Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B18B Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 08:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B18B Help

Whats goin on guys. Well I decided to go with this motor because it was relatively cheap ($400, extra 100 for the tranny) from a friend of mine that has 73xxx on it. So I have some simple questions for you guys to answer to help me get goin on this project.

Im putting it in a 93 del sol. 5sp. Comes with everything. Motor is fine because it was tested for everything before my friend bought it. Just never got around to buying another car to put it.

Money isnt a big deal for me right now. I have plenty to spend, which is why Im finally working on this car. So my questions are.

1. What kind of head would you put on the car. I plan on turbocharging the car and gettin above 400hp out of it. I have had people tell me not to put the v-tec in it because its unreliable. But I want suggestions and ideas.

2. Good company to go with for internals. I know there is JE, Wiseco, and all that but I just want to check out some more company's.

3. Good turbo to go with and start out with. We have alot of shops around where I live, that make custom turbo kits for the acura motor. But I want more ideas plus I dont really trust them enough to let them work on my car.

Thats it for now guys. Any other ideas, please let me know. Always open to suggestions.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18B Help (Greedy Twinkie)

I would say keep the head you have and send it to a machine shop for a valve job,valves, springs, retainers, new seals and a mild port/polish.

As far as rod/pistons you can go with a company like Eagle for rods, Crower, Pauter(check spelling). I have a B18B1 and am shooting for 350whp, I have been looking at Eagle rods with CP pistons. Planning on polishing/balancing the crank and having the block worked on as well.

As far as turbo's I have also been looking around/reading and I think a T3/T4 50-60 trim might be a good turbo. Check out the FI forum... there is a lot of good info in the FAQ section about turbo builds and things of that nature. In fact I believe one of the write ups is based off a B18b1 platform

Check out http://www.laskeyracing.com also... good shop. There are also other shops like Golden Eagle and RS Machines.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18B Help (Greedy Twinkie)

1) whoever told you that a vtec head is unreliable is an idiot. If everything is properly installed and everything is worked up, you should be fine.

2) i have a question. Do you trust yourself, or have the proper tools to work with internals? Many people build up their motors piece by piece, or you could send it to someplace fo rthe whole treatment. http://www.jgenginedynamics.com I hate to say i've never used them yet, but i plan to eventually.

3) Read around the Forced Induction section of this site. It's great, and you'll learn a lot dealing w/ how to appropriately select parts/turbo. https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1024174 There's another link i can't find now, i'll post it up later when i find it.

Also, make sure you get a good tune, it's one of the most important parts of the build process.
Old 07-20-2007, 08:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18B Help (Boost_V)

lol, 95projectEj1, i was just going to tell him about your goals. Beat me to it
Old 07-20-2007, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boost_V &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol, 95projectEj1, i was just going to tell him about your goals. Beat me to it </TD></TR></TABLE>

^^ Hehe... lets just hope the cash comes in fast fast fast so that im not 30 by the time I have boost.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18B Help (95ProjectEJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95ProjectEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I would say keep the head you have and send it to a machine shop for a valve job,valves, springs, retainers, new seals and a mild port/polish.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

I would take the money you would use for the B18b headwork and buy a B16 head. The B16 head will outperform the B18b w/ mild headwork hands down. Just keep in mind the extra you have to do to go LS/Vtec. And then some people just want to keep everything non-vtec, which in this case i would say use the money for headwork.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B18B Help (BDogggUT34)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95ProjectEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

^^ Hehe... lets just hope the cash comes in fast fast fast so that im not 30 by the time I have boost. </TD></TR></TABLE> LOL, don't talk negative.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BDogggUT34 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I would take the money you would use for the B18b headwork and buy a B16 head. The B16 head will outperform the B18b w/ mild headwork hands down. Just keep in mind the extra you have to do to go LS/Vtec. And then some people just want to keep everything non-vtec, which in this case i would say use the money for headwork. </TD></TR></TABLE>

if you decide to go ls/vtec, keep in mind there are some minor adjustments like you need to reroute an oil passage and open up the dowel pin holes. It requires drilling into your block, but isn't too expensive by a shop.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boost_V &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> LOL, don't talk negative.</TD></TR></TABLE>

^^ Ha ha... high hopes *crosses fingers*

LSvtec could be another alternative if done properly... for me I could never has an LSvtec, something about running oil lines and mismatching parts that just never sat well with me. Thats just me though, I have heard plenty of good things about a properly built LSvtec. All in all, the choice is yours OP. Just make it a smart one
Old 07-20-2007, 09:29 PM

i think that is the route i am goin to end up going. i've read up on alot about the b18b with a b16 head. so i think the first thing i will do is find a b16 head and buy all the goodies like the retainers and valves. as for the drilling, i'll be alright with that. alot of good friends who are trustworthy can help me out there.

just a quick estimate though, i know i've got some hook up. but what would the regular price be for say the drilling. along with a good company for retainers and valves. thanks guys, very big help.