Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

axle problem, I need help, really confused..

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2007, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default axle problem, I need help, really confused..new pics.

car:92 hatch si
suspension: stock shocks, gc coils, skunk2 camberkit
engine: stock with bolt ons

My axle boots have been ripped for about a year and i have been driving fine with no problems. it clicks like all rip axles do.

begin of problem.
I was driving from the store on sunday evening, I took a hard right which i shouldnt of taken. suddenly loud bang, pop, pop, clunk. etc, you know the deal. the car stops accelerating and engine free spins. i pull over and look, passager axle at the tranny end(the 3 Y looking thing) is touching the ground. BUT, were it ripped to the splines are still attached to the tranny. so i figured big deal, i will just have to replace it.

I towed it home and remove the two passenger axle pieces off the car, got another from a buddy from another single cam car (unsure if it matters what kind of car). I get the tranny end of the new axle popped in. But the splines at the spindle end is not coming out far enough to even put on the axle nut! i scratch my head and decided to pull the axle to fit and screw nut on. this created stretching at the tranny boot end. I said to myself this will be ok. Boy was i wrong. installed everything and tryed to drive it. nope, it tried to rip off like my old axle... and popped the 3Y thing out of place, luckly it didnt rip the boot. what is wrong here?

I compare axles and they are same length, kinda different in appearence. I checked my engine mounts incase my engine might have shifted, but mounts look fine. I am not too sure why i have an axle shortage, i mean its so short that the treads dont even show. am i missing something or did i screw up something when i took that hard right?

if you need pictures, i could try posting some when the sun comes up. please help me out.

Modified by SLow-Side at 4:51 PM 6/12/2007
Old 06-12-2007, 12:22 AM

Default Re: axle problem, I need help, really confused.. (SLow-Side)

on the old shaft is the a dust shield there? on the new one is the one there? if there are remove them...and retry. lube that shaft again and stick it in there. if that doesnt work, count the splines. if that doesnt work than inspect the splines for burrs..you sure you didnt damage something?
Old 06-12-2007, 07:50 AM

Default Re: axle problem, I need help, really confused.. (sexyrex)

new axle fits and i could install it with some pulling and stretching at the tranny end. splines all fit. just seems short? I will post more of the install when i get back at it. i am not sure if anything else broke or what? all components around the axle still looks good, i might be overlooking something that is broken or offset.

dust sheilds in place on both axles, axle only pops out alittle at the spindle side like the line i drew. thats only if i dont pull and stretch the axle to fit all the way.

this is the conflict i am having. this is both axles, of course you know which is which.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:45 AM

Default Re: axle problem, I need help, really confused..

okay, i went to car and reinstalled the broken 2 piece one to demonstrate what i meant. I is easier to show with the broken one because it has less resistance.

As you can see if i install it correctly without pulling the axle towards me it looks like this. No room for the axle nut to go on.

i can pull it towards me to make room for the axle nut to go on. it slides in smoothly.

But the end result is that the tranny end gets over stretched. therefore making the car undrivable. Exact same thing happens to my new axle!

someones gotta know this, i am out of ideas. help me out.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

In the photo they look the same but it is hard to tell. If they are the same did you reassemble the suspension before you installed the axle nut? This means putting the shock back on and the ball joints back in place and bolting them down. I bet If you measure that new shaft it is prob about 1 inch short
Old 06-12-2007, 12:01 PM

Default Re: axle problem, I need help, really confused.. (instructor74)

Go to autozone, take your old axles with you.Tell them what year car you have and ****. Get some new(remanufactured) axles and it will be like $120. Now you will have a lifetime warranty.
Old 06-12-2007, 12:56 PM

Default Re: axle problem, I need help, really confused.. (instructor74)

both new and old one is same length. only difference is appearance as you could see from my pictures. my old one that is in 2 peices seems somewhat too short when reinstalled? it cant reach all the way to the spindle, same problem with the newer one. I havent tried to assemble the suspension before installing the axle nut. I could try it agian tommorrow and see if that works. i remember the last time i change the axle 2 years ago, i didnt have a shortness problem. any ideas as how this could happen all of a sudden? I wonder if i broke anything?

