fine, but once I changed the battery everything was good. Try it...it doesnt hurt and no one else seems to have any suggestions for you so you are just delaying the inevitable.
Old 05-08-2008, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you do have a point on that one....

So just put my buddies 2500 turbo diesel battery on it and didn't turn over either...starter maybe binding up?

Took the starter out and hooked it up straight to the battery, pops and spins fine...now what?

Modified by Pure Sol at 3:12 PM 5/8/2008

Modified by Pure Sol at 3:38 PM 5/8/2008
Old 05-08-2008, 11:49 AM

Sounds like you have an open circuit.. Draining power.. Might not be same problem. Turned out it was just a very super loose ground on the altenator.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont think that just because the starter pops and spins fine when its out of the car necessarily means its ok. Its a lot different when there is a load on it. I would say swap the starter with your friend to see, but I highly doubt it will fit lol. You can always go buy one at an autoparts stare and return it if its not the problem. Sucks I know, but the only thing you can do is try one thing at a time at this point. I've done that plenty of times lol.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm abit unclear on your problem. Are you having problems starting your car, or maintaining it after you have started it once or twice?
Old 05-11-2008, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Battery Issues (Pure Sol)

Hey man, i actually glad i stumbled upon your topic, because i work at Batteries Plus.

And yes, by using a battery tester than tests the voltage and uses a load-bearing system to test how the battery takes the load is really the only way to go to get it checked fast and correctly. The PC680 is an Odyssey, and those are very good batteries. My assistant manager has had his for 5 years and it's going strong as hell.

As long as it's a Group 51R battery, it should fit your Del Sol (i figure it's the same battery in other 92 - 95 Civics). If you went for an Optima, yea, a Yellow-Top is what goes in most, if not all cars. They are especially nice for sweet car audio set-ups.

There are several possibilities, if it isn't your alternator (which is a common problem), it could be your wiring. Sometimes there is something that is interrupting the circuit. If your connectors are clean (and together, i had to someone who's problem was a small split in the connector and it was fvcking it up, lol). Be sure your connectors are tightly attached to the wiring. It really could be a lot of differant things. And make SURE your collision bracket is holding your battery in place, if the battery is sliding around, it will mess up the connection and possibly the wiring.

I know at my location if some guy comes in and wants things checked out, we at least try to tell him what's wrong by inspecting it.

EDIT: As far as testing how much you draw, the battery should read over 12v when it's sitting. While running it naturally drops to 10v (EVERY battery does it, so don't sweat that, it's natural for the battery to lose a bit when you put a load on it, 10v is the ballpark). You can also do an alternator test (there are tons of threads, instructions and videos via Google search).Now, if you're running the car and it keeps dying because of your audio or video or whatever, then the battery is too weak, go for an Optima Yellow-Top.

Hit me up with any questions about battery crap.

Modified by Sprinter86 at 10:41 PM 5/11/2008
Old 05-11-2008, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Battery Issues (Sprinter86)

I got it! I bet i know what has to be wrong!

I just thought about it for a minute! The Odyssey PC680 is used in Motorcycles (and sometimes ATV's) not cars! My assistant manager uses them in his custom choppers!

What you're using is a motorcycle battery in a car, get that outta there! I know Batteries Plus can get you one.

Your options there are Werker 51R (Item # SLI51R-ULT) which is the standard battery, or the Optima Yellow-Top.

Here is the details on the Odyssey PC680 you bought, a high end motorcycle battery:
http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc680.htm

Here's the Werker 51R (the factory spec one):
http://www.batteriesplus.com/p....aspx

And here's the Optima Yellow-Top:

Hit me up with any other questions or concerns!

Old 05-11-2008, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Battery Issues (Sprinter86)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sprinter86 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
What you're using is a motorcycle battery in a car, get that outta there! I know Batteries Plus can get you one.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

man's right!
Old 05-13-2008, 05:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Battery Issues (dangthemang)

Some final stuff to clear up.

Not all Odyssey batteries are for motorcycles, though most of them are. (i might have given that impression by accident). It's just the one you got, the PC680 is a motorcycle one.

If you still wanted an Odyssey battery for your car, pick up a PC1200. You can get them at Batteries Plus, or if you want to go through Password JDM, they carry them too (i'm sure other places do, i'm just keeping it simple.)

http://www.passwordjdm.com/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=509

You can buy them with or without metal jackets, it's more of a cosmetic thing, but whatever.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:02 AM
Ridin Dirty in Cali

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: Battery Issues

I know this is old.
But i have a pc680 in my race car. Never a problem until i changed a transmission.
Check your engine grounds and make sure they are tight.
My tranny ground was stripped and caused exactly what was going on here.
grounds.. check your grounds.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Battery Issues

This old problem is almost surely long solved or forgotten.