Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Anyone Put Aftermarket Rods in a D16 without pulling the engine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 11:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Put Aftermarket Rods in a D16 without pulling the engine?

Curious if the notching has been done? I don't see why it wouldnt be possible if you got a mean file!!!!
Old 05-14-2004, 11:46 AM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: Anyone Put Aftermarket Rods in a D16 without pulling the engine? (warwagon)

You take off the head and then take out the oil pan...soccaian didn't pull his engine when he put new pistons and rods in
Old 05-14-2004, 02:42 PM

Default Re: Anyone Put Aftermarket Rods in a D16 without pulling the engine? (BauleyCivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BauleyCivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">You take off the head and then take out the oil pan...soccaian didn't pull his engine when he put new pistons and rods in</TD></TR></TABLE>

cool i wonder what he used to file away the block for the rods so it wouldnt send shrapnel all over the place!!!!
Old 05-14-2004, 03:08 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Re: Anyone Put Aftermarket Rods in a D16 without pulling the engine? (warwagon)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by warwagon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

cool i wonder what he used to file away the block for the rods so it wouldnt send shrapnel all over the place!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually you pull the head off, push the pistons through the top of the block, remove the crank, etc. and when you file just remember to wash the block out very well then spray it with WD40 so as not to rust. It only takes literally hours for the cylinders to rust if left exposed after cleaning them with soapy water.

Personally I'd pull the entire engine, dissassemble it, have the block bored an honed, etc. and then reassemble it and reinstall it.
Old 05-14-2004, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Anyone Put Aftermarket Rods in a D16 without pulling the engine? (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Actually you pull the head off, push the pistons through the top of the block, remove the crank, etc. and when you file just remember to wash the block out very well then spray it with WD40 so as not to rust. It only takes literally hours for the cylinders to rust if left exposed after cleaning them with soapy water.

Personally I'd pull the entire engine, dissassemble it, have the block bored an honed, etc. and then reassemble it and reinstall it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

exactly. It's going to be much easier for you to notch it with the block out. Plus it will be easier for you to check bearing clearances on the crank journals. It's also alot easier to disassemble the block while it is out of the car. If you try to notch it with the block in the car, you're going to be working in an awkward position.

Just take the time to do it right. Check over all your clearances and measure everything.

Old 05-14-2004, 03:22 PM

Default Re: Anyone Put Aftermarket Rods in a D16 without pulling the engine? (B18C5-EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18C5-EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Personally I'd pull the entire engine, dissassemble it, have the block bored an honed, etc. and then reassemble it and reinstall it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you cant exactly pull the crank out when the motor is still in the car, unless you pull the tranny off!!!! the block only has 50000 miles on it so it is fine, when i built my integra the damn thing had 200000 miles on it and the cylinders were flawless, i had it sleeved anyway!!!! regardless i think i may try it in the car just out of curiosity, a good light is all a guy would need, working on my back isnt that hard!!!! and yes i would plastigauge!!!!
Old 05-14-2004, 03:49 PM
Former Moderator

Received 54 Likes on 29 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by warwagon &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

you cant exactly pull the crank out when the motor is still in the car, unless you pull the tranny off!!!!</TD></TR></TABLE>

Correct.

I knew that already.

Old 05-14-2004, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I agree. Working underneath the car like that would be more of a PITA than it's really worth anyways. Pull the engine.