Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

b16a Civic (AirCare) - How do ppl in Cali do it?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b16a Civic (AirCare) - How do ppl in Cali do it?

I have a '96 Civic with a b16a Swap, running a p30 ECU from a Civic Si (OBD1). I have a APEXi VAFC controller which is now disconnected; a new CAT, MSD (Sport Compact); and the rest is stock. But I can't pass aircare. Today I spent the day tuning my car w/a Sniffer and found that the lowest possible reading were w/the above setup; leaning out via VAFC did nothing, using a Type-R ECU did nothing..
dumping MetholHydrate does a little bit; but nothing note worthly..

Am I missing any tricks? or am I cursed

Old 09-05-2003, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: b16a Civic (AirCare) - How do ppl in Cali do it? (saiko)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by saiko &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a '96 Civic with a b16a Swap, running a p30 ECU from a Civic Si (OBD1). I have a APEXi VAFC controller which is now disconnected; a new CAT, MSD (Sport Compact); and the rest is stock. But I can't pass aircare. Today I spent the day tuning my car w/a Sniffer and found that the lowest possible reading were w/the above setup; leaning out via VAFC did nothing, using a Type-R ECU did nothing..

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, the P30 is a JDM ecu, so thats your first problem. The ref will not pass a JDM ecu. Try a USDM one, specifically, a cali issued ECU. There are differences.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:52 PM

Default Re: b16a Civic (Hybrid93Eg)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
The ref will not pass a JDM ecu.</TD></TR></TABLE>
In BC.ca they do not go as far as to check the computer in the car to make sure it matchs. HOwever; if the JDM ecu tends to run richer at idle than a USDM one then it's worth a shot, otherwise, there is no need cause they dont' care what ecu I use.
Old 09-05-2003, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16a Civic (saiko)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by saiko &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
In BC.ca they do not go as far as to check the computer in the car to make sure it matchs. HOwever; if the JDM ecu tends to run richer at idle than a USDM one then it's worth a shot, otherwise, there is no need cause they dont' care what ecu I use.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well there must be a difference if Honda went so far as to make a California specific ECU. I would certainly look into it. They are supposed to check the ECU. If they aren't, then that is thier issue, not yours. Not all refs will play 100% by the rules.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:12 PM

I made a mistake, my computer is a P28. Doing a little research, seems there is nothing different between a same model USDM or JDM ECU, however; I am using the USDM ecu, cause I pulled it out of a car in a local wreak yard.

any other tip, tricks or suggestions?
Old 09-05-2003, 06:16 PM

I own a B16A1 in my EG, 93 hatch.
I've gotten Jappanese tunners to try to pass my motor, no luck. Motor will not pass emissions. They given me an under the table emissions(fake test) to say it passes. well, these tuners have tryed everything, even puttin on stock piping, and tuning...so your best bet is to look for a connectiong to get ur fakie
Old 09-05-2003, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16a Civic (EG6[B16A1])

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EG6[B16A1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">]I own a B16A1 in my EG, 93 hatch.
I've gotten Jappanese tunners to try to pass my motor, no luck. Motor will not pass emissions. They given me an under the table emissions(fake test) to say it passes. well, these tuners have tryed everything, even puttin on stock piping, and tuning...so your best bet is to look for a connectiong to get ur fakie </TD></TR></TABLE>

I don't think they have tried everything because there should be no reason a JDM B16 would not pass smog. I have heard of several people using these engines who pass without any issues.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by saiko &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I made a mistake, my computer is a P28. Doing a little research, seems there is nothing different between a same model USDM or JDM ECU, however; I am using the USDM ecu, cause I pulled it out of a car in a local wreak yard.

any other tip, tricks or suggestions?</TD></TR></TABLE>

LOL. Just because it came from a local junkyard doesn't clarify that its a USDM model. Anyways. If you are using a P28 then I am only to assume that you are running a chip of some sort. 90% of all the chips out there dump loads of fuel into the engine and also run advanced timing curves. This might make HP, but it certainly won't help your emissions. You will need to get a stock DOHC ecu in there and see what results you get. You said you ran a Type R ecu in there... how? The TYpe R ECU's are all OBD-2, sounds like your car is setup for OBD-1. So how did you run the R Ecu? Convert the harness to OBD-2? Also, are you running any kind of adjustable fuel pressure regulator? What is your fuel pressure set to? Do you have adjustable cam gears on this car? Have you checked to make sure your timing is set correctly? How close/far are you from passing?
Old 09-05-2003, 06:40 PM

Well, I guess you are right about the USDM or JDM, however either way there's not much difference in stock chip settings. I have a stock ECU w/no chip, and yeah to run the new ECU I got a OBD2-1 conversion harness. There is nothing done to the car that would add extra fuel etc... I must note tho, that my emissions test is only at idle, so the max RPM the engine see's during the test is 2500.. just enough to warm up the CAT. and that's not the problem.. the problem is that at idle.. 900, my car is pumping out mad HydroCarbons.. CO is fine.. any help on that note?

thanks in advance.
Old 09-05-2003, 06:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by saiko &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, I guess you are right about the USDM or JDM, however either way there's not much difference in stock chip settings. I have a stock ECU w/no chip, and yeah to run the new ECU I got a OBD2-1 conversion harness. There is nothing done to the car that would add extra fuel etc... I must note tho, that my emissions test is only at idle, so the max RPM the engine see's during the test is 2500.. just enough to warm up the CAT. and that's not the problem.. the problem is that at idle.. 900, my car is pumping out mad HydroCarbons.. CO is fine.. any help on that note?

thanks in advance.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Hydrocarbons = unburnt fuel. You can't run a "stock" chip P28 on a DOHC engine. Its going to run like complete ***. I would highly recommend either chipping the ECU (second choice), or getting a P30/P61/P72 to see how this helps out. I would never use the stock P28 on a DOHC engine unless I had absolutely no other choices and needed to move the car. How long have you been running this ECU? How old is the cat? Did you make good and sure to warm it up real well on the way to the test? Throwing any codes?
Old 09-05-2003, 06:54 PM

Default Re: b16a Civic (AirCare) - How do ppl in Cali do it? (saiko)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by saiko &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have a '96 Civic with a b16a Swap, running a p30 ECU from a Civic Si (OBD1). I have a APEXi VAFC controller which is now disconnected; a new CAT, MSD (Sport Compact); and the rest is stock. But I can't pass aircare. Today I spent the day tuning my car w/a Sniffer and found that the lowest possible reading were w/the above setup; leaning out via VAFC did nothing, using a Type-R ECU did nothing..

</TD></TR></TABLE>

I know many people that have done this same swap with positive results.

A few things.

Why are you using a OBD1 ecu on a OBD2 car. Is the ecu modified? Or stock. If stock, then there's one reason * you are using SOHC maps on a DOHC engine. Try to find a 96-97 delSol VTEC P30 ecu. Also, make sure both 02 sensors are hooked up and working properly and the ecu does not show any MIL codes. (CEL)

You said you got a new cat. What type did you buy? OEM? If you got a performance cat, some of them don't work nearly as well as The OEM honda unit. You could always try to find a good cat from a 96-99 GSR, this is a good replacement.

The MSD will do nothing to make your engine run clean.

Since you didn't make a mention of it, I'll just give you a little more info.

Aftermarket headers will/can cause higher emmissions.
Aftermarket intakes will/can cause higher emmissions

Hope this helps you out.