Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Auto to Manual conversion, Reverse light

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2005, 12:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto to Manual conversion, Reverse light

Hi there,

I recently bought my first Civic. It is a DX Hatch and so far it's been great. My only problem is that the reverse lights are not working. I checked the fuse in the driver-side fuse box, and it is still good. The swap was not done by me. Is there some sort of sensor that I have to have so that the reverse lights will come on? Please let me know and what parts are required, thanks.
Old 07-17-2005, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Someone sent me this message, but I am not able to reply;

there are 2 wires in a connector going to the tranny just run those 2 wires and wire them up in the center wiring plug that the automatic selector was plugged in. Hope that makes sense

Where do I find that wire? Should I look under the hood or near my shifter somewhere?
Old 07-17-2005, 01:14 PM
dAng!

Default Re: (dgmorr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dgmorr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Someone sent me this message, but I am not able to reply;

there are 2 wires in a connector going to the tranny just run those 2 wires and wire them up in the center wiring plug that the automatic selector was plugged in. Hope that makes sense

Where do I find that wire? Should I look under the hood or near my shifter somewhere?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Just follow the wires that should've plugged in the reverse light selector on the tranny. Did your auto have more than one harness going to the tranny? I know the manuals have a single plug apart from the rest to engage the reverse lights.
Old 07-17-2005, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What does the reverse light selector on the tranny look like?

Under the hood, the only wires that I can see going into the tranny are also connected to some sensor in the headers.
Old 07-17-2005, 02:10 PM
dAng!

well there should be a speed sensor, plug with three wires on the upper side closer to the firewall. There should also be another smaller plug closer to the passenger headlight side of the tranny. The one closer to the headlight is the reverse harness.
Old 07-18-2005, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm still not sure which one it is. I'll snap up a pic in a few minutes, maybe someone can point it out.
Old 07-18-2005, 06:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here is a picture of the plug I was talking about. Is this the right one? And if so, how do I hook it up?

Old 07-18-2005, 07:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[off topic] is it just me or is ur air cone rusted, dirty, and tearing a bit at the bottom?[/off topic]

dont you hate it when people do stuff and dont do it correctly, then you buy the car and you have to fix their skrew up
Old 07-19-2005, 05:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone have an answer?

Yeah, I know what you mean about people not doing it right. So far I have only noticed the reverse light, and that fact that I can start the car without clutching.

Help?

I only have 4 more posts for today.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you have to hook up a clutch safety switch for it to only start with the clutch pressed
Old 07-19-2005, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: With my POS D15B2, Whereever whenever, United States
Default Re: (drewthomas14)

damn, and i thought my auto to manual swap was ghetto, your's is worse, in regards to the above, those two wires is the reverse.
You have a big harness and a small harness in the middler of the dash, well you should anyways, and it is pin out 1 and 13 that those two green wires should be wired to i believe
Old 07-19-2005, 09:36 AM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A
Default Re: (MugenHonda)

My factory service manual just shows the wires going to the backup lights, nothing about what clips they run through or anything. All I do know is it is grren all the wa back. I would suggest going to the service department at your local Honda dealer and ask them to allow you to make copies of a few pages of the ETM(Electrical troubleshooting manual) for your car. Most dealers are nice enough to allow the common Joe to do this. Otherwise tell em you work for the local Acura dealer and you just need some quick info on a car you have in service.

Oh duh, the green wire should be somewhere around the shifter area since on the auto it was controlled from the AT gear position selector.. Thats all the help I can provide for now.
Old 07-19-2005, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So what do I connect those green wires to???
Old 07-20-2005, 09:50 AM

The ones from the sensor under hood will connect to the wires you will most likely find in the shifter area as I mentioned since this would be where the signal should come from in the AUTO.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

And those shold be somehow plugged in to the reverse light relay I imagine?
Old 07-20-2005, 11:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, I found a bunch of cut wires in the center console area, no harness. What colour wires do I attatch the Green wires from the tranny to?
Old 07-20-2005, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok, I found the cut ends where the plug used to be. So far I have only been able to make the reverse light stay on. I connected the Green/Blk and Yellow wires together. The lights stay on. What colour am I supposed to connect to what? Please help, I am ALMOST there!

I found this wiring diagram, but I can't figure it out properly. I have traced the Yellow and Green wires. How do I connect them and to what do I connect them? Please help, this is frustrating.

http://www.honda.co.uk/owner/C...7.pdf

Anyone?
Old 07-21-2005, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Come on, someone knows the answer.
Old 07-21-2005, 10:03 AM

If you look at the schematic, the yellow wire goes to the relay. The green wire goes to the green wire that feeds the reverse lights. That should do it..
Old 07-21-2005, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah, I figured that, but I don' t know which wire goes to the relay. Any ideas?
Old 07-21-2005, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: With my POS D15B2, Whereever whenever, United States
Default Re: Auto to Manual conversion, Reverse light (dgmorr)

if you have a ex harness, it should plug and play into the auto harness and match up
Old 07-21-2005, 08:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't have any harnesses. The ends are just cut.

Anyone know what colour hooks up to what?
Old 07-21-2005, 09:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: I put on my robe and wizard hat, NY...err Bay Area--->Texas
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok dude here goes:

It sounds like the previous owner liked his work done poorly. Let me see if I can help you, this is the way I did it.

In the engine bay, locate the back up light swich on the trany. Its at about the centerline of the transmission as you look at it from the front; it should be covered with a black boot, have two wires coming out of it terminating at a 2 pin connector. What I did here was mate this plug with the existing plug for the lock-up torque converter solenoids, they plug right into each other. This way, I didnlt have to run any wires from the engine compartment into the cabin.

I don't exactly remember whar color the wires for the lock up torque converter were but any service manual can tell you. Now, youlre going to find these wires at the ecu plug (make SURE that you have the correct wires) and cut them, as you no longer need the ecu to control a lcktq conv. Splice a some more wire in to extend these two so that they reach the plug at the old auto shifter. You can run them under the carpet.

Now, at the plug where you old AT shifter sat, locate the green/black wires, there should be two of them. Connect these two wires together and then to one of the two wires you previously extended.

The one leftover wire goes to a constant 12v source. I'm sorry, this is where my memory fails me. I forger which color the correct wire is. But again, any service manual ought to tell you. If you have a helms, just compare the a/t and m/t back up light circuit diagrams and you'll know what to do. That's how I figured it out.

Old 07-22-2005, 06:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, that is very detailed. I'll have to get to it later today and try again.

Yes, this wire job was pretty much a hack job. I found what appears to be the parking safety switch just stripped, twisted together and left bare!
Old 07-22-2005, 10:54 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dgmorr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks, that is very detailed. I'll have to get to it later today and try again.

Yes, this wire job was pretty much a hack job. I found what appears to be the parking safety switch just stripped, twisted together and left bare!</TD></TR></TABLE> what a dumb ***!!! At least you know bare wires are no good. I think the vehicle is in better hands now, just take care of her ok??

Quick Reply: Auto to Manual conversion, Reverse light