Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

BAR'ing my GSR swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 07:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BAR'ing my GSR swap

Hey guys...I was hoping to get some feedback from someone who has been through the California BAR process here...

I have a GSR motor that has been somewhat "piecemealed" together. In other words, the block I got from a friend of mine, the head is from my old Integra, and the transmission is from a yard. The block is a '94, going into a '93 DX Civic.

Here is the dilemma: The VIN on the block is missing, but has a readable serial# and stamped code. In addition, the paper barcode thing on the transmission housing also fell off at some point about five years ago.

My question is...when I get there, is the ref going to immediately ask for a paper trail on the motor? Or will he/she just do the visual and sniffer and go from there? I don't want to call the BAR and ask my local ref just yet, as it may open up a can of worms. At the same time, I don't want to wait till I'm finished with the entire swap, only to go to the ref and find out my block is a boat anchor.

Any tips?
Old 02-06-2012, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: BAR'ing my GSR swap

Bump...anyone ?
Old 02-06-2012, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When I went their main concern was of course that all of the emission and evap stuff was connected, obviously. I didn't have my evap purge solenoid connected (pretty sure that was it). they did not ask much about the engine, but I did fail in part for it being too "loud" they tried to tell me they wouldn't even sniff it with it sounding like that (they thought my valves needed to be adjusted) Tried explaining it was my LMA's that were bad and my valves were to spec but it was no use. As for the transmission serial, mine is also missing, no biggie.

Obviously, make sure you have carb number for any parts that require one, although my exhaust is aftermarket and no carb number and they didn't give me any problems, but for something like an air intake, ya know. They thought my headers were aftermarket just cause i painted them black haha.

Don't be afraid to call and set up an appointment, its only 8.25 and they wont charge you if you fail. The place I went to was super cool about everything, I failed a month ago and still haven't gone back...and get this, when i went back into the dmv they told me I don't need smog...for what reason I have no idea after a title transfer and everything...me thinks the Bar guy had something to do with it.

If your in LA area I'll let ya know where the place was it was at a college.

Hope this helps

Old 02-06-2012, 12:00 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

OBD1 blocks and transmission don't have a green VIN tag so don't worry about it.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluemesiguey
When I went their main concern was of course that all of the emission and evap stuff was connected, obviously. I didn't have my evap purge solenoid connected (pretty sure that was it). they did not ask much about the engine, but I did fail in part for it being too "loud" they tried to tell me they wouldn't even sniff it with it sounding like that (they thought my valves needed to be adjusted) Tried explaining it was my LMA's that were bad and my valves were to spec but it was no use. As for the transmission serial, mine is also missing, no biggie.

Obviously, make sure you have carb number for any parts that require one, although my exhaust is aftermarket and no carb number and they didn't give me any problems, but for something like an air intake, ya know. They thought my headers were aftermarket just cause i painted them black haha.

Don't be afraid to call and set up an appointment, its only 8.25 and they wont charge you if you fail. The place I went to was super cool about everything, I failed a month ago and still haven't gone back...and get this, when i went back into the dmv they told me I don't need smog...for what reason I have no idea after a title transfer and everything...me thinks the Bar guy had something to do with it.

If your in LA area I'll let ya know where the place was it was at a college.

Hope this helps

they didn't ask what type of motor u swaped in b18b b18c? i want to try an bar a lsv probably can't though