Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Auto Trans Civic gear shifter not precise with "clicks"

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2013, 04:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Trans Civic gear shifter not precise with "clicks"

Hey gang - 97 Civic EX. All stock. 214,500 mi. Just the other day, I noticed an issue with the gear selector. Shifting from drive / reverse into park is a little more difficult to do (seems to be harder to place it into park). Not forceful hard...just a bit more resistance than I'm used to. I also noticed shifting from park down to reverse (or drive) that I sometimes have to manually move the gear selector ever so slightly after it "clicks" in order for it to physically engage the transmission. When I go from Park to Reverse, for example, after it's clicked into place, I notice the red-boxed "R" light on the dash doesn't illuminate sometimes until I again move the lever ever so slightly a bit lower. Then the light comes on and it shifts into reverse. And like all issues I've had with this car, it's intermittent. Sometimes when leaving the driveway or pulling away from parking spots, it shifts through the gears with no problem at all.

Other than this issue, I haven't noticed any major differences with the transmission. While driving, it does shift kind of hard, but it's been like that for LONG time now. It isn't a forceful 'jerk' of the car, but it's not as smooth as newer cars either. Kind of in between. But again I chalk this up to being normal for a car with this age. The concern I have only happens with I'm in Park (or when I getting ready to Park).

I've always kept up on fluid changes, and always use genuine Honda tranny fluid. I changed the fluid maybe 3 months ago (and yes, the level is spot on).

Anyone have any ideas what this gear selector issue could be?
Old 06-07-2013, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Auto Trans Civic gear shifter not precise with "clicks"

if u lift your center console up there is a nut on a threaded rod where u can adjust the shifter ... move it until it works correctly...