Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

b16 swap ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 09:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b16 swap ?

I have a 98 civic sedan as my daily driver, that is til the y8 took a **** and threw a rod. now that i have a decent chunk of change for a swap, I was looking at my options. I looked on hmotorsonline but was a little uneasy about the pricing, although the Honda dealership wanted close to 5 grand for a brand new d16y8. screw that. So I was looking at H22's, B18's and B16's. I'm moving back to Texas soon so A/C is a must, so that rules out the H22. Can't afford a K20 swap, which I didn't bother researching too much, but assumed A/C would get scrapped in that too. B18C's seem a little out of my price range for the most part, not to mention they're pretty scarce around here. So after looking at prices online, I decided to try some shops and salvage yards around here (Minneapolis, MN). I got a hold of one shop that has two bone stock B16's still in the 99 Si chassis ready for picking. One has 17,000 miles on it. They want 3 grand for the complete change over (engine, tranny, axles, ecu, harness, all the required stuff to make the swap work) and 550 for labor. Is this a good deal? I would do the swap myself except I don't have a cherry picker nor the time since it is my daily driver and I'm out of work until the car is fixed. I'm just wondering if this is a decent deal (pretty much my only option as of now due to time). I made an appointment to go to the shop and test drive the car before they yank the engine to make sure everything is good before hand. 17,000 miles though, I'm not expecting any problems but you never know, the car is there.

Also, I've been reading up on some people that went from y8's to b16's and they said they really didn't feel a difference in power except for after 5k rpms. Is this true or are they dumb for setting too high of an expection from switching stock motors? I read somewhere that the b16 dynos at around 140 to the wheels average. Hell of a lot better than my d16 with i/h/e. I'd be lucky if I saw over 110.

And last, will my aftermarket CAI and exhaust still fit? I'd imagine the CAI would still fit with a little bit of cutting, but if this was true I don't see why they'd have hybrid intakes on the market except for cars with a totally different chassis.

I plan on going turbo with this engine in the future. Nothing too wild, just enough power to hold my own when some dick sees a Civic with a shiny exhaust and rims and thinks he needs to flex his Detroit Muscle.

Any and all feedback is welcome, thanks in advance. I'll try to do a follow up after the swap and give my opinion. Won't be for a week or so so if I'm getting burned, warn me quick!
Old 03-06-2006, 09:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16 swap ? (theruckus)

alright bro. exhaust will fit. as long as you doing a motor from a civic your fine, if it was a b18 anything you'd have problems. most people pay about 3-4 grand for b16 swaps. so pricing is alright. if you totally not able then pay the men but if you want you can swap it yourself. its easy just take your time. the b16 is a good pick if your looking to retain power steering and all that. and you will definetly notice a power difference. your d put out 110 to the wheels and 90 ft lbs. your b will get 100 ft lbs and at least 145 to the wheels. good luck bro.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats all that a b16 is is a hyped up motor. it fills like a d16 till a little before you hit vtec. hp doesnt matter as much as tq. the b16 doesnt put that much more tq out than the d16. in that beiung said you could find a d16z6 motor or y8 motor buy it and have it installed for maybe a lil over 1000 dollars and then that other money you woulda spent on the b16 could be put towards the turbo kit. all a b16 is is a d16 with two cams
Old 03-06-2006, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16 swap ? (sohctodohc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by imskatencrzy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">alright bro. exhaust will fit. as long as you doing a motor from a civic your fine, if it was a b18 anything you'd have problems. most people pay about 3-4 grand for b16 swaps. so pricing is alright. if you totally not able then pay the men but if you want you can swap it yourself. its easy just take your time. the b16 is a good pick if your looking to retain power steering and all that. and you will definetly notice a power difference. your d put out 110 to the wheels and 90 ft lbs. your b will get 100 ft lbs and at least 145 to the wheels. good luck bro.</TD></TR></TABLE>

exaclty my point 10ft\lbs of torque.....
Old 03-06-2006, 09:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16 swap ? (sohctodohc)

haha true that
Old 03-07-2006, 12:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16 swap ? (imskatencrzy)

you CAN keep a/c in your ek!! along with power steering.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: b16 swap ? (xd69)

Personally id do a turbo kit on the d-series, But thats me. But I do have to say I do have a b16 in my gutted crx, which is not street legal, but I drive it anyway. The point is, the sound of vtec in a na dual cam is very addicting. But also is the spool of a turbo.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah I went through the same problem earlier last week I had my cars converted to a manual since my auto was done for dont ask long story. so I was looking into a b16 myself I live around people who had a b16 swap into an ek they felt no difference. All my friends told me not worth it for an ek but you can always try a ls-vtec turbo on this it spectacular and the compression ratio is just right many people often build it up with a couple of grand become the perfect setup right now I decided to go ls-vtec building it up with my friend, so try a b18 their worth the money
Old 03-07-2006, 05:17 AM

I would go for it. it sounds a little over priced, but it's your DD and after doing a lot of swaps, i would pay the 550 if you have never done this before.

