Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Anyone have axle related problems with their car being too low?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 03:37 PM
HT Order of Merit

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Anyone have axle related problems with their car being too low?

Ok here's the deal. I have a 1995 Civic Coupe. The motor is a B18C5 with the LSD ITR transmission. The car is sitting low on Ground Control's and KYB AGX shocks. I go through axles like crazy. Constantly. Now is it because of the car being so low? Because It has been this low for three years and this seems to be getting worse... and there are others on this board that are just as low, if not lower than me. I just got some Drive Shaft shop axles that I REALLY don't want to destroy, so give me some insight people!

Oh, and I was told that LSD transmissions may make a difference in axle choice? I looked online and the OEM part number for ITR axles is different than OEM axles of the same year...
Old 12-12-2005, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Anyone have axle related problems with their car being too low? (JDM_Ej)

Being too low could indeed fry the CV joints, I've seen it happen on a lot of lowered FWD vehicles.

Also, I dont know if the Integra Type R axles are the same as a regular Integra, the Type R had a 5-lug hub, the difference might be in spline count.
Old 12-12-2005, 03:59 PM
HT Order of Merit

Default Re: Anyone have axle related problems with their car being too low? (anony95ex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by anony95ex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Being too low could indeed fry the CV joints, I've seen it happen on a lot of lowered FWD vehicles.

Also, I dont know if the Integra Type R axles are the same as a regular Integra, the Type R had a 5-lug hub, the difference might be in spline count.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The slide in fine. USDM ITR's use a 32mm hub and the JDM ITR's use 36mm, so I don't think this is an issue...
Old 12-12-2005, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm pretty low and I don't go through axles that much. I've actually only had my one and only pair of axles.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Anyone have axle related problems with their car being too low? (JDM_Ej)

im lowered 3" with no finger gap... torn on all 4 boots? yes.
Old 12-12-2005, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i believe it might affect the axles. i used to have a slammed 94 hb and my axles went out after 3 months with no harsh driving..
Old 12-12-2005, 08:21 PM

Default Re: Anyone have axle related problems with their car being too low? (eknorcal)

I had my 95 lowered almost tucking the front tires alittle and with about a half-finger clearance in the back, and just yesterday I noticed the two outer boots are rubbing really bad so I raised it up to 1 finger in the front and 1.5 in the back. I hope it was enough.

Are you actually breaking joints or are you just tearing the **** out of your boots?
Old 12-12-2005, 08:22 PM

Default Re: Anyone have axle related problems with their car being too low? (anony95ex)

none here
Old 12-12-2005, 08:31 PM
HT Order of Merit

Default Re: Anyone have axle related problems with their car being too low? (tallyturbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by stankin95CX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I had my 95 lowered almost tucking the front tires alittle and with about a half-finger clearance in the back, and just yesterday I noticed the two outer boots are rubbing really bad so I raised it up to 1 finger in the front and 1.5 in the back. I hope it was enough.

Are you actually breaking joints or are you just tearing the **** out of your boots?</TD></TR></TABLE>

They're breaking. Occassional torn boots, but not severely, just little slits almost... Even with these new axles in, I can feel vibration, pulsating that I know is the axles. Im putting back the old ones tomorrow until i figure this out.
Old 12-12-2005, 09:02 PM
HT Order of Merit

Someone said remove the dust sheilds? I like my wheel bearings. Don't really want to remove the dust sheilds...
Old 12-12-2005, 10:36 PM
H-T Poker champion

Mine is lowered 2+ inches (neuspeed race springs on KYB adjustable shocks), and I have gone through 5 axles in 4 years.. Maybe it is cuz my car is too low..
Old 12-13-2005, 06:52 AM
HT Order of Merit

Default Re: Anyone have axle related problems with their car being too low? (Hatchy-Ownzjo0)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hatchy-Ownzjo0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Mine is lowered 2+ inches (neuspeed race springs on KYB adjustable shocks), and I have gone through 5 axles in 4 years.. Maybe it is cuz my car is too low..</TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok so maybe it isn't just me.
Old 12-13-2005, 07:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Here's a pic of me and my friend. He's way lower than I am and hasn't gone through axles.

Old 12-13-2005, 07:54 AM
HT Order of Merit

Default Re: Anyone have axle related problems with their car being too low? (duggy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by duggy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Here's a pic of me and my friend. He's way lower than I am and hasn't gone through axles.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yea im not that low, but its close... what engine does he have in it, and what axles does he use?
Old 12-13-2005, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

so the hole axle breaking thing is just a b-series thing ?...
just asking becuase i have a d-series and my steelies are tucked under my fenders been riding like that for a year and half and havent torn a boot ................yet
Old 12-13-2005, 09:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Re: Anyone have axle related problems with their car being too low? (Hatchy-Ownzjo0)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hatchy-Ownzjo0 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Mine is lowered 2+ inches (neuspeed race springs on KYB adjustable shocks), and I have gone through 5 axles in 4 years.. Maybe it is cuz my car is too low..</TD></TR></TABLE>
I have the same springs on my EG, ran them for 2 years on a D-series, and now 3 years (50k miles) on my B-series. stock axles with 0 problems.

Honda axles or after market rebulids? do you launch hard and often? hitting pot holes regularly? stock engine/tranny mounts?
all those things matter.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:45 AM
H-T Poker champion

Default Re: Anyone have axle related problems with their car being too low? (Relic1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Relic1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have the same springs on my EG, ran them for 2 years on a D-series, and now 3 years (50k miles) on my B-series. stock axles with 0 problems.

Honda axles or after market rebulids? do you launch hard and often? hitting pot holes regularly? stock engine/tranny mounts?
all those things matter.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I've had my GSR swap in there for about 4 years now. Right before I did the swap I replaced both axles with aftermarket stage 1 axles (I replaced both when only 1 axle went bad). So that is 2 right there. I then slammed into a curb the following winter (destroying one of my practicaly brand new axles), replaced that axle with a remanufactured axle. That axle went bad after a month or 2 (simply a bad rebuild), replaced that one with a new remanufactured (lifetime warrenty for the win!) and I think my axles are still going strong now.

The funny thing is, when I took my stage1 aftermarket axle in as the core, I ended up getting it back as my second rebuilt axle. Gotta love that!

Oh, and I also have gone to the track a good 5 - 10 times, hit pot holes on a regular basis (******* Columbus roads), and I have the stock mounts all around (130 - 160k miles on them).
Old 12-13-2005, 03:08 PM

well ive been running my eg with a b16 swap for almost 4 years and i have only had to replace one axle and that was bc i was driving on the highway and hit a racoon and it nailed my cv joint pretty good. then it started to vibrate and pulse. replaced it with a new one and have had no problems since then i and sit pretty low.
Old 12-13-2005, 09:40 PM
HT Order of Merit

Default Re: Anyone have axle related problems with their car being too low? (civicliveit)

Well I guess we'll see what happens when I change the springs.
Old 12-14-2005, 08:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The blue one has a B20 with ITR w/ LSD.

My red one has a GSR
Old 12-14-2005, 09:29 AM

Cars lowered to far will be more stressful on axels/cv's/and every aspect of suspension period!