Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

b18 build

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2007, 03:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b18 build

Hey guys I got a 99 civic ex and came along a b18b1 from a 98 integra and I want to build it up to around 230 250 hp and was wondering wat was the easiest ways to acomplish this without a turbo or supercharge ... I am willing to rip apart this entire block so lemme kno thanks
Old 07-17-2007, 03:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18 build (blade0313)

a 230-250 hp all motor build, good luck with that
Old 07-17-2007, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18 build (mikeycivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mikeycivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">a 230-250 hp all motor build, good luck with that</TD></TR></TABLE>

Seriously... you are going to dump way more money than you would have if you went turbo and have one hell of an uncomfortable daily driver. There is a huge difference from a 250hp n/a motor and a 250 hp turbo motor. Any reasons as to why you are against going boost(turbo mainly)?
Old 07-17-2007, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18 build (95ProjectEJ1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95ProjectEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Seriously... you are going to dump way more money than you would have if you went turbo and have one hell of an uncomfortable daily driver. There is a huge difference from a 250hp n/a motor and a 250 hp turbo motor. Any reasons as to why you are against going boost(turbo mainly)?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah, those numbers are astronomical for a dd, unless it's otherwise. Turbo can be cheasp and reliable. And with the cams you'd need in there, your idle sound horrible. You probably shouldn't even consider this build as na. Why spend that kind of money when you'd be fine boosting your motor and getting those numbers on stock internals.
Old 07-17-2007, 06:50 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: b18 build (Boost_V)

If you want to do that n/a, it will be expensive and you picked a shoddy platform.

Start with a b20 (overhauled), b18c5, or an h/f series.

You need displacement, or the engineering of the b18c5.
Old 07-17-2007, 07:51 AM

Default Re: b18 build (ek forever guy)

Ok so if I was 2 turbo this b18b1 with stock internals I'd b pushin 250hp? Or would I need 2 put some aftermarket parts in? And does ne1 kno a good reliable cheap turbo website?
Old 07-17-2007, 08:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

You can push 250whp on stock internals. As far as a good website for a cheap/reliable turbo setup your best bet is the marketplace.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:21 AM

Thanks for all the help guys .. Wat does every1 think about those turbos on ebay for like 1000 and any otha suggestions on where 2 find a god turbo kit.. And should I use a t3t4?
Old 07-17-2007, 08:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ebay turbos IMO are crap, I wouldnt trust them... but thats just me. I think a T3/T4 50 trim might be a good one, not too sure though. The best place to find turbo set ups is in the HT marketplace
Old 07-17-2007, 08:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blade0313 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks for all the help guys .. Wat does every1 think about those turbos on ebay for like 1000 and any otha suggestions on where 2 find a god turbo kit.. And should I use a t3t4?</TD></TR></TABLE>

you can buy my stuff https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=2039393
Old 07-17-2007, 09:03 AM
Ek Forever y0!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: b18 build (mikeycivic)

If you want to do a budget build, just slowly piece one together as you find good deals on parts. Find a used DSM or another OEM turbo. But, if you want to get 250whp out of it, I'd at least replace the valves and make sure their in spec, and get a GOOD tune from a reputable shop/tuner.
Old 07-17-2007, 09:08 AM

Well if I was 2 get a turbo do I get it according to the motor which is a b18b1 or for my 99 civic ex?
Old 07-17-2007, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blade0313 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well if I was 2 get a turbo do I get it according to the motor which is a b18b1 or for my 99 civic ex?</TD></TR></TABLE>

sounds like you should do a lot of research before you do anything
Old 07-17-2007, 09:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mikeycivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

sounds like you should do a lot of research before you do anything </TD></TR></TABLE>

I definitely agree. There's more than one T3/4 - the trim sizes are what matters. That's how big the actual turbo is - thats what's gonna tell you what you need to boost to to obtain your HP goals.

@ OP:
By the way you're talking it really doesn't sound like you know that much about what you're getting into. Read in the forced induction forum, learn about turbos, google ****. You need to learn about turbo setups or you're gonna blow up ur engine.

First off, you started with like, the shittiest B series platform to go all motor for your all motor project. So yes, turbo would be the most economical (and easiest to tune) way to get to your whp goals.

Secondly, the best places to get parts are your local classifieds, Honda-Tech Market place, etc. Ebay turbo setups are a waste, and name brand "already put together" setups are way overpriced (and usually don't come with an intercooler or piping) BUT, CAN BE NECESSARY if you live in Cali and you need a CARB approved turbo kit.

Thirdly, you can run 230-250whp on a stock LS (b18B1) block <u>with a good tune!</u> Without the tune you'll fry the motor.

Your best bet if you live out of cali is to throw your own kit together. Just get a list of the parts you need and start building it. Just note that things have to fit together 'n such, you can't use a D series turbo mani on your engine, etc. If done right you can usually put one together for 800-1500 bux. As for the turbo, any DSM is fine, most cars that come single turbo'ed (but it's not an economy turbo) are fine. Don't get a turbo off an Audi or a VW 1.8T as those S20's or S40's or whatever they're using now are economy turbos - and will suck ***** to make power with.

Best bet it to stay in and around the DSM area, mitsubishi/eagle/dodge - also saab/toyota/nissan.

Hope that helps a bit .

BTW: Next turbo question you have - should post it in the forced induction forum. 'Cause they're more attuned to turbo setups as this is just a general 92-00 tech forum.

