Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

b20/vtec or type r

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2002, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b20/vtec or type r

i just crashed my h22 eg..... i wanna sell the motor and start over with either b20/vtec or jdm b18c..... buck for buck wich one is better?
Old 11-29-2002, 05:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: b20/vtec or type r (zrdeg)

hmm... wouldnt you want to replace the car not the engine is you crashed?
Old 11-29-2002, 06:07 PM

Default Re: b20/vtec or type r (chameleon)

already have that one figured out
Old 11-29-2002, 06:22 PM

What do you want to do with the car? How fast do you want it? I know what I would do/did. "R"
Old 11-29-2002, 06:27 PM

Go with the Type R, you won't regret it.

The B20VTEC can get big power, but reliability concerns are a big issue. Unfortunately, if you know who to talk to the B20VTEC can be cheaper, so it's very attractive to cheapskates like me.

However, the Type R is plug and chug. Plug it in, it works. No concerns about weak sleeves, valve clearance, piston squirters, block girdles, stroke:rod ratios or any of that crap.

Just my $0.02.

Shawn
Old 11-29-2002, 06:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: b20/vtec or type r (shawnhayes)

I'd go with the ITR motor/tranny purely based on the value.

Both motors are gonna be pretty quick in your car..but down the line, if you get sick of it, you can always sell the ITR motor at a pretty good price, where as the B20VTEC won't be as easy to get rid of. Most don't want to buy pre assembled motors, especially when they don't know who built it..
Old 11-29-2002, 08:03 PM

Default Re: b20/vtec or type r (fowler)

yeah i was leaning twards the type r too but the b20vtec is a lot cheeper... so i guess ill just wait till i have the money for the type r..... thanks

ps. anyone wanna buy my h22 change over
Old 11-29-2002, 08:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why not just stick with your H22. ???? I know I would.
Old 11-30-2002, 04:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b20/vtec or type r (CRX_VTEC)

Damn my twin hatch is no more?!?! sux... i'd go with the b20/vtec. When done right it can be very dependable, its cheaper, and it puts out mass power.
-Bryan-
Old 11-30-2002, 06:52 PM

Default Re: b20/vtec or type r (EGStreetHtch)

cuz im finding that stock type r's in eg's are just as fast as the h22 if not a bit fasrter... plus h22 shift linkage sux ***... b series is just better
Old 11-30-2002, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'd say type R, unless you really know how to build a B20/VTEC setup. Both are awesome motors though.
Old 11-30-2002, 07:33 PM

i just crashed my h22 eg..... i wanna sell the motor and start over with either b20/vtec or jdm b18c..... buck for buck wich one is better?
if you ask me i would say the JDM R because B20/VTEC is not realy a real VTEC motor. if i was u ill just get a block and headers. and just buy a Type R head.
Old 11-30-2002, 08:26 PM
Don't Trust Anyone

Default Re: b20/vtec or type r (Honda b series KIdd)

Hard choice man.
Old 11-30-2002, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b20/vtec or type r (SpoonSportsEH2)

I guess i'm the odd wheel .

but i think the B20VTEC is better than the Type-r motor . I have built one B20VTEC for my friend who has a EK4 civic . And he has beat a few type-r tegs who has similar mods ( his mods are AEM intake, fuel rail, regulator, filter and chipped ECU, stock bottom end internals , milled head taking CR to 10.2 ) and his car pulls like a freight train .

But what these guys say is very true . If it is built incorrectly it WILL break and it is not reliable at all.

It is cheaper and when built properly there is no disputing that it will beat a type-r with similar mods or a bit more ( with in reason) . My friends car also pulls that hard due to the timing and fuel ( which i will not disclose) .

So if you have enought money to buy a typer motor but can't buy anything else after that i suggest you get a B20VTEC and have it built correct and use the extra money to buy cams , pistons , valvetrain , header, etc.

always remember that a engine is only reliable once it is cared correctly , meaning :- if you buy a type-r motor and drive it like a bat outta hell and don't do maintanence to it , it will break just as fast and any other motor .
Old 11-30-2002, 10:30 PM

Default Re: b20/vtec or type r (eg6madness)

ITR all the way. The reliabilty sucks ***** on the B20/VTEC. It's more of a LIABILTY than reliabilty. With a B20/VTEC you have to be constantly keeping a eye out on the oil pressure (oil pump goes out faster). You got to monitor how high you rev (rod ratio sucks). And miss shifts are deadly to these motors. It can cost more to maintain and fix these motors in the long run.

