Notices
Hybrid / Engine Swaps Discussions about non-stock engine swaps into Honda cars. This is not a forum for hybrid gas/electric cars.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B series with auto in 96-00??

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 08:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default B series with auto in 96-00??

OK, I need to know from someone that has done it what needs to be done. I just had a friend in KC tell me that his buddy put an Integra LS auto swap in his 98 Civic and used all OEM mounts. He told me what was done but I want to verify that some others have done this and it was as easy as he said. I do not care about the wiring as wiring is a breeze. I care about the actual installation. What brackets and mounts did you use?
Old 08-03-2009, 02:38 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: B series with auto in 96-00??

Weird. I remember this coming up before. I distinctly remember B18C5-EH2 saying his shop attempted this swap a few years ago and they tried every mount and bracket combination they could find and nothing worked, they ended up making custom mounts.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I guess I'll update once I get something mocked up. He is emailing me the OEM part numbers for every single piece. When you look at the numbers, it does make complete sense; I just want to see it for myself before I say anything.

I do know that every time that I've asked anything about an auto everyone says go 5 speed. Well, having 4 5 speed cars and one 6 speed car is more than enough. The wife likes to drive an auto every once in a while and I'd rather she was not driving our 14 mpg Avalanche.... So, no, I'm not going to go 5 speed...
Old 08-07-2009, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its just like a civic... on a auto civic the bracket welded to the chassis sits higher than on the 5 speed civics.

they make auto to manual conversion mounts but i have never seen a 5speed to auto conversion mount lol... so make your own. its real easy.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:16 PM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by mike93eh2
its just like a civic... on a auto civic the bracket welded to the chassis sits higher than on the 5 speed civics.

they make auto to manual conversion mounts but i have never seen a 5speed to auto conversion mount lol... so make your own. its real easy.
You missed the entire point. The Civic is already an automatic, OP wants to swap in an automatic B-series. The problem is its nowhere near as easy as swapping a 5 speed B-series into a 5 speed civic, or even swapping a 5 speed B-series into an automatic civic. Any time i've heard of anyone doing it cutting and notching the passenger's side frame rail was required as was fabbing up custom brackets.

Just as an FYI you couldn't make an 5 speed to auto conversion mount the way the reverse is done. The 5 speed pocket mount welded to frame wont clear the top of the automatic tranny (hence why the automatic version is angled up) The only way to do it is to cut and weld the automatic bracket on. As a further FYI '96 - '00 civics don't have welded mounts so none of this discusion on brackets really matters.

Last edited by 94EG8; 08-07-2009 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
You missed the entire point. The Civic is already an automatic, OP wants to swap in an automatic B-series. The problem is its nowhere near as easy as swapping a 5 speed B-series into a 5 speed civic, or even swapping a 5 speed B-series into an automatic civic. Any time i've heard of anyone doing it cutting and notching the passenger's side frame rail was required as was fabbing up custom brackets.

Just as an FYI you couldn't make an 5 speed to auto conversion mount the way the reverse is done. The 5 speed pocket mount welded to frame wont clear the top of the automatic tranny (hence why the automatic version is angled up) The only to do it is to cut and weld the automatic bracket on. As a further FYI '96 - '00 civics don't have welded mounts so none of this discusion on brackets really matters.
forgot this was about silly 96-00's..

like i said it wouldnt be hard at all to make a mount.
Old 08-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mike:

One of Carl's friends just did an LS auto swap in his Civic EX auto car. He told me he used a combination of OEM mounts. I just have to get a Civic with a set of straight front rails so I can verify what he told me. Yes, worst case, I'll have to build the passenger top trans mount but that's it.
Old 08-08-2009, 01:06 PM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by RyanA
Mike:

One of Carl's friends just did an LS auto swap in his Civic EX auto car. He told me he used a combination of OEM mounts. I just have to get a Civic with a set of straight front rails so I can verify what he told me. Yes, worst case, I'll have to build the passenger top trans mount but that's it.
What exactly are you planning on using for a rear T-bracket is my big question? Theres no OEM north american bracket I can think of that would work unless you can reuse the original D-series bracket. And then theres still that frame clearance issue.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't want to say anything until I verify. I am supposed to talk to Carl again on Monday and I'll get some more info. I'm pretty sure there is a direct fit one but, worst case, I don't know why you could not just re drill an Integra T bracket. The only difference when you compare a 94-01 Integra 5 speed backed to a 99-00 Civic Si T bracket is the hole location for the bolt that goes to the rear mount. On the 99-00, the hole is about 1" closer to the engine/trans than the Integra one. If the one I was told will work, does not, I can probably just redrill the Integra rearT bracket from an auto car. I have to drive about 70 miles to go get an auto Civic EX shell that I let a friend have. Once I have it, I can do some measuring and fitting. Also, I'll have a GSR automatic trans in about a week. I"m trading him a GSR 5 speed ECU for his auto trans, all associated mounts (on his, the passenger side upper mount was fabricated) which would be torque mount, T bracket, and upper trans mount, shift linkage, shifter, and the GSR auto ECU. I'm going to see what was done on the T bracket on his car but then I'm also going to try the combo that was explained to me.

I'll post names when I verify it bolts in. I'll be doing this on a naked block and an auto trans case so the pictures will be clear. That way, people can see if it does or does not work. Pretty sure, when I"m done, the engine/trans will bolt right in with all stock and no modified mounts. I was told to just re use the Civic shifter cable as the Integra one was a little too long on the 96-00.

