Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B16A engine temp issue. Need advise!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 04:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16A engine temp issue. Need advise!

hey guys, i'm not sure whats wrong with my motor. I get different answers from different mechs and now I'm confused. Here's my situation. Currently running on a 92 B16A EG6 JDM motor. Engine is stock, nothing's changed.

As I drive, my engine temperature is normal. Once I stop (at a traffic light), the temp rises. Once I start moving again, it drops back to normal.

Checked my radiator. Not leaking. Radiator fan is working as well. Currently using Motul radiator coolant (if that helps)

So my first mech told me, my engine block is warped. He came to that conclusion by doing a test. He removed the radiator cap, revved the engine, and water came squirting out and it appears to be bubblish. Is it true?

Another mech told me that its due to faulty radiator. I don't quite know what he means as I have yet to reply his message.

Anyone here experience this before? As for the time being, I removed my thermostat, so my engine wont get heated up too quickly.

THANKS ALOT. MUCH APPRECIATED!
Old 03-09-2009, 04:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16A engine temp issue. Need advise!

is it still over heating with the thermostat out?
Old 03-09-2009, 05:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by arrowhead_vtec
So my first mech told me, my engine block is warped. He came to that conclusion by doing a test. He removed the radiator cap, revved the engine, and water came squirting out and it appears to be bubblish. Is it true?
are you kidding?!?!? was that the test??? LOL!!!
Old 03-09-2009, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im having the same problem with my b16. dont have a clue whats wrong
Old 03-10-2009, 03:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it hasn't yet. didnt really try it out after removing the thermostat.

sohc_4dr: erm, yeah it was...
Old 03-10-2009, 10:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

put some miles on it with the thermostat out still and see if it is heating up still. chances are the thermostat was just stuck closed and not allowing the coolant to cycle or somebody could have put the wrong temp thermostat in.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:00 AM

i'm no expert but hows your water pump? you say temp is going up with your car stopped(at idle right?) and when you drive (increased rpms) temperature is fine?
Old 03-10-2009, 11:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I feel the need to chime in here. I had literally the exact same problem. I couldnt figure out what the hell it was. I dont have your motor, I have a completely stock d15b motor.

It would never overheat on the highway, only during traffic, especially when the AC was on. I changed all the small **** first. Thermo, flushed the coolant, rad cap. Didnt work. I then needed to change my timing belt so I did that, and the waterpump at the same time. Still didnt fix it. I said **** it, and then bought a better radiator, still did not fix it. Still had the EXACT same problem.

Pretty much narrowed it down to the head gasket. SO I said **** it and got someone to change my head gasket on the side. I could tell a difference almost immediately in how the car drove a bit better. We looked at the head gasket and one of the cylinders seemed to be leaking. I was burning my coolant.

BUT this was not the end of this BS overheating issue. 2 weeks later the car overheated. I was like WHAT THE HELL. The head did not seem to be warped. So I looked at my engine and noticed coolant on the outside of it.I found out that I had a torn water inlet hose. I also noticed how my upper rad hose was not completely tight, and lower was not completely tight.

All in all Ive had the car for 2 years, started with 83k, now has almost 97k. For the last month I have been checking my coolant etc and I am FINALLY not burning or leaking any coolant, and the car runs at normal temperature.

Moral of the story, check the extremely small **** first, and then wait to do the big things. It could be the smallest thing ever, or worst thing(a leaking head gasket, or warped head.) Their are various tests to do to determine what is causing what, but I would start with a leakdown test first after you have checked all of your coolant lines etc.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yo i got a 97 ek swapped with a b18b ls motor. had the exact same problem. It over headed coming back from the beach one day and blew a return heater core coolant hose. So replaced that, still over heated at stops. Then did a coolant flush, same thing. Looped my head core outllet back into the core inlet return. still over heating. All new hoses and coolant. Finally i checked my thremo. Ding got a winner. When the shop put in the motor they put the wrong thermo in there. put a really high temp in there. Changed out with a low temp thermo. Fixed my problem. Id double check all the parts to make sure there right.
Old 03-10-2009, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts

Also bleed the cooling system. There might be some air trapped in there that's preventing proper coolant flow.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

as for the thermostat, mine was brand new when i plonked in the b16a. it was genuine honda stuff. have been using the thermostat for about 8-9 months now, worked fine all the while.

serviced my car few weeks back. flushed radiator was the water was murky. added coolant. actually, only right after my service, did this problem arise. well i cannot fully blame what happened during the service, but i think i will start by checking all the radiator hoses.

my reserve water tank for the radiator is always full, never dropped in its level, so i guess that rules out leaking (m i right?)

water pump : never changed it before. its 1 of the possibility.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if this all started happen after you serviced your car and flushed your coolant system it is starting to sound more and more like you have air trapped in the system some where
Old 03-11-2009, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so i guess i should take it back to my workshop and bleed the cooling system? i swear i rmb seeing them do that... i could be wrong though..
Old 03-11-2009, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

as for the thermostat, mine was brand new when i plonked in the b16a. it was genuine honda stuff. have been using the thermostat for about 8-9 months now, worked fine all the while.

serviced my car few weeks back. flushed radiator was the water was murky. added coolant. actually, only right after my service, did this problem arise. well i cannot fully blame what happened during the service, but i think i will start by checking all the radiator hoses.

my reserve water tank for the radiator is always full, never dropped in its level, so i guess that rules out leaking (m i right?)

I would look into that water pump.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

check your radiator too. If the levels are not going down on a week to week basis then you are not burning, nor leaking coolant. simply means one of your internal devices is not functioning properly. Could be the water pump, could be the thermo, could be the thermo switch, or it could just be air in the system.