Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Bad bogging?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad bogging?

Hey guys,

d15b7, all stock.. Started bogging REALLY badly this morning. I would equate it to someone choking another person for a few seconds, and then letting go so oxygen can get in. (Once I got through the lower rpm's it would at least go without feeling like it was going to blow up..)

It has done this a tiny bit (usually first start of the day, very momentarily, and then is fine for the rest of the day) previously, but today was the first time it's been really bad for longer than a moment.

Thoughts? I don't think it was an ignition/fuel thing (since it worked fine once it got up in the rpm's)... Sensor maybe?

Any help would be great!

Thanks.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Bad bogging?

Does it do it when cold or warm?
Is it getting worse?
When was the last time the O2 sensor was replaced?
Old 08-04-2010, 12:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

When did you last tune up the ignition system and check the ignition timing?

Any CEL codes?
Old 08-06-2010, 04:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

once the car is actually warmed up, it is fine. Seems it is the initial start of the day that is the problem.

The car wouldn't start at all this morning - I popped the hood, had a quick look at grounds, made sure wires were tight on the dizzy and spark plug covers, and attempted a start again..

It barely started, started making the terrible "I'm gasping for air" thing again, and then a funny thing - when my foot came off the brake (it's a standard and I'm on a hill, I put it back into neutral with the e-brake on), it came to life... it still bogged a bit when I drove it, but once it warmed up it seemed fine...

It's been a while since the 02 sensor was replaced. I don't know that I've put one on the car since I owned it to be honest.

As far as a tune up, what do you mean? Cap, plugs, wires, etc? If so, it's been a while on that front as well.

There is a CEL that I've had for a while. I'll check and make sure there are no new ones, but the previous one was a sensor in the dizzy that would occassionally act up (wasn't a constant issue).

Should I start and do some basic tune up stuff and see where that lands me? Maybe replace the o2 sensor while I'm at it?
Old 08-06-2010, 06:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 95civhb
As far as a tune up, what do you mean? Cap, plugs, wires, etc? If so, it's been a while on that front as well.

There is a CEL that I've had for a while. I'll check and make sure there are no new ones, but the previous one was a sensor in the dizzy that would occassionally act up (wasn't a constant issue).
1) The distributor sensor code must be fixed. Pull the CEL codes now and post them.

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-civic-del-sol-1992-2000-1/how-pull-cel-d4-srs-abs-codes-code-lists-1901557/

2) Replace the spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, and rotor.
Old 08-06-2010, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

See, the other thing that doesn't make sense though is that this is only on initial start and first few minutes of operation. You would think if it was ignition related that I would have the problems consistently, wouldn't you? I had a few other odd things in my mind (eg. clogged cat, grounds, etc), but I'm stumped...

Right now I am at work. I'll pull the codes when I get home.

The sensor that had gone in the distributor cost more to replace than getting a whole new distributor. I guess I'll probably just have to bite the bullet and get a new dizzy..

I'll pull the codes when I get home, order a new dizzy and I'll get some new plugs and wires. Hopefully the old girl will keep together long enough for that.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

update:

Car wouldn't start this morning at all. I have ordered a distributor. It rained last night, so I suspect that's the issue.

I'm going to do the following at the same time:

-replace one ground
-plugs, wires

Hopefully that'll take care of the issue altogether.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 95civhb
update:

Car wouldn't start this morning at all. I have ordered a distributor. It rained last night, so I suspect that's the issue.

I'm going to do the following at the same time:

-replace one ground
-plugs, wires

Hopefully that'll take care of the issue altogether.
Did you verify weak or no spark? Is a distributor sensor code thrown?
Old 08-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Had same prob with my '99 but ended up being cat on the manifold plugged up. Got so bad car wouldn't start
Old 08-13-2010, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
Did you verify weak or no spark? Is a distributor sensor code thrown?
I didn't have a chance to check spark, but I did pull the codes, and it was code 9.. That would explain the random misfires I've been experiencing.

I am going to put the new dizzy on tomorrow. Any tips? Is it just as simple as remove old, put on new?

My buddy mentioned timing - should I let a shop deal with putting the dizzy on? I don't have a timing light.

I saw a DIY on youtube that seemed fairly straight forward. My one concern is timing, that I don't mess something up with that.

Any suggestions/pics/vids are appreciated.

ystop: That was one thing that I wondered about. I'll throw this distributor on (since it's throwing the code I suspect that's the problem), but if issues continue I may check that after I do a full tune up..
Old 08-13-2010, 06:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump...

anyone have a DIY on distributor replacement?
Old 08-13-2010, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good luck on the dizzy. Might be on the right track. There's a thread on here that tells you what all your c.e.l. codes are too, so check that out if you haven't already.

P.S.
The link below is where I downloaded my service manual from. It's the ENTIRE manual fully scanned into a PDF file. FOR FREE!!!!! I saved a copy for myself on my computer and am happy to report it was a clean file.

http://www.ebooksquad.com/2009/05/08...ce-manual.html