Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

battery died after installing alt belt

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 03:19 AM
GarageAlchemist

Default battery died after installing alt belt

installed a new alternator belt, it has a little play.. but i take it didn't charge the battery cause its ethier too tight, or too loose. So... how do i find out, or anything know..

it ran fine for a little bit, but then died, wouldn't crank over, kept trying and trying and the battery is dead. I used a breaker bar to push the belt tigther.. i dunno guys what do you think ?
Old 02-23-2006, 06:16 AM
GarageAlchemist

Default Re: battery died after installing alt belt (GarageAlchemist)

k, charged the battery, installed, wouldn't crank, loosened the belt, went to crank but the battery was low.. any idears
Old 02-23-2006, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does the alternator pully spin freely??
Old 02-23-2006, 06:54 AM
GarageAlchemist

Default Re: battery died after installing alt belt (sicones)

hmm, we'll i did try to pull it and it wouldn't move.. i thught maybe it was too tight.

I'm thinking i put the belt on too tight, and it warped the bearings,pully, what not and that caused the engine to stop, battery wasn't getting charged and died.

I want to replace the alt as a last resort, but it seems thats a upcomming option. My girlfriend is gonna come and jump me later on, more options should be clear after that.

Thanks for the reply thow
Old 02-23-2006, 07:00 AM
GarageAlchemist

hmm, i have a 99 dx alterantor, 4 wire it looks, think its a direct swap
Old 02-23-2006, 08:42 AM
GarageAlchemist

or not
Old 02-23-2006, 11:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by GarageAlchemist &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">hmm, i have a 99 dx alterantor, 4 wire it looks, think its a direct swap</TD></TR></TABLE>

A direct swap for what?? You never told us what car you're troubleshooting.

Does the belt squeal when started cold? The belt should deflect a little over 1/4" when pressing in the center of it with some force.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:19 AM
GarageAlchemist

Default Re: battery died after installing alt belt (EE_Chris)

naa, it's not a swap, the car is a 91 dx civic, i'm guessing the belt was too tight or too loose and wasn't pulling, i ust checked and it spins freely, i tried jumping with it really tight and it wouldn't crank, then blew the main fuse, gonna go try now with it a bit looser and a new main fuse and a fully charged battery
Old 02-24-2006, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its not supposed to be extremely tight. There definately has to be a little bit of play in it. Its possible you just got a bad altenator. The re built ones are notorious for shitting out and not working right out of the box. If you can get the car to a shop to test and see if its putting out the correct voltage that would make things a hella lot easier. They can measure battery voltage both with a running motor and a motor thats off. They will test for voltage coming into the battery for correct charging. You should make sure the battery is charged fully when you do this so you can tell if the alternator is charging correctly and to make it a lot better when trying to figure the problem out.

Oh and if its not the correct altenator for the car, odds are its not gonna work properly.

I had a problem with my car where the voltage would drop and it was first because of a bad alternator and then because i didnt fully charge the battery. If the battery isnt fully charged on first start up you will never be able to gain full charge with the altenator....... Hope that helps.