ITR is fun for everything from 12 sec all motor drag, road racing, and just everyday street driving.
Old 12-01-2002, 02:06 AM

Default Re: b20/vtec or type r (Honda b series KIdd)

if you ask me i would say the JDM R because B20/VTEC is not realy a real VTEC motor.
nice reasoning moron

anyways...
honestly, i think it all jsut comes down to what you want out of it. are you track racing, drag racing, looking for reliability, looking for sick power, blah blah blah
first set your goals, then you can figure out what it takes to get you there.
Old 12-01-2002, 02:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you ever resale your motor, JDM-R motor is what you wanna be selling.
Old 12-01-2002, 03:33 AM

Default Re: b20/vtec or type r (97hb)

i dunno why people keep saying b20vtec isn't reliable ? maybe alot of people went cheap on this kind of motor. Man b20bastard with stock bottomend and a beff up head puts down 198whp. I seem type r with damn jun 3 or toda b cams with tune ecu cant even putout those numbers. And by far a type r will never match up to the troque the b20 make from 3krpm all the way to redline. I say build the b20vtec properly and maintane it and you have a safe damn reliable motor and stop saying this motor isn't reliable. geez people
Old 12-01-2002, 05:06 AM

Default Re: b20/vtec or type r (eg6madness)

But what these guys say is very true . If it is built incorrectly it WILL break and it is not reliable at all.

Wouldnt ANY motor not built properly will be un-reliable. !?!

If you bought a b18c5 block head and all and built it incorrectly(whatever the hell that means) it will BREAK not be reliable at all. B20Vtec and LSvtec have bad reps because people take the stock block, put stage 3 cams in a fully done up head and rev it up to 8500 Rpms all day.

find a bare b20 block, eagle rods some SRP's (or the piston of your choice) get all your caps, seals, bearings bolts, put it together and rev away.

I have 2 friends with b20 vtecs, both using a pr3's. One guy with with skunk 2 cams, skunk 2 manifold and some other junk has had it for almost 68,000 miles now; thats 2 trips down to LA (bout a 6 hour drive) and he drives like an *******, freeway races all the time. motor still runs like it did the first day we fired it up (constant valve adjustments tho )
Old 12-01-2002, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b20/vtec or type r (EneMy X)

too many people dont build the ls/vtec to proper specs and dont take precautions. They dont use new parts rather just recycle the old ones. Once finished they take out their new "toy" and test it out by racing everything in sight.
How many of you dog out your motors right off the showroom floor? Ever heard of 'break in period"? Then again.. those that break down most likely dont even have new parts in them at all.. Now you wonder why they arent reliable? Dont blame the engine.. balme the owners and builders... because AN ENGINE IS ONLY AS RELIABLE AS THE ONE WHO BUILDS IT AND DRIVES IT!...
Old 12-01-2002, 06:58 AM

Default Re: b20/vtec or type r (CRX_VTEC)

too many people dont build the ls/vtec to proper specs and dont take precautions. They dont use new parts rather just recycle the old ones. Once finished they take out their new "toy" and test it out by racing everything in sight.
How many of you dog out your motors right off the showroom floor? Ever heard of 'break in period"?
This is why a used Type-R is a better thought for most of us on this board. The R will already come broken in, and with no "build questions".

Nobody doubts that a CRVTEC can be made to make great power and reliable. However, the only way most of us can make it cheaper than a used R engine is to build it yourself. Finding and paying a good shop (with a trusted engine builder) with brand new pistons and rods can end up being more expensive than the used R engine itself. Add to that the cost of a limited slip differential, and we end up being nearly equal. Also, have you ever tried to sell a built motor?

Not easy. Basically, the buyer has to know and trust you. That might not be an easy task.

There's lots of reasons a Type-R can be a better choice than a CRVTEC. Power and "hook up expense" are not on the list.

Shawn
Old 12-01-2002, 10:13 AM

Default Re: b20/vtec or type r (shawnhayes)

Don't get me wrong, the B20/VTEC is a killer motor (I should know, I own one). All my friends running these motors are making awesome whp/toruque figures. YES it makes great power. YES it is cheaper to build than an ITR swap. YES it CAN be reliable, but there are many factors that you'll have to take into precaution. I've found that a mild set-up (CTR pistons, cams with valvetrain) will be as reliable as the ITR. But once you start fully building a motor with a crazy compression ratio matched up with some big cams (like my motor), then your reliabilty is on the line.

Mabye I'm being biased when I say that B20/VTEC's are not reliable. I personally have to worry about blowing my motor everytime I go out to race it. I just know that if you had each motor in two different cars and beat the **** out of them (that's the whole fun of it) I'm pretty at some point in time the B20/VTEC is going to be the first one that takes a ****.

Again, if you're looking for a care free motor, and you're not expecting wicked ETs at the track, then get the ITR. Even better, save some money and get a GSR put some CTR pistons and some JUN 3's with valve springs and you can run 12's all day. There's only so far that this set-up can take you. That's where the extra power from the B20/VTEC comes to play.

Just my $.02, again

Old 12-01-2002, 10:17 AM
jus f0 dekarayshunZ

Default Re: b20/vtec or type r (ALL MOTA)

type r ...more reliability imo
Old 12-01-2002, 10:25 AM

Default Re: b20/vtec or type r (SiBirdie)

Man b20bastard with stock bottomend and a beff up head puts down 198whp
it was 192, hehe
yea the crvtec can rock when its done right, but these guys bring up a good point with resale value and relaibility without having to worry about a race motor.