Ryan
Old 08-10-2009, 02:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The main road blocks in terms of engine mounts that you'll encounter are
1) EK B-series VTEC auto tranny rear T mount
2) EK B-series VTEC side tranny mount

Neither of these mounts are available in North America (US and Canada) so you cannot get them through your local honda dealer ship. Both these mounts are different than the EG/DC auto tranny mounts, so they are not interchangeable with the EK/EJ chassis.

If you want to get these mounts, you'll have to find a source in Asian to get them or check your local JDM engine importer to see if they can get you the mounts from one of their imported motors. For an EK/EJ chassis you'll have to source the B16A auto mounts, even if you plan to swap in a B18C auto.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, I understand they are different. However, it appears that there is probably a very readily available T bracket AND upper trans mount here in the US. Worst case, I'll end up sourcing the mounts from a japanese engine supplier. Best case, we'll actually have the parts available here in the US. When you think about it, the source is pretty obvious. It's easier than you think if it's true. As I said, I just don't want to say anything until I have seen it with my own eyes.

Ryan
Old 08-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes, I understand they are different. However, it appears that there is probably a very readily available T bracket AND upper trans mount here in the US. Worst case, I'll end up sourcing the mounts from a japanese engine supplier. Best case, we'll actually have the parts available here in the US. When you think about it, the source is pretty obvious. It's easier than you think if it's true. As I said, I just don't want to say anything until I have seen it with my own eyes.

Ryan
The EK B-series VTEC rear T brack and side transmission mount are not available in North America at all. I've tried sourcing them from numerous Honda dealerships and I have many friends who work in the parts counter of Honda dealerships check for me, without success. I got my set in Singapore from Singapore Honda. So I know from experience.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:14 PM
Seagull Management

I'm guessing RyanA your theory for the upper transmission bracket is to reuse the original D-series mount (which in theory at least is completely reasonable seeing as how this is what we do for the manual version of the same swap) I just don't know if it works the same for an automatic. But that rear T-bracket, i'm stumped on what you could possibly use on that thats USDM, curious to see your findings.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

OK, I'll just say what I was told. Carl said that his friend used a combination of the OEM Civic mounts and FWD Honda CRV automatic mounts. Pretty sure he said they just used the CRV auto T bracket then either the CRV passenger trans mount or bracket. I need an auto Civic shell to verify but I do know he found a combination of mounts/brackets that allowed the LS auto swap to bolt straight in the car. Sounds reasonable since the CRV and Civic are essentially nearly the same BETWEEN the frame rails.

Any experience trying this combo??
Old 08-11-2009, 03:43 PM
Seagull Management

OK, I'll just say what I was told. Carl said that his friend used a combination of the OEM Civic mounts and FWD Honda CRV automatic mounts. Pretty sure he said they just used the CRV auto T bracket then either the CRV passenger trans mount or bracket. I need an auto Civic shell to verify but I do know he found a combination of mounts/brackets that allowed the LS auto swap to bolt straight in the car. Sounds reasonable since the CRV and Civic are essentially nearly the same BETWEEN the frame rails.

Any experience trying this combo??
Hmm, I never even thought of the CR-V for this (although I have wondered before if the 5 speed rear T-bracket would work for a B-series swap in a 6th gen.) You shouldn't need an automatic shell for test fitting. The only 6th gen USDM civics that should be different in terms of where the mounts are bolted in the engine bay are the CVT HX coupes, everything else should be the same.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

True. Don't know why I was having a brain fart on that one. I actually just bought a 99 EX for the D series swap this weekend. I'll have an empty engine bay next week to try it out. I'll also have a GSR auto trans in the next week or 2. Guess I just need to get the T bracket and passenger mount and see how it all fits up.

I'll update the post with my findings as soon as I get all the parts rounded up. I'll post up pics showing if it fits or does not fit.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i was wondering this myself... will be tuned in.
Old 08-16-2009, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are you doing for wiring?
Old 08-18-2009, 04:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll probably end up using a JDM ECU/trans. With an auto car, it plugs straight in and the amount of solenoids is the same.
Old 08-18-2009, 01:06 PM
Seagull Management

I'll probably end up using a JDM ECU/trans. With an auto car, it plugs straight in and the amount of solenoids is the same.
Theres more to it than that. most automatic B-series trannys use a seperate TCM that needs to be wired in.
Old 08-26-2009, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump for this on the wiring...should be the same in a 95 civic...what about using a teg auto tranny mount?
Old 08-27-2009, 05:08 PM
Seagull Management

Originally Posted by blackoutt
Bump for this on the wiring...should be the same in a 95 civic...
IIRC its a lot easier in a '92 - '95

Originally Posted by blackoutt
what about using a teg auto tranny mount?
Too long in a 6th gen, should theoretically work in a 5th gen.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 94EG8
Theres more to it than that. most automatic B-series trannys use a seperate TCM that needs to be wired in.
On JDM cars, there's not more to that. The ECU performs the shifts. No separate TCM like USDM Integras. It's JUST LIKE the USDM 96-00 Civics. I actually already have a JDM P72 ECU and the conversion harness (4 plug JDM ECU to 4 plug OBD2A USDM car). The ONLY thing I will have to add wiring for inside would be the shifter and, maybe, a different brake switch to control torque converter lock/unlock when you touch the brakes.

Ryan
Old 09-13-2009, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you installing a JDM auto GSR or USDM auto LS?
Old 09-14-2009, 05:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

JDM auto GSR...

Quick Reply: B series with auto in 96-00??