Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Anyone have experience removing the rear seats and replacing it with plywood?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 04:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone have experience removing the rear seats and replacing it with plywood?

I doubt the title made complete sense. I'm finally getting my 93 si running again and need to find a way to comfortably transport my Great Dane. He just barely fits in the back seat by himself at 8 months so he's still got a bit of growing to do. I'm wondering if anyone has yanked the back seats out and basically just made a large trunk?

The plan is to take the seats, rear carpet, and possibly the cover for the back out. Then replacing it with two pieces of carpeted ply wood that would almost touch the back of the front seats. Hoping for tips or maybe pictures that someone might have to guide me into not wasting a weekend.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Re: Anyone have experience removing the rear seats and replacing it with plywood?

I think you'd have better luck with getting a big roll of carpet and adhesiving it down that way, lighter then plywood also.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone have experience removing the rear seats and replacing it with plywood?

Originally Posted by B_Swapped93
I think you'd have better luck with getting a big roll of carpet and adhesiving it down that way, lighter then plywood also.
That was my first thought and I may be mistaken but isn't the fuel pump under the seat? If it was I wanted to make sure he was going to be sitting right on it.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes fuel pump is under rear seat but has a cover over it
Old 03-17-2014, 04:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

built plywood covers for several different vehicles, but elevated, & then covered with pleated material, it was a way to hide Nitros bottles. people would look in & see a rear seat, & empty trunk. I dont think they make chain drive opening valves for nitros bottles anymore? lol.

anyway you could also build a cut out in foam to clear the pump area? then cover it with material?
Old 03-17-2014, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by shovelhead_chop
built plywood covers for several different vehicles, but elevated, & then covered with pleated material, it was a way to hide Nitros bottles. people would look in & see a rear seat, & empty trunk. I dont think they make chain drive opening valves for nitros bottles anymore? lol.

anyway you could also build a cut out in foam to clear the pump area? then cover it with material?
That's a fantastic idea, foam had never crossed my mind. I'm hoping the weather is clear over the weekend so I can pull some stuff apart and get a good look at it before fully committing.
Old 03-17-2014, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

there's 2 cover for the pump also the tank is down a few inches from the top cover I've even stood on mine.

Last edited by B_Swapped93; 03-17-2014 at 05:01 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-17-2014, 04:55 PM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shovelhead_chop

they still make remote bottle valves. Summit carries all that stuff
Old 03-17-2014, 06:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lostforawhile
they still make remote bottle valves. Summit carries all that stuff
I have seen the solenoid type valves remote type, but what I am refering to was you take off the hand **** & replace it with a sprocket, & you had electric motor open & close it. it was 80's stuff, very old school. like seeing chain driven superchargers. lol.

the seats I made were in a couple different cars, the most fun was a 4 door 73 Nova, no one suspected it, but also did a mustang, as well as a few other muscle cars.