Notices
Acura Integra Type-R All Integra Type R Discussions

fullsize c&r radiator cool too well?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fullsize c&r radiator cool too well?

my oem radiator cracked and i need to replace it, i have decided on a c&r with spal fan.

i have a civic and i have the option of the fullsize(integra length) or stock size, the difference is only 20$, they are both dualcore... my concern is that if i get the fullsize my engine will not heat up to operating temp, i have a b18c5.

does anyone have an opinion or experience with this? thanks.

Old 06-24-2003, 03:49 PM

Default Re: fullsize c&r radiator cool too well? (euclid)

Hmm. Unfortunately, I don't have an experience with these radiators. I think you should be ok. I've heard great things about C&R and others (Fluidyne, Koyo).. Hopefully someone can give you a better answer..
Old 06-24-2003, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It will just only take longer for the engine to reach full operating temperature.

Correct me if I'm wrong guys.
Old 06-24-2003, 03:56 PM

Default Re: fullsize c&r radiator cool too well? (type r 01-1063)

my thinking is there will be a much larger coolant capacity and so much cooling potential that it will never fully reach operating temp.
Old 06-24-2003, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

As long as you have a thermostat in there it will reach operating temp however I doubt the thermostat will ever reach full open maybe just 50-70% of full open but great leaves you plenty of headroom for track duty. By the way what's the pricing for the C/R radiators in comparo to say fluidyne.
Old 06-24-2003, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

C&R DC2 Realtime Spec w/ built in oil cooler 4 row rad barely fits my EK. No such thing for a radiator to cool too well.

Old 06-24-2003, 05:13 PM

Default Re: fullsize c&r radiator cool too well? (integratom)

i'm not sure the exact pricing on the fluidyn but i am 90% sure it is around $350 for the full size, it is single core and doesn't come with a fan.

the c&r is $365 for the half sized daul core(oem civic sized) and it comes with a spal fan, the full size(integra size, civic appliation) is $385. and the true integra application radiator and fan combo is $400. a more realistic contender for the c&r(quality wise) is the pwr which is $295, daul core, oem civic sized, no fan.

so assuming the engine runs cooler all the time, below normal operating temp, will it cause cause damage or will it be better? i thought you are not susposed to run the engine hard untill it has fully heated up, my car will be seeing the track often. thanks for the help

edit: holy **** supertwinz, that's a beast. how much does it weigh?
Old 06-24-2003, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

running your engine cooler only prolongs life and gives you performance. there are no negatives.
Old 06-24-2003, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by euclid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
so assuming the engine runs cooler all the time, below normal operating temp, will it cause cause damage or will it be better? i thought you are not susposed to run the engine hard untill it has fully heated up, my car will be seeing the track often. thanks for the help

edit: holy **** supertwinz, that's a beast. how much does it weigh?</TD></TR></TABLE>

You'll be running cooler than stock, but you'll still reach a safe operating temperature regardless.
Old 06-24-2003, 06:14 PM

Default Re: fullsize c&r radiator cool too well? (rodrez)

fullsize it is thanks guys
Old 06-24-2003, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yah man. C&R is some top notch stuff. i really can't compare it to stock or anything cuz i started out with it on my new motor. but my temps dont go near halfway. and i got a built 2.0L.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: fullsize c&r radiator cool too well? (Supertwinz)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Supertwinz &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">C&R DC2 Realtime Spec w/ built in oil cooler 4 row rad barely fits my EK. No such thing for a radiator to cool too well.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

that what i need
C & R radiators
Old 06-24-2003, 08:07 PM
.RJ

Default Re: fullsize c&r radiator cool too well? (SlapSmak)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SlapSmak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">running your engine cooler only prolongs life and gives you performance. there are no negatives.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'm not so sure - the factory designed the car to operate at a certain temperature range, and running cooler may hurt that.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: fullsize c&r radiator cool too well? (.RJ)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by .RJ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I'm not so sure - the factory designed the car to operate at a certain temperature range, and running cooler may hurt that.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Not sure I understand how that would harm a motor. But now I'm curious
Old 06-24-2003, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: fullsize c&r radiator cool too well? (.RJ)

You can run too cool. My Civic has that problem when running at "high" speed (80+ kmh) as the engine bay's very well ventilated causing the engine temperature to drop to startup levels.

This happened to me the other night while doing a few 0-100 timed runs. Started out at normal operating temp, and eventually had to stop after 4 runs (2 good / 2 botched) because the motor was running too cold. ie - poor idle, no longer free-revving or pulling above 5000rpm.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: fullsize c&r radiator cool too well? (DA)

where do you do 0-100 timed runs. hopefully not on public roads.

(thats like 0-60mph right) but still, not on public roads.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DA &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You can run too cool. My Civic has that problem when running at "high" speed (80+ kmh) as the engine bay's very well ventilated causing the engine temperature to drop to startup levels.

This happened to me the other night while doing a few 0-100 timed runs. Started out at normal operating temp, and eventually had to stop after 4 runs (2 good / 2 botched) because the motor was running too cold. ie - poor idle, no longer free-revving or pulling above 5000rpm.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yep. Have experienced this with a turbo supra as well. Switched to a clutch fan instead of electric fans to fix it.

I've actually read a docuemnt/aritcle somewhere before regarding this but I can't remember where.

Dunno if the C&R will be that efficient since I don't have one, but there IS such as thing as too much engine cooling.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: fullsize c&r radiator cool too well? (baonest)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by baonest &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">where do you do 0-100 timed runs. hopefully not on public roads.

(thats like 0-60mph right) but still, not on public roads.</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol yeah 0-60 is just CRAZY fast and dangerous.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: fullsize c&r radiator cool too well? (FizzleDaKlown)

haha. i had to think about that. i fergot he is in kmh. reminds me of days of thunder.

i use to do top fuel burnouts and speed runs in my HS parking lot, till one day one of the teachers told me 'this isnt atlanta motor speedway. "
Old 06-24-2003, 09:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: fullsize c&r radiator cool too well? (FizzleDaKlown)

Yep. That's a whole 0-62 mph in 9.2x seconds with 3 shifts. Slow but fun. I did this on a well lit and empty public road at night.

I just stated this as an example of how you can have too much cooling. Even if you were on a track, you'd still have problems due to the increased rate of cooling. The only time I've run ok with the Civic was during summer.
Old 06-24-2003, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn. 0-62 in 9.XX haha. well damn. do it all you want. lol. was that in the '77 civic
Old 06-24-2003, 10:07 PM

Default Re: fullsize c&r radiator cool too well? (Supertwinz)

damn..you got a nice set up there...........
Old 06-24-2003, 11:15 PM

Default Re: fullsize c&r radiator cool too well? (SlapSmak)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by SlapSmak &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">running your engine cooler only prolongs life and gives you performance. there are no negatives.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont know about that comment...care to explain why? becaue actually if your motor is not wrmed up to a nominal operating temp, ie. too cool, you can cause premature wear and tear on the motor and its supporting components.
Old 06-24-2003, 11:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: fullsize c&r radiator cool too well? (type r 01-1063)

I have a B18C5 in my SI and I run a FLuidyne civic radiator the stock size and it works realy well
Old 06-24-2003, 11:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: fullsize c&r radiator cool too well? (baonest)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by baonest &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">damn. 0-62 in 9.XX haha. well damn. do it all you want. lol. was that in the '77 civic</TD></TR></TABLE>

I'd be ashamed of anyone who'd do that sort of time in an ITR . The Integra gets taken to the track for this stuff where it's more appropriate.

Quick Reply: fullsize c&r radiator cool too well?