Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

bad thermostat?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad thermostat?

ok i have searched and couldnt really find the answer i was looking for. i swapped a d16z6 into a 93 cx hatch. ever since the swap i have had non-stop overheating problems. i would fix one and another one would pop up. so tonight as i was driving it on the interstate, i notice the temperature go up to almost 3/4 the way to hot. it went back down so i really didnt worry about it. i got back in my car about 2 hours later and was going to meet some friends about 20 mins away. the whole time over there, the temperature gauge never moved. as i was going home i stopped at taco bell to get some food and sat in the drive through for at least 10 mins...the temp stayed exactly the same-never moved from right below half way. so i get my food and start to get on the interstate again and the temp went up to where it did before. it stayed up there longer this time but never really got all the way to the "h" then it finally went down and i drove it home. i dont understand why it goes up sometimes but as your sittin in traffic or a drive through it doesnt. does anyone have any ideas on what i should replace? it also has a new radiator, alot of new hoses (alot were busted after the swap), new thermostat (but i think its sticking), and all the antifreeze was full about a week ago...but im not losing it anywhere so it should still be there lol. i was wondering if it could be the thermostat or the water pump. and what, if any, are signs of a water pump going bad?
Old 02-05-2008, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: bad thermostat? (slo_hatch)

If the top water hose gets hot and the bottom one remains cold after running for a while, then your thermostat is bad.

I've never had a water pump go out, but I would think if you had a bad water pump, your car would overheat quickly and consistently.