Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Bad Thermostat causes Radiator Fan to not kick on? More Cooling related questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad Thermostat causes Radiator Fan to not kick on? More Cooling related questions...

Well I checked the fuses, looked at the relay, checked the wiring all the way to the thermoswitch and everything looks to be normal. The fan never comes on at all. Another problem though is when you open the radiator cap when the car is running, it usually over flows and nothing is circulating through the radiator Inside the car, the guage always reads under the half way mark and never says it runs hot, but the engine bay feels to be much warmer than normal, and there is a ton of pressure in the top radiator hose and not much in the lower.

The reason I figured out something was wrong in the first place, was my car was parked in the driveway running and noticed coolant poured all out from underneath, then the overflow tank was almost empty. All the hoses and everything seems nice and tight.

So my question is, replace the thermostat only, or does it sound like the fan is broken too? Or could it be something else I'm overlooking?

I don't have much money right now, so it sucks I can't just go out and replace everything. I need to make sure I don't spend time/money on the wrong stuff

Engine is a stock D16Y7 by the way, 169K miles
Old 06-18-2007, 07:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Bad Thermostat causes Radiator Fan to not kick on? More Cooling related questions... (JUSTIN COR

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JUSTIN CORBITT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well I checked the fuses, looked at the relay, checked the wiring all the way to the thermoswitch and everything looks to be normal. The fan never comes on at all. Another problem though is when you open the radiator cap when the car is running, it usually over flows and nothing is circulating through the radiator Inside the car, the guage always reads under the half way mark and never says it runs hot, but the engine bay feels to be much warmer than normal, and there is a ton of pressure in the top radiator hose and not much in the lower.

The reason I figured out something was wrong in the first place, was my car was parked in the driveway running and noticed coolant poured all out from underneath, then the overflow tank was almost empty. All the hoses and everything seems nice and tight.

So my question is, replace the thermostat only, or does it sound like the fan is broken too? Or could it be something else I'm overlooking?

I don't have much money right now, so it sucks I can't just go out and replace everything. I need to make sure I don't spend time/money on the wrong stuff

Engine is a stock D16Y7 by the way, 169K miles </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll be honest, I didn't read any of your post.

I just read the title, yes, a bad thermostat will cause the radiator fan not to kick on. Before 100 people tell me I'm wrong I can tell them to stick it up their ***. I've seen too many setups where people change coolant lines - it jams up the thermostat, and the fan doesn't kick on. Most probable reason? Without the thermostat opening - the water isn't circulating, without it circulating the hot coolant from the engine isn't moving past the coolant temperature sensor, without the hot coolant moving past the coolant temperature sensor, the fan won't kick on.

We just had this problem w/ my friend's boosted DX (or maybe it's an LX) '00 Accord (F23A5) when we boosted it. We had to run the coolant lines around and all that moving of coolant lines jammed up the thermo. 'Caused no fluid movement in one of our hoses (to the heater core), overheating, natural disaster, etc. Changed the thermostat and everything was peachy.

Hope that helped, sorry I didn't have time to read the post, if it's not fixed later I'll read the post - thermostats are cheap, like 12 bucks.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bad Thermostat causes Radiator Fan to not kick on? More Cooling related questions... (JUSTIN COR

No, thanks, that helped a lot I went and got a thermostat this morning, a gasket, and some coolant for $20, hopefully it does the trick.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did it work?
Old 07-06-2007, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump
Old 02-17-2015, 05:02 PM
Trial User

Default Re: Bad Thermostat causes Radiator Fan to not kick on? More Cooling related questions

Originally Posted by Syndacate
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JUSTIN CORBITT &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well I checked the fuses, looked at the relay, checked the wiring all the way to the thermoswitch and everything looks to be normal. The fan never comes on at all. Another problem though is when you open the radiator cap when the car is running, it usually over flows and nothing is circulating through the radiator Inside the car, the guage always reads under the half way mark and never says it runs hot, but the engine bay feels to be much warmer than normal, and there is a ton of pressure in the top radiator hose and not much in the lower.

Engine is a stock D16Y7 by the way, 169K miles </TD></TR></TABLE>

I'll be honest, I didn't read any of your post.

I just read the title, yes, a bad thermostat will cause the radiator fan not to kick on. Before 100 people tell me I'm wrong I can tell them to stick it up their ***. I've seen too many setups where people change coolant lines - it jams up the thermostat, and the fan doesn't kick on. Most probable reason? Without the thermostat opening - the water isn't circulating, without it circulating the hot coolant from the engine isn't moving past the coolant temperature sensor, without the hot coolant moving past the coolant temperature sensor, the fan won't kick on.

We just had this problem w/ my friend's boosted DX (or maybe it's an LX) '00 Accord (F23A5) when we boosted it. We had to run the coolant lines around and all that moving of coolant lines jammed up the thermo. 'Caused no fluid movement in one of our hoses (to the heater core), overheating, natural disaster, etc. Changed the thermostat and everything was peachy.

Hope that helped, sorry I didn't have time to read the post, if it's not fixed later I'll read the post - thermostats are cheap, like 12 bucks.

I dont have a honda but could this be the same thing on my vw jetta? Car stays at 190° never over heats but cooling fan dont cut on unless a/c is on then both fans cut on.