Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Assistance Please! Battery/Alternator = Power Loss???

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Assistance Please! Battery/Alternator = Power Loss???

Hello everyone, hoping to find someone who can help me pinpoint the problem... Here is the breakdown of the issue:

My vehicle is a 1995 Honda Civic Coupe Eg Si
Motor: D16z6, no mods other than a short ram intake...so very very stock...

1. While driving my vehicle, quite often the battery light on my car will flicker on and off, or start from dim, and than increase in brightness while i drive. Especially when I am accelerating the battery light will become brightest (> 4000 rpm).
2. I was sitting in the parking lot at the BK Lounge (burger king) and after idling for about 3-5 minutes all of the interior lights (climate control, cluster, and stereo) dimmed and the stereo had shut off until I gave the car some gas to increase the rpms... and than the deck turned back on and things began running fine again but than repeated this twice over with me having to keep the car alive by giving it some gas. I than left the parking lot and coincidently had to drive quite far so this must have given the battery some more life because it hasn't happened since then (a couple nights ago)....

Please help me try and pinpoint the problem...
Are these 2 problems correlated? I haven't experienced the interior light dimming problem before, but the battery light has been flickering for quite some time now... and nothings ever happened. I don't have any aftermarket electronics that might be juicing the system anymore than usual... no amplifier, or anything like that... Thank you very much for your response...

A friend of mine has told me that he thinks the belt on the alternator may be loose from the cold weather? and that I may need to tighten it??

Thanks in advance...
Old 02-18-2007, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Assistance Please! Battery/Alternator = Power Loss??? (alpous)

any experts? i need some advice
Old 02-18-2007, 06:15 PM

Default Re: Assistance Please! Battery/Alternator = Power Loss??? (alpous)

It sounds like your Alternator. You car can run off the battery but only for a short while that is why you see your lights bimm and car shut off (most likely).

I would check the alt belt to make sure its tight, correct me if I am wrong but in the middle of the belt top side (looking down on engine) you want about 1/2" of play.

The even if you tighten it or not for peace of mind I would go to the closest auto parts store like Auto Zone they offer a free diag. And will be able to tell oyu on the spot if your Alt is going or not. They check the entire charging system. Only takes a few mins in the parking lot.

Hope this helps?
Old 02-19-2007, 09:44 PM

Thanks, appreciate the input. I'm going to try tightening the belt and i'll see if that helps out at all.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (alpous)

also make sure the 2 wire that go to the fusebox by the battery are on tight...make sure you tighten up the screws holding the wires...on my car, they were loose so my alternator wasnt chargin my battery....it'll only do it sometimes but not all the time...i tighten up those bolts and car hasnt died ever since..might not be the problem but its a simple check....
Old 02-19-2007, 10:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (B18CivicEg)

make sure your belt is on tight. if it is then its probably a bad alternator
Old 02-20-2007, 02:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (fmrprojects)

its the alternator most likely, but take you battery to pep boys, autozone, etc and have them check the battery for you. If its good, then replace the alternator..
Old 02-20-2007, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mikeycivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mikeycivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">its the alternator most likely, but take you battery to pep boys, autozone, etc and have them check the battery for you. If its good, then replace the alternator..</TD></TR></TABLE>

you can take your alternator off and have them check it out too...