Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Aright, I have a true HID Predicament...

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2004, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aright, I have a true HID Predicament...

It's for my EG Hatch...

I want the look of the HID, bright-*** bulbs. Probably the Blue version. Will I get this look from Halos, which I want to get as well. Can I improve the look of the Halos by adding the HID conversion kit. Little confused on how the whole thing works. Please send info.

I researched this one for quite a while...
Old 10-19-2004, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Aright, I have a true HID Predicament... (Justin_Bradley)

Halos (aka angel eyes) have very little do with light output If you want the look of HIDs, you need HIDs. I've yet to see a halogen bulb that puts off a similar light in either color, or light output.

There is good new for you though. Most of the halo lights are projectors. Most OEM HID bulbs are H1 bulbs that work well in projectors.
Old 10-26-2004, 06:27 AM

Default Re: Aright, I have a true HID Predicament... (Ricey McRicerton)

Will the $2 bulbs off of eBay look the same and work well in projectors? I have read not to use HID bulbs in projectors (guess they get too hot).
Old 10-26-2004, 06:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Justin_Bradley &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Will the $2 bulbs off of eBay look the same and work well in projectors? </TD></TR></TABLE>

They will work, but not look the same. They look like crap, and can reduce light output because of the tinted bulbs. Look into Sylvania Silverstar bulbs if you want a brighter whiter light. No bulb will look like HID.

You can use an HID in a projector, but it won't be as good as OEM HID projectors. If you do a retrofit, just get the projector, bulb and balasts from an OEM equipped car and fit them into your existing headlights. Search for 'The HID thread' in this forum to learn how.

Old 10-26-2004, 08:18 AM

I've got one piece projection lights with dual halos, the halos have an LED at the base that lights them up, the rest is reflectivity. As far as the HID goes, I've used the imitation bulbs and they provide the same amount of light as stock lights, just in a different tint. HID truely emitts more light, that's why it's brighter and better, if the prices ever come down for HID kits, I'll certainly convert, but I'm not gonna waste 200-300 bucks on it.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:41 AM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Aright, I have a true HID Predicament... (Ricey McRicerton)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ricey McRicerton &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Most OEM HID bulbs are H1 bulbs that work well in projectors. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Just a correction, most OEM HID capsules are either D2R or D2S - they aren't classified with halogen designations.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:58 AM

Default So...

So when you buy and HID conversion kit, it comes with special projector headlight housings, as well as the bulbs, sockets, and upgraded wiring? And these housings would be better than a set of one piece Halo headlights off of eBay or something? I guess what I want to know is if I can just substitute the OEM HID housings for the others so that I can have the look of HID as well as dual Halos...
Old 10-29-2004, 07:53 AM
Darth ModerVader

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: So... (Justin_Bradley)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Justin_Bradley &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So when you buy and HID conversion kit, it comes with special projector headlight housings, as well as the bulbs, sockets, and upgraded wiring?</TD></TR></TABLE>

No, most HID conversion kits simply include ballasts (with any necessary wiring) and HID capsules that have been re-based to fit into your current halogen housings.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Justin_Bradley &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And these housings would be better than a set of one piece Halo headlights off of eBay or something?</TD></TR></TABLE>

What you're referring to here is what EX_AutoXer stated about doing a "retrofit". This is different than simply installing an HID kit, and what the retrofit normally involves is purchasing the HID capsules, ballasts, <u>and</u> the OEM HID projector units from a car that originally came equipped with HID's (e.g., Audi, BMW, etc.) and modifying your current housings to install the new HID projectors into them. Doing this should result in a factory-quality beam pattern, which is often substantially better than the pattern you could achieve just by using an HID "kit" in stock halogen housings.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Justin_Bradley &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I guess what I want to know is if I can just substitute the OEM HID housings for the others so that I can have the look of HID as well as dual Halos...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, you can use the Halo housings that you like, but as I stated above, if you use the projectors that come with those housings, the beam pattern isn't going to be ideal, and would be much better if you actually bought a set of HID projectors and swapped them into the Halo housings. Most aftermarket Civic projector housings use H3 bulbs in the projectors, and using HID capsules in H3 housings does not produce a great beam, mainly because the halogen H3 bulbs use a horizontal filament, whereas the arc in HID capsules is oriented vertically.

I think you might be confusing the terms "housing" and "projector", and that's why you're getting a bit mixed-up. The housings are the actual entire headlight unit, such as:

In the above photo, you can see the dark grey-silver circle in the center of the housings. That is the projector. It's the projector itself that you would want to remove from those housings andreplace with a new projector that came from an OEM HID-equipped car. Here is a close-up shot of some HID projectors:

I hope this helped to clear things up a little for you.
Old 10-29-2004, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

READ THIS THREAD

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=683685

yes - all 35 pages...then ask questions