Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

B16 del Sol started fine and died after sitting for awhile, fuel issue?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2011, 01:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16 del Sol started fine and died after sitting for awhile, fuel issue?

Alright guys, so I finally got to start my sol today and was hoping to drive it...BUT.. it randomly died after idling fine for about 5 minutes. The tank was on E and it sat for 6 months in my garage so I'm thinking I must have gummed up my fuel filter or the pump. It's a del sol with a b16 and I live in the frigid midwest if that makes a difference..

I still hear my walbro wining when it primes up every time I turn the ignition on, so the pump seems to be working fine, my guess is the fuel filter is clogged... My dad took me to get a gas can and a can of HEET and we put that **** in and it still won't start, cranks all day but won't pop or anything... Any ideas guys?

I WANT TO DRIVE MY CAR SOOOOO BAD!!! Help me so I can get this taken care of. Its been over 6 months since I've driven her Worst off is since I'm up at school I have like ZERO tools here, so I'm hoping to gather some input and tell my dad what tools to bring up here.

I think I could cry right now.. I went from giddy like a school girl to drive my sol again after 6 months to completely pissed off/depressed. Ugh fml
Old 05-02-2011, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Post Re: B16 del Sol started fine and died after sitting for awhile, fuel issue?

When you crank the engine, how many RPMs show on the tachometer?

If I were you, I would check for spark bright white spark at all four plugs before checking anything else. (Spark plug socket and wrench. If no spark, need multimeter, #1 & #2 phillips, metric socket wrench.)

You can determine the fuel status pretty easily by renting a fuel pressure gauge from Autozone and hooking it to the service port on top of the fuel filter. (Metric wrench...12?) The injectors could still have a problem, I suppose, but I really don't think varnished injectors would cause a no-start. That could theoretically be checked by disconnecting the black/yellow wire that goes to the distributor, removing the plugs, cranking the engine for 10 seconds, and performing a smell check for gasoline. (NO SMOKING!) If the fuel pressure is good I would just move on to checking other things, though.

If it's not spark or fuel, you'll need a timing light and a multimeter, minimum.
Old 05-02-2011, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: B16 del Sol started fine and died after sitting for awhile, fuel issue?

the tach doesn't move when I crank the engine. I also have a fuel pressure gauge on my oem filter, and it shows pressure. I've been told it may be a distributor issue, or more specifically the ignitor. I'm gonna be checking those for sure when my pops comes back up with some tools
Old 05-02-2011, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: B16 del Sol started fine and died after sitting for awhile, fuel issue?

Originally Posted by honda_racing101
the tach doesn't move when I crank the engine. I also have a fuel pressure gauge on my oem filter, and it shows pressure. I've been told it may be a distributor issue, or more specifically the ignitor. I'm gonna be checking those for sure when my pops comes back up with some tools

No tach reading is more than likely your coil. Are you getting a spark at all? You can usually hear it "snapping" if you slightly pull the boot off when someone is cranking it, or if you are more adventurous you can pull the wire boot, stick an insulated screw driver end into the boot and bring the shank part of the screwdriver close to ground... you should see a spark.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well since my car is with me up at school I have no tools here. My pops is coming up on Wednesday with some tools so we can check some things
Old 05-05-2011, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The igniter provides the tachometer with the signal for the tach to display, so if the tach isn't moving, I would look to the igniter first, the three sensors second, and the ECU third.

The coil could be bad, but if it is, it probably took the igniter down with it. All you need is a multimeter and a phillips screwdriver to test the resistance of the coil, the sensors, and the power to the igniter. FYI, there isn't a test that will definitively identify the igniter as the culprit, but if you rule out the coil, the sensors, and the harness, the igniter is almost certianly bad. The ECU could theoretically cause the problem, but that is quite unlikely.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well my dad came up today with some tools so I pulled the dizzy off and brought the ICM to vato zone to have them check it and it failed. So I bought a new one and had them check it as well and it passed.. still no spark.

I also replaced the cap and rotor and still nothing.

Sonia's - I wish I would have read this before working today, but I guess the next thing I'll do check the coil the next time my dad can come back up with tools again.

What sensors are you referring to exactly? And does anyone have a link for checking the coil?

Also, is there a way to check if the dizzy is getting power? Like checking one of the wires?
Old 05-06-2011, 09:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

There are three sensors in the distributor that determine the position of the crank. They are connected directly to the ECU.

BLK/YEL wire is 12v when the ignition is on.
You need to get a wiring diagram for your car so that you can check the harness. That can be found in the honda service manuals that is linked to on this site. You also need to get a multimeter and a screwdriver.

Try cranking the engine for 30 sec. Does the check engine light come on? If so, you'll need to retrieve the code - that will help a lot with troubleshooting.

Good Luck
Old 05-06-2011, 09:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

put gas in it ......