Old 07-17-2007, 10:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

literally read almost every link provided in this one https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1024174

I read a very good, step by step thread on peicing together and installing a turbo kit. I saved it as a word document, don't know the link. I'll try to find it. But while i look for it, i'll give you some of it below

--&gt;COMPLETE How-To:: Turbocharge Your Honda // Rep-ing Hypnotik Speed « » 9:51 PM 5/31/2005
Reply Edit

Small update for those who are interested:
This exact setup made 238whp, 203wtq @ 10psi
my best quarter mile time is:
60'--&gt; 2.133
330--&gt; 5.824
1/8--&gt; 8.773
mph--&gt; 82.72
1000--&gt;11.313
1/4--&gt; 13.431
mph--&gt; 105.17
car: 1994 white ej1
15" slips w/ falken azenis
with gsr tranny
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to: Turbocharge a Honda
Objective:
--&gt; I'm going to go through, step by step, procedures of what you must to do completely turbocharge your Honda. This How-to would work for all Honda/acura setups, just switch my motor setup with yours.

Pre Installation Information:
Parts Needed:
--&gt; Turbocharger: Pick which size and trim turbo is gonna work best for your application and goals
--&gt; Exhaust Manifold: Either log/cast/equal length. Make sure it was made for your turbo (t3, 4bolt, 5bolt, dsm, etc.)
--&gt; Downpipe: Again must be custom for your turbo/manifold choice. A flex pipe and o2 bung are nice to have while creating a downpipe
--&gt; Wastegate: Choose a wastegate size (also what psi spring you'd like to run) according to application such as amount of air flow and psi from turbo
--&gt; Intercooler: Choose either a FMIC (Front Mount InterCooler) or Side Mount Intercooler. Fmic is more bling bling :D as well as better cooling
--&gt; Blow off valve: This is acutally an opional (but very recommended part). Doesnt really matter which one you choose. Pick a sound you like
--&gt; Fuel Manegment: One of the most important parts on your turbocharged car. I would highly suggest running a programable chiped ecu or standalone device, but running a AFC hack controller can be used as well
--&gt; Fuel Pump : You will probably need an upgraded fuel pump to support the added fuel consumption. Can be either internal or external
--&gt; Injectors : To support added air induction, more fuel is need... hence bigger injectors. Buy size according to application
--&gt; Map Sensor: Stock maps can only read up to ~10.63 psi, if you plan to go higher upgrade to a 2bar or 3bar map sensor
--&gt; Intercooler Piping: You can buy a ic piping kit, but usally will always take some modification to fit your exact application
--&gt; Couplers/t-bolts: You will need silicone couplers to bind the two ic pipes together as well as t-bolts (or screw clamps which i dont recommend) to tighten those couplers down
--&gt; Oil drain/feed lines: Every turbo needs oil, so you must buy an oil feed and drain line kit. ss lines are recommend
--&gt; Vacuum Manifold: Not required but recommened to help organize vacuum lines and allow for good vacuum sources
--&gt; Gauges: although not required, it's highly recommend so you can keep some status of motor operation. boost/oil pressure highly recommened
--&gt; Spark plugs: Although not required, turbo temps can get high, so i recommend you step down two steps colder in your spark plugs. Also copper too
--&gt; Reference picture:

Tools Needed:
--&gt; Extensive Socket/Rachet Set: Metric sizes. the more variety, the less likely you wont have the socekt you need for the job
--&gt; Extensive wrech set: Metric sizes. Racheting wrenchs are gonna work great for tight places
--&gt; Floor jack w/ jack stands: you gotta get that car up for some things
--&gt; Screw driver set: again, the more variety, the better
--&gt; Dremel: You may need to cut or sand some things down, so a dremel will be perfect for the job
--&gt; Wire strippers: Your gonna do some spliceing and wire cutting somewhere
--&gt; Multi-meter: Not required, but it's handy to have around to troubleshoot and test wires
--&gt; PbBlaster: This is a rust-breaking spray in a can, extremely useful for getting old rusted bolts off

Estimated Time and Skill level:
--&gt; I Would give your self a week or more to finsih this install properly depend on how much free time you have. It will always be better to start early and have more time for cushion if unplaned things come up then to have jsut enough time planed and if something bad comes up your screwed (happened to me)
--&gt; Skill level: I'd say a full turbo install would have to be from a 7-9 difficutly in the import world depending on your skill level. Building a motor being a 10.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Saved that information to my MS Word... very nice article/thread post.

Its nice to see an EJ1 hitting low 13's at 238whp(10psi)... especially when Im trying to hit 300whp with my build

Thanks for the info Boost
Old 07-17-2007, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 95ProjectEJ1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Saved that information to my MS Word... very nice article/thread post.

Its nice to see an EJ1 hitting low 13's at 238whp(10psi)... especially when Im trying to hit 300whp with my build

Thanks for the info Boost </TD></TR></TABLE>

No problem buddy. The full thread is 101 pages long in word!! But every single picture and peice of info is worth it, trust me. I'll either post it up(the link) if i find it in this thread and/or pm it to you.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek forever guy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you want to do that n/a, it will be expensive and you picked a shoddy platform.

Start with a b20 (overhauled), b18c5, or an h/f series.

You need displacement, or the engineering of the b18c5.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i have a b18B whats wrong with that. i spent 5k for my whole build and im making 233 hp. and i can tell you i can whoop on any 240 hp turbo car any day.

it all depends on you bro if you have the money do what you want. i always loved all motor cause the instant power and you get to slam gears. with a turbo car you slam gears and miss, boom there goes your engine
Old 07-17-2007, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18 build (fmrprojects)

lol i just found the thread. Here https://honda-tech.com/zero...age=1

Old 07-17-2007, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sweet... that would be awesome. I want to do as much research on what turbo set up I need to run for the whp goals im trying to achieve without having to ask a million questions. I just want to see the look on my gf's face when the turbo spools up and sends her into the seat lol. Thanks again