Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

APC BILLET Short Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2005, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APC BILLET Short Shifter

I did a search and have been researching this short throw shifter. Part number is 604600P and its made by APC. Now I know in the past APC produced a shifter that cost around 15-20 bucks and it was **** and they always used to break. This one however I purchased at O'Reilly's auto parts and it was close to $60 dollars. I have to say the quality of the shifter looks really nice. I'm not a fan of APC at all and I hate to say it but I usually dog on people that own APC products (usually wings, stickers etc.) I'm curious if anyone knows of someone that owns this new style shifter or heard anything good, bad about it. I haven't installed it yet so I wanted to see what H-T thinks. I'm sure 50% of those who respond will dog because its an APC product and I can't say I wouldn't do the same, so if you aren't sure about this new shifter product please don't give a negative comment just because its made by APC. Looking for input from people with experience with this new product. Its a T6 BILLET Aluminum shifter like other high quality shifters and is CNC machined. Please comment as I am curious. I can still take it back. But if its a good shifter I'd really like to try it out. Also comes with a 90 day in store warranty and 2 year manufacturer warranty.

-Chris
Old 01-15-2005, 10:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: APC BILLET Short Shifter (SirRevvs)

apc what a piece of junk! j/k hah

but for $60 i would have went with a b&m which is only $50 by me and i love it
Old 01-15-2005, 10:45 AM

i believe the only decent thing APC made was the headlight bulbs. i would say get your money back and buy a skunk2 or something like that if you insist on having a short throw shifter.

i would very carefully and slowly read through this link
trust me short shifters arent worth the problems they create

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1114247
Old 01-15-2005, 10:46 AM

There was a post about APC short shifters on another forum somewhere. From what I understood from them is that they work fine, just dont expect to do any hard throws.

Some of them have these shifters and never had problems.

But personally im still a little wearing on buyin something from them.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:49 AM

Default Re: APC BILLET Short Shifter (civicnation425)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civicnation425 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">There was a post about APC short shifters on another forum somewhere.</TD></TR></TABLE>

no it was right here the link i already posted from like 2 days ago

my bad i didnt know there was another smacks self in head

Modified by civictildeath at 3:01 PM 1/15/2005
Old 01-15-2005, 10:59 AM

Default Re: APC BILLET Short Shifter (civictildeath)

it was from a completely different forum. I read that one too. But both are well noted tho, even tho they are the same results.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: APC BILLET Short Shifter (civictildeath)

This shifter is heavy, and is high quality IMO. I'm really hating myself for buying an APC product but with the warranty it comes with, and I do appreciate all the opinions, I think I'm gonna be a Guinny Pig on this one so I'll let you guys know how it works out. ANd yeah a B&M may be a little cheaper but I've personally seen one break before. and if I ordered one I'd pay shipping and it wouldn't be $50 anyway. ANd if I went to a perf shop here in Austin I think they go from $65-$70 bucks. Oh well if I break it there's like 5 O'reillys here in Austin. I'll take one for the team this time.

I'm still open for opinions anyhow.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:11 AM

not really going to go with a short shifter, but it would be nice to know my options if i do head that way. so keep me posted.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i m goin to stick with my b&m it is a nic shifter and it was cheaper than that 60 dollar apc one...sry i just trust b&m more
Old 01-15-2005, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (CivicEX13)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CivicEX13 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i m goin to stick with my b&m it is a nic shifter and it was cheaper than that 60 dollar apc one...sry i just trust b&m more</TD></TR></TABLE>

I can totally understand that, they have a good track record for making high quality shifters for many years.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:35 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dude i have an apc short shifter, but if i was gonna pay 60 bucks i would have gotten a b&m casue instead of a 2 year warranty, the b&m have a lifetime warranty
Old 01-15-2005, 12:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: APC BILLET Short Shifter (zoomzoom92)

Really? I didn't know that, too late now. I'm at work all day until 9:30 and I'm going to the car meet at 10 so I gave my car to my buddy Zack to put the shifter on while I'm at work. If I would have known that then it would change everything. Oh well I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope the American Piece of Crap doesn't break.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Update: So my friend installed the shifter for me cause I had to work a 12 hour day . And he installed it backwards but I jacked up my car and turned it around no problem (he's not an idiot, its a common mistake for anyone in a rush putting a shifter in, I've done it before myself).

So I just wanna say that I drove around with the shifter all night last night and I really like it. The guy Zack who installed mine has a B&M in his EG and I really prefer the throw of this shifter over his . Its the one APC product I'd reccomend buying. Throws are short and precise. Bearings are nice and tight. And it comes with metal bushings that took nearly "ALL" of the play out of the shifter while its in gear. I'm really impressed with this piece other than I wouldn't mind having the lifetime warranty with it as well (we'll see how l long it lasts, although it's fairly heavy duty). Maybe just because its new, even though I'm not sure how much a shifter can actually "wear out", it works flawlessly. ANyway I'm not trying to promote the product or in anyway the company. But when I start a thread like this about a product that may be new to some people I like to conclude with my experience with the product, etc. I'll bump the thread if I encounter any problems with this item.

-Chris