Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Apex'i WS exhaust fitment problems......

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Apex'i WS exhaust fitment problems......

Ok, well, I just got an Apex'i WS catback exhaust today that I ordered from hondadriven (great prices and fast service btw, thank charles). The exhaust is great except for one thing.

The s-pipe (the pipe that goes between the b-pipe and the muffler) is rubbing on a part of my subframe. When I was putting the exhaust on I noticed that it could be mounted two ways. One way it rubbed the heat sheild where the gas tank is, and the other way it rubbed against the part of the subframe where the suspension is bolted in. (I don't know the name of the part of the suspension though).

I tried pulling off the heatshield, but it then rubbed on the gas tank strap. Suck. So basically I just went with the lesser of two evils and it is now fully bolted up and rubbing the subframe. I am gonna head down to the local muffler shop tomorrow and try to maybe get a little extension made to move the s-pipe back a little bit. Hopefully this will work.

Ok, anyways, I was just wondering which way anyone with a WS exhaust mounted the s-pipe. With the longer part of it towards the rear or front of the car.

Sorry if this doesn't make much sense, it has been a long day, so just ask if you have anymore questions.

Cliff Notes : Put on my Apex'i WS catback, s-pipe rubbed the subframe one way, rubbed the gas tank strap the other way. Which way do i mount the s-pipe? How should I have the muffler shop modify it to fit?

Thanks in advance for any advice anyone can give me cause this exhaust rattle is lame as heck.

Oh, and also, I am using the stock d16z6 exhaust manifold, and some test pipe/resonator that I got with the engine, in place of the cat.
Old 11-12-2002, 07:38 PM

Default Re: Apex'i WS exhaust fitment problems...... (buskethead)

It makes perfect sense to me. I had the exact same problem. Whenever I let my RPM come down around 3000, the exhaust would vibrate against the subframe you are referring to.

So, I took it back to the muffler shop who installed it, and told them what the problem was. They ended up losening the back part of the exhaust, then they placed a wooden spacer in between the exhaust pipe and the subframe. With the spacer in place, they went ahead and retightened the system. After it was tightened, they removed the spacer and the exhaust pipe stayed in the same place, just as if the spacer was still there. I took the car for a test drive and NO RATTLE ONCE SO EVER! I was so damn happy. I didn't even bother to go back and tell them that it fixed the problem. I didn't want them to try and scam a few extra bucks from my pocket

At first I thought the rattle was coming from the heatshield, but it wasn't. That is when I jacked the car up and discovered how close the pipe was to the frame.

Who knows why they didn't install the exhaust with the spacers to begin with, but oh well; I can now enjoy the quiet RATTLE FREE sound of the World Sport.

If you have anymore questions, go ahead and drop me an IM.

[Modified by 93SSPHatch, 8:40 PM 11/12/2002]
Old 11-12-2002, 07:47 PM

I had the same problem, sent mine back to apexi, and the sent me a new one with the same problem. I had to get like a 12 piece build right after the cat. Still rattles sometimes tho.
Old 11-12-2002, 08:14 PM

Default Re: Apex'i WS exhaust fitment problems...... (93SSPHatch)

Woot! I am gonna try that spacer thing first thing tomorrow morning, then I think I am gonna shoot down to the drag strip and see if my times are any better Thanks much

Edit : How thick was that spacer that they used? thanks again

[Modified by buskethead, 9:16 PM 11/12/2002]
Old 11-13-2002, 06:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had one on my old hatch, it never vibrated at all.
Old 11-13-2002, 07:08 AM

Default Re: Apex'i WS exhaust fitment problems......

i had the same prob. when i put mine on i put on a high-flow cat at the same time and i ended up having 2 probs. 1. the ws rubbin on the sub frame and the new cat was for some reason a half inch or so shorter than the stock one. just took it to a muffler shop and they rehung it all and poof. like magic its been perfect ever since.
Old 11-13-2002, 08:49 AM

Default Re: Apex'i WS exhaust fitment problems...... (scotty9669)

Well crud. I tried the spacer thing and it pushed it back a little bit, but unfortunately it was only enough to make it rattle more instead of kinda being wedged up against the subframe, heh. So, I am heading down to the muffler shop today to maybe have them weld in an extension into my test pipe, which hopefully will push the exhaust back an inch or so. Why did apex'i have to make it so hard for me
Old 11-13-2002, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i've got that exact saame problem with mine, ovber the year i have just gotten used to hearing an apache helicopter overhead everytime i am at the stoplight

Old 11-13-2002, 09:09 AM

Default Re: Apex'i WS exhaust fitment problems...... (dogpile5)

Yeah, I could probably deal with the rattling for a little bit, but I am just worried that it is going to wear a hole through my exhaust piping (and it is just really freaking annoying too)
Old 11-13-2002, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

some test pipe/resonator that I got with the engine, in place of the cat.
that is your problem.

make a new test pipe that is the correct lenth and you should be straight.
Old 11-14-2002, 01:12 AM

Default Re: Apex'i WS exhaust fitment problems...... (Doctor CorteZ)

Well, I went down to the muffler shop today and they lengthened my test pipe a bit and now everything lines up fine. No more rattling or rubbing. It sounds great now, very quiet (for an aftermarket exhaust) and not raspy at all, nice and mellow.
Old 11-14-2002, 04:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well, I went down to the muffler shop today and they lengthened my test pipe a bit and now everything lines up fine.
told ya.
Old 11-14-2002, 10:49 AM

Default Re: Apex'i WS exhaust fitment problems...... (Doctor CorteZ)

hehe