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RedEj8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Go to autozone, take your old axles with you.Tell them what year car you have and ****. Get some new(remanufactured) axles and it will be like $120. Now you will have a lifetime warranty.</TD></TR></TABLE>
about this, i would get it but i am not sure if a new(remanufactured) axle will solve my shortness problem. even my old axle dont seem adequate enough.

why is this happening to me, first my four door dies now my hatch is undrivable... a case of seriously bad luck.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:32 PM

Weird.. Ive never had a problem with axles being too short. Are you sure the engine in your car is the factory motor?
Old 06-12-2007, 10:51 PM
Sol to Sol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: axle problem, I need help, really confused.. (RedEj8)

have you tried to smack the knuckle on the rotor with a rubber mallet?

Cause, if the outside CV (to the inside of the rotor) is not flush, then its not fully in place.

Check that. and if it is, and looks in place, then yes, go to a parts store. They have LIFETIME Warranty axles for around $65-80 or more, and will for sure fit your car. (once you tell em your engine and model year, etc)

Good Luck!
Old 06-12-2007, 10:54 PM

what axles did you get from your freind?....dx and ex are different...
Old 06-13-2007, 04:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (crxhybrid.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crxhybrid. &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">what axles did you get from your freind?....dx and ex are different...</TD></TR></TABLE>

ive used dx and ex axles on my car and both work.

i have a d16z6 with b7 tranny.

i dont think there is any diff in axles on ex and dx
Old 06-13-2007, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92ehatch)

ive had a problem with d-series axles before.. i have always thought most dseries axles were the same, boy was i wrong! i purchased 92-95 for my 90 hatch since i was confident thats what i have been using before.. when i put it on it was to long and would clunk because of it binding..

i would just recommend you take your old axle to orielly's if you have one.. it'll cost in the area of 65 bucks for a new axle with core exhange.. note, both axles that i had looked the exact same size.. once i purchased one for the 90 hatch it was fine
Old 06-13-2007, 06:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (g23_ej1)

it is fine, we put my 98 dx axle on my bro inlaws 91 crx si and it worked fine...don't know what you guys are talking about...but yea...sure
Old 06-13-2007, 06:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ek4_b16a)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by ek4_b16a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">it is fine, we put my 98 dx axle on my bro inlaws 91 crx si and it worked fine...don't know what you guys are talking about...but yea...sure</TD></TR></TABLE>

thats the thing, i thought it would be too and it usually was, but the one that i purchased new was an aftermarket..

and its not fine, because if it was the axle wouldn't pop out of its boot
Old 06-13-2007, 11:54 AM

Default Re: (g23_ej1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by g23_ej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive had a problem with d-series axles before.. i have always thought most dseries axles were the same, boy was i wrong! i purchased 92-95 for my 90 hatch since i was confident thats what i have been using before.. when i put it on it was to long and would clunk because of it binding..

i would just recommend you take your old axle to orielly's if you have one.. it'll cost in the area of 65 bucks for a new axle with core exhange.. note, both axles that i had looked the exact same size.. once i purchased one for the 90 hatch it was fine </TD></TR></TABLE>

well, if you guys are sure a new axle will fix my problem then i am willing to try it. I am not a rich guy. so i am trying not to spend money where not needed. i am not sure which car my friend got this axle from. that might be my problem. I am unable to attempt another install/unistall today, too busy. maybe tomorrow, and i will let you guys know if it solves my problem.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by RedEj8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Weird.. Ive never had a problem with axles being too short. Are you sure the engine in your car is the factory motor?</TD></TR></TABLE>

yes, i still have factory motor. never swapped this car before. everything is stock except for usual bot ons. daily driver.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (SLow-Side)

yea im positive a new axle will fit your problem.. unless yuo have some time, i used to live in washington and i know tha dseries axles are a dime a dozen.. tons of dseries.. go to NWSR and post a wtb there.. unless you just want to fork over the money.. sine you're in WA go to schucks and get an axle for 70 bucks with core exchange and swap it in..
Old 09-05-2007, 02:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: axle problem, I need help, really confused..new pics. (SLow-Side)

any update on this? i think i have the same problem....