As far as the type of motor you want, I would have gone with the H23 bottom end with H22 head. With that setup, you won't need AC. I have a B18C w/bolt ons in mine and then I drove my friends H23. I will never go B series again. Oh, and that setup cost less than a GSR swap.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:58 AM

well see thats the thing, i'm not working because my car's engine is fucked and the only other engines I can find are d16y7's. i like the aftermarket support for the b16 and they have much more potential. I just see it like this: you can turbo a D (which mine is broken, as stated above so I dont know where the turbo came from) but I'd be just a little past where the b16 starts. Yeah, you can turn up the boost but really, how much power can you have in a D16 and keep it reliable? I don't want to have to turn down the boost all the time. People have 500whp B16's, but I'm aiming for around 350whp, I'm not a drag racer. I know that number is acheivable on a B16 without running a shitload of boost. I was seriously considering turboing the D before she died, but I also have 2 kids and a wife, and until later this month, its our only means of transportation, so reliability is my number one concern, as well as time. But this deal just jumped in front of me and the fact that they have 2 99 Si's sitting there with motors ready to be yanked is like a sign to me. Especially since the engine I'm getting has 17,000 miles as opposed to my 90,000+ on the D. It was fun, it has potential, but not the support that the B's have. Not to mention, most mechanics and most tech articles I've seen deal with B's. D series is the bastard child of Honda engines. I'd love an H22 but one, I haven't found a reasonably priced one in this area, and two, might have to give up a/c which isn't good in Texas in the summer.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (theruckus)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by theruckus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well see thats the thing, i'm not working because my car's engine is fucked and the only other engines I can find are d16y7's. i like the aftermarket support for the b16 and they have much more potential. I just see it like this: you can turbo a D (which mine is broken, as stated above so I dont know where the turbo came from) but I'd be just a little past where the b16 starts. Yeah, you can turn up the boost but really, how much power can you have in a D16 and keep it reliable? I don't want to have to turn down the boost all the time. People have 500whp B16's, but I'm aiming for around 350whp, I'm not a drag racer. I know that number is acheivable on a B16 without running a shitload of boost. I was seriously considering turboing the D before she died, but I also have 2 kids and a wife, and until later this month, its our only means of transportation, so reliability is my number one concern, as well as time. But this deal just jumped in front of me and the fact that they have 2 99 Si's sitting there with motors ready to be yanked is like a sign to me. Especially since the engine I'm getting has 17,000 miles as opposed to my 90,000+ on the D. It was fun, it has potential, but not the support that the B's have. Not to mention, most mechanics and most tech articles I've seen deal with B's. D series is the bastard child of Honda engines. I'd love an H22 but one, I haven't found a reasonably priced one in this area, and two, might have to give up a/c which isn't good in Texas in the summer. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like you have no idea what your talking about. There is as much aftermarket for the d series as there is for the b series. You just think there isnt becuase everyone and their mom swaps to them. If your only wanting 350whp I think its extremely rediculous to spend the money on a swap. 90k miles on the d series is not much at all. I have 120k on my d series and when I use to drive it everyday, I would beat the **** out of it. Still runs like the first day I boosted it. Spend your money as you please, but dont say stuff that is not true. Every product that is out for the b series, there is a sister part for the d series.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:53 AM

I didn't read this whole thread, but jdmcustoms.com is where I'd order my engine from - it's got free shipping to anywhere in the lower 48 states included in the price - I've never ordered from them, but I've found their prices seem to be the most accomodating.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:53 PM

How did we get on the subject of turbo D series engines? My D16y8 is scrap metal right now, what good would a turbo do? I had an easier time finding a B16 than any D series engine, new and used (a new D16y8 is over 5k from the dealership). Put a D series in and use the money to turbo it? And what, spend the same amount of money as a B swap and still only have about 10-20 more hp than a stock B16 unless I turn up the boost. I'd probably end up spending 3 grand more just to get the D to the same power level as a turbo B series. Doesn't make sense. 300whp is an easier goal with a B16 than it is with a D16 and the B will be more reliable since it will take less boost to get there. And I haven't mentioned all of the part swapping with other B series. Type R cams, pistons, ls/vtec, all options with a B series. There's more potential for power with this powerplant IMO. But thats not what this thread was about, I asked if 3k was a good deal for a B16 complete swap with 17,000 miles on the engine, not whether a D series is better than a B series, which clearly the B is better otherwise people wouldn't swap in the first place.