Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B16 VS B18 tranny housing differences

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009, 08:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16 VS B18 tranny housing differences

Hey, anyone have any idea if I the b16 transmission housing would work paired up with a GSR housing? Mines all sorts of effed up and I have a friend with a spare b16 tranny sitting around
Old 05-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Master Detailer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: B16 VS B18 tranny housing differences

you should be ok, the only difference is whats insde.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That's what I'm hoping for, I think I'm the only person to ever exhaust the use of JB Weld
Old 05-06-2009, 07:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone else? Know of any major differences between the casings of the ls and gsr or the b16 and gsr transmissions?
Old 05-07-2009, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

im pretty sure all b-series trannys bolt up.
Old 05-07-2009, 09:39 AM

I've got a combination of GSR/ITR/LS guts in an LS case, the only difference in B-series tranny cases is cable vs. hydro.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so then i could buy an LS housing and replace my current GSR housing with that? Ive had someone tell me that they are all different and that this wouldnt be possible, hence why im really trying to drive the point home, I dont wanna waste $$
Old 05-07-2009, 11:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Shouldn't be any difference most/all B series would work..i had a B20z with a b16 tranny it bolted up fine..so u should be okay.
Old 05-07-2009, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 98civdx
you should be ok, the only difference is whats insde.
no

Originally Posted by Since 1983
That's what I'm hoping for, I think I'm the only person to ever exhaust the use of JB Weld
na, i had a friend use it to plug a hole where the stock diff **** the bed and spit pieces.

Originally Posted by IanB
I've got a combination of GSR/ITR/LS guts in an LS case, the only difference in B-series tranny cases is cable vs. hydro.
no, i believe you

however the b16 and gsr/itr bearings are different. i can't remember the exact combo.

mistabone is member here, haven't seen him in a while. but IIRC he is the resident walking transmission library.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the tranny i have is fully functional, so it isnt like im mismatching and swapping stuff in to make one working tranny, I have a friend with a tranny from a 99 si and its sittin around doing nothing, I know that it has to be re-shimmed to ensure proper fitment and transmission longevity. I can swap everything from my current gsr tranny over, its all interchangeable as far as I know. so we will see how this goes
Old 05-07-2009, 01:43 PM

Mine is "sealed" with JB Weld where the housing is cracked at the drain plug. Unfortunately, it still has a slow leak and like you I need to either replace my housing (been thinking the same thing about a GSR housing), attempt to have the crack welded shut (least expensive solution), or shell out $$$ for another tranny with a LSD.
Old 05-07-2009, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah i think you may run into problems with different size diff carrier bearings.

if you do, autozone bearings all day.

do it
Old 05-07-2009, 02:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All the Hydro B-series trans cases are the exact same with one exception..

The NON-LSD cases have aluminum fins that direct splashed oil to the spider gears in the differential. The LSD case has these fins cropped to make room for the larger factory LSD unit. I've used Non LSD cases for LSD diff transmission builds and trimmed the fins using a pair of wire dikes or pneumatic angle grinder. After a wash in the solvent tank they're good as ever..

What I would NOT recommend doing is mixing case halves.. Tranny halfs between years vary location ever so slightly, but can use all the same parts. I accidentally used a late model case half(ones that have vin numbers and small diameter vent tube) with an early case half (one with no vin numbers and large diameter vent tube) and it worked, but I had problems shifting gears as it kinda binded things up with the shift selector/forks.. So if you have good internals, put them in your buddy's case and be done with it.. If you need any help or parts, the guys at Gearspeed.com are VERY good guys to be friends with.

One thing you WILL need to know, is how to shim your differential.. If you have too much end play or not enough you can kinda mess things up... The shims honda uses are referenced by internal hole diameter and thickness.. And I'd recommend replacing ALL seals if you're going to do all that since you already have it out..

Hope this helps you out..
Old 05-07-2009, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by gotz2b16
All the Hydro B-series trans cases are the exact same with one exception..

The NON-LSD cases have aluminum fins that direct splashed oil to the spider gears in the differential. The LSD case has these fins cropped to make room for the larger factory LSD unit. I've used Non LSD cases for LSD diff transmission builds and trimmed the fins using a pair of wire dikes or pneumatic angle grinder. After a wash in the solvent tank they're good as ever..

What I would NOT recommend doing is mixing case halves.. Tranny halfs between years vary location ever so slightly, but can use all the same parts. I accidentally used a late model case half(ones that have vin numbers and small diameter vent tube) with an early case half (one with no vin numbers and large diameter vent tube) and it worked, but I had problems shifting gears as it kinda binded things up with the shift selector/forks.. So if you have good internals, put them in your buddy's case and be done with it.. If you need any help or parts, the guys at Gearspeed.com are VERY good guys to be friends with.

One thing you WILL need to know, is how to shim your differential.. If you have too much end play or not enough you can kinda mess things up... The shims honda uses are referenced by internal hole diameter and thickness.. And I'd recommend replacing ALL seals if you're going to do all that since you already have it out..

Hope this helps you out..
thats what the plan now is, we are just going to use my internals in his b16 housing, then throw his b16 internals into my old housing and sell it cheap. my buddy is a pretty knowledgeable honda person and hes a machinist so hopefully this will be up and running this weekend
Old 12-03-2015, 09:02 PM
Trial User

thats what the plan now is, we are just going to use my internals in his b16 housing, then throw his b16 internals into my old housing and sell it cheap. my buddy is a pretty knowledgeable honda person and hes a machinist so hopefully this will be up and running this weekend
Did you ever get the internals swapper??? The reason i am asking is because i have almost the same problem you do just in reverse. I have a good b16 trans with a bad case and a bad ls tans with a good case. A lot of the information I have found is some people saying you can and some people saying you can't but have not been able to find anyone that has actually done it… Any Info will help… THanks in advance
Old 12-04-2015, 02:05 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

The cases are basically all the same. Some have a larger vent tube than others but that's it. What you have available to you will absolutely work. Just make sure you shim the diff and mainshaft when you swap them over.