Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Axle seals are broken?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 04:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Axle seals are broken?

Ok so it seems now a days that the only use i really get out of the honda stealership is an oil change and a diagnostic...prices are way too high and i know way too many mechanics to be paying 340 dollars for an install on a 20 part. So ive been having leaks underneith my car on the driveway...and i did a touch test and it feels like oil but the spots are in 2 differnet places...honda says its that the axle seals are broken..

my question to this audience of gurus...whats an axle seal...what does it seal in (dont say axle im not that stupid theres gotta be more to it), is whatevers leaking refillable somehow till i get it fixed? is it require alot of **** to fix it? just basically what all am i looking at doing for this to be repaired and is it even the problem? if u guys need pics of the spots on the driveway lol i can get some...

thanks in advance...

Andrew
Old 02-07-2007, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Axle seals are broken? (Hyjnx)

Old 02-07-2007, 05:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

number 11?
Old 02-07-2007, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (Hyjnx)

axle seals are on the tranny where the axle and halfshaft go into the tranny i paid less then 20 for both, if its leaking alot you should probably refill your tranny fluid until you get it fixed before you damage your tranny , if you dont know how search there a a bunch of threads on how to fill it up.
Old 02-08-2007, 06:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks man
Old 02-08-2007, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dek1mfk)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dek1mfk &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">axle seals are on the tranny where the axle and halfshaft go into the tranny i paid less then 20 for both, if its leaking alot you should probably refill your tranny fluid until you get it fixed before you damage your tranny , if you dont know how search there a a bunch of threads on how to fill it up. </TD></TR></TABLE>

He's just going to leak more fluid if he puts more in, plus he has to make sure he doesn't overfill it... but then again, maybe that's why it's leaking to begin with - some numnut overfilled it. Typically, tranny fluid should be filled up to the axle, and will run out if the axles are out. That's when you know to stop.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EKcivicEX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EKcivicEX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

He's just going to leak more fluid if he puts more in, plus he has to make sure he doesn't overfill it... but then again, maybe that's why it's leaking to begin with - some numnut overfilled it. Typically, tranny fluid should be filled up to the axle, and will run out if the axles are out. That's when you know to stop.</TD></TR></TABLE>

so you remove you axles when empting and refilling you tranny fluid? that's alot of work.

you know there is an easier way. remove the drain plug, empty the fluid. open the fill plug and fill it until fluid is pouring out of it. that's how you know it's full. on a b-series tranny it takes about 2 qt.
Old 02-08-2007, 10:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Axle seals are broken? (Hyjnx)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/642479

this is the tech thread at the top of the page. lots of info!
Old 02-08-2007, 10:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the boots are torn up then usually there will be a thick nasty grease on the inside of the rim if its the axle seals in the tranny then you need a funnel with a tube and theres a bolt on the top left side of the tranny that you have to unscrew to fill it up you can use 5w 30 motor oil or you can spen a lot to get the honda stuff.
Old 02-08-2007, 12:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i dont believe its the boot...

granted we've had alot of snow lately but thre was a puddle on the ground where my car normally is last night with the consistancy of water, but it was like 14 degrees on the driveway so it shoulda been frozen but it did have a mechanised smell to it if that makes sense. Plus it was clear not red not brownish so not oil or tranny ...

I gotta D series btw if htat changes anything which i doubt it will.

so it will be fixed soon just wondering if im in any immediate danger or losing something or if i got some time before the ol bugger wares out
Old 02-08-2007, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Axle seals are broken? (brick top)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by brick top &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/642479

this is the tech thread at the top of the page. lots of info!</TD></TR></TABLE>

ya thanks i looked there before i posted
Old 02-13-2007, 04:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

so you remove you axles when empting and refilling you tranny fluid? that's alot of work.

you know there is an easier way. remove the drain plug, empty the fluid. open the fill plug and fill it until fluid is pouring out of it. that's how you know it's full. on a b-series tranny it takes about 2 qt.</TD></TR></TABLE>

nah... but if they're out then that's easy to see. should have been clearer though, my bad. that fill plug is usually a little bit higher so that would equate to a little more fluid, but I guess that may or may not be trivial at this point.