Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

bad alternator or battery

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bad alternator or battery

I left my fog lights on a couple times and had to get a jump from someone... eventually i had to put the battery on a charger and then it would never hold a charge.... switched the battery but still have the same problem.. i'd be driving down the road and the car would slowly die starting with the cd player ending with the car shutting off. just switched the alternator to a good one, and my battery light is still on. after i drive around for a while it goes off but still comes off and on whenever it feels like it i guess..... any suggestions?
Old 12-20-2007, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: bad alternator or battery (mycivicswaylow53)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mycivicswaylow53 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I left my fog lights on a couple times and had to get a jump from someone... eventually i had to put the battery on a charger and then it would never hold a charge.... switched the battery but still have the same problem.. i'd be driving down the road and the car would slowly die starting with the cd player ending with the car shutting off. just switched the alternator to a good one, and my battery light is still on. after i drive around for a while it goes off but still comes off and on whenever it feels like it i guess..... any suggestions? </TD></TR></TABLE>

if you have replaced all these parts and the light is still on i sugest you have the battery re-checked. speaking through my experience, the battery is most likely low on cranking amps, which in turn will ruin the alternator after a period of time.
Old 12-20-2007, 01:18 PM

Default Re: bad alternator or battery (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

if you have replaced all these parts and the light is still on i sugest you have the battery re-checked. speaking through my experience, the battery is most likely low on cranking amps, which in turn will ruin the alternator after a period of time. </TD></TR></TABLE>

how would a battery with low cca ruin an alternator.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

low CCA causes the alternator to charge the battery more vigerously when the car is started, especially when drained to nothing.
more wear on alternator, shorter life span.

It will also cause the alternator to strain when at a stop light with the wipers and lights on. IE more wear on it.

those are the two ways I can think of at the moment.

OP: try wiggling your connections to the alternator and battery. If one is loose it will cause what you described.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:41 PM

Default Re: bad alternator or battery (mycivicswaylow53)

pull your battery out and get it tested. i'm sure it is bad.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: bad alternator or battery (archuletac)

You could take it to autozone or a csk and have both the alternator and the battery tested.