Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

AXLE MASTERS!! please look here. Is this seated??

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2006, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AXLE MASTERS!! please look here. Is this seated??

So i finally got my car all together and running. I take it out for its first test drive. I back it down the drive way and into the street, turn the wheel and gas, and CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK CLUNK. WTF?

The drivers side axle has to be seated in the transmission, on account that it bolts in place (intermediate shaft). I peeked under the hood just now, and spotted this.

I could have sworn that i jammed that axle in as far as it could go. Does this look seated to any of you? Would that be the cause of my clunking?

I appreciate any feedback, flaming or not.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:23 PM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1.) give it a little more love to push it in further. If you can see clean metal, it's a safe assumption that you're not in all the way.

2.) for someone who "respects the mind's power," you certainly don't seem to care how powerful yours will seem when someone reads a signature with that many grammatical and spelling errors
Old 12-20-2006, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hahaha you got me there. I believe i'm missing an apostrophe showing that the power belongs to the mind which is over the body. jerk

edit: i believe its fixed? Also, how much clearance should there be between the barrel and the damn transmission?
Old 12-20-2006, 05:25 PM

looks ok to me. you might have broke the axel when you put it in.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (93eg2james)

some times i take a peace of blocking, or a cut 2x4 block. then place it over the end of the axel and then slam it with a hammer.
Old 12-20-2006, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Would this be the reason for the clunking?
Old 12-20-2006, 05:42 PM

a good way to seat the axle is while holding the outer end push in and out like a plunger movement and it should seat it self
if not also take a look at the c-clip at the end of the shaft to see if its not damaged or bent
Old 12-22-2006, 04:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so I pulled the axle out, and completely replaced it with a new one.

ITS STILL DOING IT!!!!!!! I'm so pissed right now. The axle has the same distance gap and I found it was leaking fluid from it.

It only seems to clunk at low speeds, turning either way, but only on the right side. (passenger)
Old 12-22-2006, 04:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (djmatix)

control arm bushing?
Old 12-22-2006, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Turbo_y8)

to get it to go in easier i take a little lithium grease and put it on the end of the axle where the c-clip is to hold the clip from keeping the axle from going in. your clunk might be a wheel bearing going out grab your wheel firmly on the front and back and see if you can rock the side to side it will make a metal to metal sound too.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jdmeg9)

That axle is definately not seated all the way. Like Archidictus said

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Archidictus &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1.) give it a little more love to push it in further. If you can see clean metal, it's a safe assumption that you're not in all the way.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Should look like this:

And I asked if that was fully seated.. haha. Your's is obviously more out. Slide it out then slide it back in quickly. Don't drive it unless it looks like ^^^^!!!
Old 12-24-2006, 08:25 PM

Default Re: (BlackHXCoupe)

Your axle is definately not in all the way! Just take the axle and hold it so it is level (as much as possible) and push it in and out with decent force. You will feel it snap in when it goes all the way... also you shouldn't be able to pull it out by hand if it is in all the way.

Yes it is most likely the reason for the clunking because the axle is basicaly "too long" the way you have it. The same goes for the leaking oil. once you push it in all the way you will be sealed up.

So just give it some good pushes in. Probaly 3-4 good push in and it will snap in place. but make sure the xle is level so you can get a good solid slam..another trick is to use the shaft part of the axle kinda like a ram rod and the weight of that should snap it in place

gl
Old 12-25-2006, 01:40 AM
Contender25

1. duh, it is seated, can't go any farther, it's touching the seal like it's suppose to other wise when you went to drive it would have not driven.

2. Is that a used axle you used that you got for cheap, or did you just expletive it up putting it in, btw i can see you'r shoe mark on the rear crossmember.

3. If the axle is new, or fine for a fact, and it's still clunking, and you did Not mess it up somehow putting it in, then the shaft is not fully inside the boot itself with the bearings and when you put on the axle into the transmission you must of did the, pull and push trick so it popped out.

Thats all i got.
Old 12-27-2006, 07:44 AM

Default Re: AXLE MASTERS!! please look here. Is this seated?? (djmatix)

if youve driven the car like this u may have damaged the axle and/or diff.I made this mistake,and the torque from the engine twisted the splines on the shaft. IT WOULD NOT FIT! wen i tried to force it,it then damaged the splines inside the gearbox ,and then a new axle would not fit either,had to replace the diff gears.nuts.
Old 01-02-2007, 05:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Contender25)

haha yeah thats my shoe print. I was cleaning the engine bay before I dropped the engine in.

Since this has been going on, i've found that...

I have GS-R LCA's in the front.
GS-R Front Sway Bar
Clutch type LSD and didnt even know it. (jdm imported transmission)

The guy I bought the car from did the lca/sway setup. From what i've been told, EG to DC fine, EG and DC to EK NOT GOOD!

So i've got 99-00 SI axles in the mail, and i'm trying to find 99-00 SI lca's.
Old 01-02-2007, 08:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: AXLE MASTERS!! please look here. Is this seated?? (djmatix)

had a similar problem with mine....we replaced the axel and it went away.....the axel was locked for some reason...and it wasn't joined with the intermediat shaft all the way. good luck