Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

b20 civic problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 09:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 civic b20 problems

well i just purchased my first civic and it has a b20 with a ls tranny. the car runs decent but it smokes like crazt at WOT! also some times when i get on the car it studders almost like a fuel cut! then it picks back up and runs fine! now the previous owner said the piston ring on (he thinks) #4 is going but wouldnt it smoke at idle it that was the case? i was thinking that maybe the head gasket was starting to go! for now the car sits so im not worried about a dd but im trying to get everything fixed in order to turbo it! any help would be greatly appreciated!

also im in need of some civic parts! so anyone that has some pm me!
Old 11-09-2006, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 93 civic b20 problems (DAHOTTESTLUDE)

i would take it to the shop and have them check the piston rings, sounds to me like one is fried. this happened on my b20 vtec. also have them check the sleeves, my b20 was messed up and like an idiot i kept running it hard and i cracked three sleeves. so dont drive it too hard until you get it fixed.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You probably should just re-ring it, then that also solves the headgasket issue since you need a new one with the ring job anyways.

Do you consistenly run low on oil? Check the level regularly to see if that is in fact the source of the smoke and not something else like you running real rich. Determine the color of the smoke, it will tell you what is getting burnt.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:01 AM

Default Re: (klungemonger)

Check the compression, or valve seals.Also state what color is the smoke.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JDMbiAtcH)

compression check it yourself. see how that goes
Old 11-10-2006, 01:17 AM

well i dont drive the car i bought it as a project! i had a spare h22 but i sold it when i sold my second prelude! but i will do all the work to it, i was just seeing what everyone thought! i will probably just do the headgasket and rings! i will def. check the compression! but im thinkin very seriously about buying another h22 or maybe even downgrading to a h23 and using my preludes turbo kit!

and for the smoke all i can tell is that its black like im running real rich! but when i first crank it, it smokes a little and after it warms up it stops! but as soon as i take it down the road its smokes like crazy!

thanks for everyones input! im working alot so when i get time ill start the project!

and of course there always has to be one smart *** on every forum!
Old 11-10-2006, 02:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DAHOTTESTLUDE)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DAHOTTESTLUDE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well i dont drive the car i bought it as a project! i had a spare h22 but i sold it when i sold my second prelude! but i will do all the work to it, i was just seeing what everyone thought! i will probably just do the headgasket and rings! i will def. check the compression! but im thinkin very seriously about buying another h22 or maybe even downgrading to a h23 and using my preludes turbo kit!

and for the smoke all i can tell is that its black like im running real rich! but when i first crank it, it smokes a little and after it warms up it stops! but as soon as i take it down the road its smokes like crazy!

thanks for everyones input! im working alot so when i get time ill start the project!

and of course there always has to be one smart *** on every forum!</TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds like that motor is BLOWN. compressoin check to make sure

projects are fun cause the finished product rules
Old 11-10-2006, 10:59 AM

i know the motors not blown! but im going to re ring it and replace the headgasket!

the car is still running strong but im use to a h22 prelude and a h23 prelude so it seems real slow to me!
Old 11-10-2006, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok and? cause black smoke "like crazy" isnt good. maybe it is just a headgasket...so why are you driving down the road if you think its the headgasket?

so anything with a blown headgasket is going to be slow. duh

i dont even care about a lude anyway. i only like the h22, which is in my civic hatchback
Old 11-10-2006, 02:53 PM

lol my lude will eat your hatchback up! im trying to get on a level playing field with yall thats why i bought this civic! im tired of the "man its a prelude" as a excuse! and i had to drive it home from the guy i bought it! thats the reason im driving down the road!
Old 11-11-2006, 10:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DAHOTTESTLUDE &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol my lude will eat your hatchback up! im trying to get on a level playing field with yall thats why i bought this civic! im tired of the "man its a prelude" as a excuse! and i had to drive it home from the guy i bought it! thats the reason im driving down the road!</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol @ teh lude

but if you would explain more in your first post, it'd make it easier to help you out

Old 11-11-2006, 05:04 PM

well thanks for the suggestions! and anytime u want to hit the drag strip it will be a good run, h22 hatch vs a slow h22 lude!