b18 auto into civic auto

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 05:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b18 auto into civic auto

1996 DX civic auto Y7 car.

bad D setup, so we want a swap.

found a 1996 integra LS automatic for dirt cheap.

we have everything from both cars.

hows this swap achieved? looking to use oem parts only.

the integra iof course shares chassis with 92-95 civics, but the EJ needs something to bolt tot he frame.

any help into this? I know 100% what to do if the civic was a 5th gen, but 6th gens are quite a bit different to me.

Please, no theories.

Who has done this?

NOT GOING B WITHOUT ANH AUTOMATIC

if this integra swap doesnt work cheaply, we are finding a d16y7 to throw back in.

thanks in advance guys, much appreciated

-Matt
Old 06-01-2010, 05:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b18 auto into civic auto

ALSO I dont wanna go any other B motor.

its either make do with this integra automatic setup, or we buy the D motor we found.

car is gonna be daily, NO TRACK, NO PERFORMANCE pelase.

b18 auto simply sounds sweet! lol
Old 06-01-2010, 05:23 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Its not going to happen. You have to fabricate a rear T-bracket and upper transmission mount, and cut and notch the passenger's side frame rail to clear the transmission. And theres a ton of wiring involved to hook up the integra TCM. It would be infinitely easier to swap to a 5 speed. If it has to stay automatic swap in another Y7.
Old 06-01-2010, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

UR NOT GOING TO FIND A DIY FOR B18 AUTO SWAP IN A EK BECAUSE SIMPLY UR THE ONLY PERSON WHO PROBABLY GOING TO ATTEMPT TO DO IT... JUST FIND ANOTHER D SERIES MOTOR
Old 06-01-2010, 09:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not claiming to know, but...
If your trans upper mount bracket on the D16Y7 trans won't bolt onto the B18 trans then yeah you're stuck. However, it does appear that it will.
The rear "T" bracket shouldn't be an issue. If a factory 5spd T bracket bolts into a Civic without modification (which it does) and the auto & manual in the Integra use the same sub-frame & rear mount, then why in the world wouldn't the B18 auto T bracket bolt into a Civic just the same as the 5spd? Just my two cents on that one.
As for the TCM issue, would it not be possible to just use the 96 Civic P2E ECU to run both the engine & transmission?
I couldn't tell you for sure if the frame rail would need notched or not, but back to B 5spd's fit in the Civic easy & they share the engine bay of an Integra with autos without modification, so I don't see why that would be necessary.
I'm not saying it CAN be done, but I don't see why it can't be done. If you do decide to do this let me know how it goes. I was thinking of doing it in my 98 4dr LX, but haven't bothered looking too far into it yet.
Old 06-01-2010, 11:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

-the integra is super clean up front, nothing missing, and was running perfect when we looked at it.

yeah, I checked, the rear bracket is just like the sohc motors, slightly different based on auto or manual, in which case you simply swap with the integra one lol.

I found we can swip a 2 bolt timing belt mount from a crv or 99-00 civic si (with b16)

only thing is, we want this running fast, so ill look into the b16 tranny mount as well, BUT they obviously were not offered in auto.

does anyone live near a JDM motor source? any help in a jdm b series auto mount?

damnit this honda is irritating. I wish it was 4th or 5th gen for ease of swapping. ebay mount and done ha ha
Old 06-02-2010, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

BUMP

integra wont last forever with this price.

NOT INTERESTED IN GOING MANUAL

thanks guys!
Old 06-02-2010, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

They gave you the answers already. Just swap in another Y7 or get a Y8 auto.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know its been done before.

I know because I watched a running video of it on youtube a few years ago.

they gave me wrong answers. I dont need to fabricate the rear bracket and mount, AND I dont need to fabricate the timing belt mount

that tells me they dont know and are giving either guesses, or they were incorrectly informed.

I know the person who did this is here on honda-tech, but I cant find any evidence after long hours of searching.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:03 PM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by honda_luvr_2000
The rear "T" bracket shouldn't be an issue. If a factory 5spd T bracket bolts into a Civic without modification (which it does) and the auto & manual in the Integra use the same sub-frame & rear mount, then why in the world wouldn't the B18 auto T bracket bolt into a Civic just the same as the 5spd?
You can't use an Integra rear T-bracket on a '96 - '00 Civic, even for a 5 speed (works fine for '92 - '95 civics) You must use a '99 - '00 Si bracket, which were not offered as an automatic, you could also use a JDM automatic T-bracket if you could find one.

As for the TCM issue, would it not be possible to just use the 96 Civic P2E ECU to run both the engine & transmission?
No.

I couldn't tell you for sure if the frame rail would need notched or not, but back to B 5spd's fit in the Civic easy & they share the engine bay of an Integra with autos without modification, so I don't see why that would be necessary.
Integras are setup more like 5th gen civics, also B-series manual transmissions are significantly smaller than B-series automatics.
Old 06-02-2010, 01:08 PM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by mattliston

Yes its been done before, but its nowhere near the plug and play swap that an LS 5 speed is.

they gave me wrong answers. I dont need to fabricate the rear bracket and mount, AND I dont need to fabricate the timing belt mount
I don't see where anyone said you had to fabricate the timing belt mount, and in any case that just isn't true. The other part is true, or at least partially true, you have to fabricate a rear T-bracket and upper mount, or find a JDM automatic version.

In any case actually getting the engine and tranny in the car is the easy part of the swap, its the wiring that makes it hard.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

that tells me they dont know and are giving either guesses, or they were incorrectly informed.

