Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ATTN: 4th Gen Civic Owners

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2001, 07:52 PM
CBR
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATTN: 4th Gen Civic Owners

I just purchased a 88 Civic Dx Hatchback (200,000 miles) for $750.00.
Now I need some parts to get the thing looking better.

Are the fenders and headlights for the 4-door Civics different from those of a hatchback? I need both fenders and both headlights. OR, should I skip out on stock body parts and go with aftermarket ones? Any suggestions?

By the way, anyone think I payed too much $$$?
Old 06-13-2001, 08:05 PM
New User

Default Re: ATTN: 4th Gen Civic Owners (ChurchBoyRacer)

I think the headlights are the same, the tailights totally different. However, there are zillions of 88-91 Civics on the road and even more in the junk yard. Here, I have a URL for you where you can get everything you need for that car for a good price.

http://www.d-a-p.com/
Old 06-13-2001, 08:48 PM
Old Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The headlights are the same as mentioned. The side front fenders and hood look the same for the sedan and HB.

BUT, look at the front grill. You'll see a larger opening on the sedan and none on the HB. I'm not sure if that is the result of the front bumper. Then again, the bumpers look the same too. Therefore I have to say the parts are different. Where the differences are, not really sure. You'll have to look at it side by side. Be careful.
Old 06-14-2001, 07:50 PM
New User

actually, im pretty sure the front lights, hood, and bumper on the four doors are different. I know that the turn signals are. The headlights are a little longer and narrower.
hows the rest of the car? 750 sounds like a good deal to me as long as the rest of the body is solid. dings are to be expected, but as long as theres no structual rust.. A lot of it just depends on what your plans are for the car. If you are thinking about a motor swap and replacing the worn parts with performance items, or even doing the work yourself and replacing worn parts with stock, you got an awesome deal. Paying a mecahnic to do anything on it is gonna kill you, though.
aftermarket body parts are substantially cheaper, but once again, its up to you. Honda sheet metal is kinda thin anyway from the factory, its more of a fit issue, it just depends on what you want to spend and if theres other areas of the car your more concerned with.
Old 06-14-2001, 08:54 PM
CBR
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: ATTN: 4th Gen Civic Owners (JHMeg8)

I'm trying to get this car fixed up for my brother. I told him I'll take care of the body work, but he has to save up and get a better engine if he desires.

I was looking at some aftermarket projector lights for this vehicle on Ebay, but damn...they're expensive (around $250). Is this a good price or does anyone know where I can find a better price? The clear corners are very inexpensive, so I can't complain about this. For now, I can new stock fenders for about $50 each and new headlights for about $80.00 each. I still haven't checked the junk yard yet.

I'd have to agree with you about the stock sheet metal being VERY VERY thin. I pulled off the front bumper, the metal piece above the bumper, the fenders, and the A/C system. Are there any good aftermarket fenders to put on this car other than those BMW Z-3 look alike fenders? If not, I'll just settle for new stock fenders. The metal piece above the front bumper is bit rusty and dinged, but I plan on getting an aftermarket front bumper, should I worry about replacing this piece? Otherwise, the rest of the car is in great shape, just little rust on both rear quarter panel wheel wells. I guess this is a typical rust spot on Hondas. My 96 Prelude VTEC with 40000 miles is showing signs of rust in this area too...gotta "fix" this somehow.

A/C system weighed about 40lbs (not including evaporator) if anyone is curious.

Thanks to those that replied!
Old 06-15-2001, 09:32 AM
New User

I want those projectors too. The only place I found that has them (other than Ebay) is Autodynamic.com and over there, they are $269