I know the person who did this is here on honda-tech, but I cant find any evidence after long hours of searching.
It's been done before yes. But you said you need the car to be running soon. That swap is gonna be a hell hole of wires and patients.
Old 06-02-2010, 04:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its been done as others have said, and I have personally seen it. An old friend of mine put an LS auto in his Wifes EJ1. I don't remember what all he said was involved but it was a lot of ****. Why are you so biased towards having an Auto? Just asking.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cant drive clutch. he has a hurt ankle from military service, wont ever get full muscle control.

so Im doing him a favor, giving him some guts with a b18 hopefully

WIRING WONT BE AN ISSUE GUYS

I have the whole integra to source **** from.

thanks for the comments, lets get this discussion rolling further. My buddy deserves a little extra gusto on his ride, and since he cant afford another car, please stay positive!

thanks guys
Old 06-03-2010, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BUMP need this cleared up. cheapest running d16y7 auto setup we found is 400 local. screw that, the integra is WAY cheaper.

come on guys, this has successfully been done. Help a fellow HT member out please
Old 06-03-2010, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i bought my ls for 250, motor only,
thought it was a good cheap idea,
he swore up n down it ran, turns out to be in horrible shape,
sounds like the way to go is d series
94eg8 seems to have cleered it up a while ago,
if he needs more umph, just turbo the d...they ae cheap enough, hell i bet an ebay kit would be good enough for an auto d series lookin for fifteen hp
Old 06-03-2010, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

We had the LS running. actually pulled decent even with the rear tires pointing at each other

before getting it running, itwasnt starting because the crank pulley was off and the key fell out. so 10-20 minutes of trying to start while checking things, the crank spun with the cam not spinning. should have been PTV contact, none. LS motors are awesome

BUMP, will a JDM automatic mount work for the tranny/fender side? reading that jdm chassis had slight differences that might not be favorable???
Old 06-04-2010, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and another thing, theres a reason why no one likes auto trannys, its cause they suck..
so if your looking for more umph, it would be lost in the tranny and youd still probly lose to a single cam with an si trans....
im just sayin tho..
get the d turbo it keep the d an auto

end thread
Old 06-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you cant read

he wants a factory powertrain. so a stock B series will be faster.

the B auto has better ratios, I found this out today.

Plus when we tested the integra, EVEN WITH THE REAR TIRES POINTING AT EACH OTHER, basically a permanent e brake, it pulled harder then teh D auto setup did before it bit teh dust

and WTF turbo? come on dude, its an auto setup, this isnt for performance. this is a repalcement for power. the integra running is cheaper by a few hundred over the cheapest D setup we found.

Im in the process of trying to figure out if a JDM auto B18 tranny mount wikll work. looks too big form pictures
Old 06-04-2010, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Did they make any 6th gen Civics in Japan that were powered by an auto b series? OOr in any country for that matter?
Old 06-04-2010, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, tehy made nearly all JDM models with an auto option, and there might be a few euro models.

Im looking tinto them, but from what Im reading, the JDM chassis's had stronger arms that were a touch skinnier then american models, and hence the mounts are slightly off.

this could be incorrect information.

Ive called 2 places in california that do JDM stuff, and they were giving me a ton of attitude about how manuals were so much better, and here they were selling JDM b18 automatics (no mounts of course, how convenient lol)

CALIFORNIA RESIDENT HONDA/ACURA GUYS:: could you do me a favor, if you live nearby a JDM retailer or some sort, could you help me inquire foir this?

We are at the pouint of buying CRV timing bracket and rear L bracket, then making our own tranny bracket, but our welder is one of the cheapest POS 220volt gun-wire-feed styles. We have had trouble in the past getting it hot enough tp penetrate.

This is teh main reason behind trying to find honda mounts for swapping.

If we pull this off with factory parts, I know a few friends of mine (female mostly) who would enjoy this setup.

once again, thanks for those of you posting positive and helpful input. Its appreciated, and every response addes a bit to this mystery!
Old 06-04-2010, 02:39 PM
Trial User

I'm actually trying to figure this out myself. I have a 98 EX auto that i'd like to swap to an LS auto. I'm disabled and can't drive manuals because of the clutch. Some info i found regarding the auto B Series into an EK is here: https://honda-tech.com/forums/hybrid-engine-swaps-18/b-series-auto-96-00-a-2620121/ The posts by talkJDM in that thread gave me a little more hope that it can be done.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah. I found an automatic CRV mount and bracket for tranny on ebay, I emailed him for measurements

Will post them if I receive them.

Glad someone else is interested in this swap. Maybe we should pool ideas if one of us gets it working
Old 06-04-2010, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, tehy made nearly all JDM models with an auto option, and there might be a few euro models.

Im looking tinto them, but from what Im reading, the JDM chassis's had stronger arms that were a touch skinnier then american models, and hence the mounts are slightly off.

this could be incorrect information.

Ive called 2 places in california that do JDM stuff, and they were giving me a ton of attitude about how manuals were so much better, and here they were selling JDM b18 automatics (no mounts of course, how convenient lol)

CALIFORNIA RESIDENT HONDA/ACURA GUYS:: could you do me a favor, if you live nearby a JDM retailer or some sort, could you help me inquire foir this?

We are at the pouint of buying CRV timing bracket and rear L bracket, then making our own tranny bracket, but our welder is one of the cheapest POS 220volt gun-wire-feed styles. We have had trouble in the past getting it hot enough tp penetrate.

This is teh main reason behind trying to find honda mounts for swapping.

If we pull this off with factory parts, I know a few friends of mine (female mostly) who would enjoy this setup.

once again, thanks for those of you posting positive and helpful input. Its appreciated, and every response addes a bit to this mystery!
Old 06-04-2010, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hoffmanb16

If you have nothing more to add to HELP, please exit this thread.

this thread is to gain information, not to find out how many people ahte automatics

Quick Reply: b18 auto into civic auto