Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Is anyone else's screen losing objects???

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2002, 04:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Why so you can pretend like youre interested, FL/OK
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is anyone else's screen losing objects???

I have no avatars showing up, I have huge gaps in between smiley face's, I am basically losing images every few or so posts. I am on three different forums right now, could my computer suck that much that I am at a loss for memory?

I don't even have a post button right now, I just know it's next to the help button so I click that empty space and go from there...looks like I won't be quoting anyone for the remainder of the day either.
Old 09-22-2002, 04:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is anyone else's screen losing objects??? (SHAUNTS99)

it happens.....get used to it
Old 09-22-2002, 04:16 AM
HT White Ops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Imagestation is down...

IMPORTANT NOTICE FROM IMAGESTATION

Sony ImageStation is currently unavailable for use.
The site downtime is only temporary
and is part of our ongoing efforts to improve the
ImageStation service for your better enjoyment.

We apologize for any inconvenience
this may cause you.

Thank you for your continued support,

The ImageStation Team
Old 09-22-2002, 04:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is anyone else's screen losing objects??? (FifthGearOnline.com)

no complaints here, I am just making sure it's nothing else I need to worry about on this computer...I can remember what was where so I am cool
Old 09-22-2002, 08:24 AM

Aside from that happening...Many of my images are not coming up period. It's very hard for me to browse web pages.
Old 09-22-2002, 10:26 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you have cable or dsl, powercycle your modem.
Old 09-22-2002, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is anyone else's screen losing objects??? (tonyxcom)

what is powercycling?
Old 09-22-2002, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is anyone else's screen losing objects??? (hydroflip)

powercycling your modem isnt going to do anything. all powercycling is, is turning off then on again.. But all that will do is either reload the config or get dhcp information from your isp.

If you can get some **** but not other ****, then, there is either a problem with your computer or, a backbone somewhere in the network.

I would suggest clearing your cache and temporary internet files! (especially if you use Netscape)

Old 09-22-2002, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is anyone else's screen losing objects??? (Steve Berman)

thanks man...also try reformatting
Old 09-22-2002, 04:09 PM

Default Re: Is anyone else's screen losing objects??? (Steve Berman)

powercycling your modem isnt going to do anything. all powercycling is, is turning off then on again.. But all that will do is either reload the config or get dhcp information from your isp.

If you can get some **** but not other ****, then, there is either a problem with your computer or, a backbone somewhere in the network.

I would suggest clearing your cache and temporary internet files! (especially if you use Netscape)
Sorry, but you have no idea what you are talking about. I have the exact problem as described above. After so many days, images load very slow or not at all. All I do is powercycle (turn off, then back on) the modem and ALL IS WELL.

But thanks for wrong information.
Old 09-22-2002, 04:56 PM

got this new monitor and it rocks..looks just like a tv screen 17in samsung like 20 pitch dot...i lose things on the screen too cuz ive got the fonts size so big..im half blind and have to scroll to read every message
Old 09-23-2002, 12:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If everyone is going to talk about powercycling, at least explain the correct steps in doing it

1)unplug all wires from the modem

2)turn off the computer

3)turn back on

I didn't skip a step, if you didn't plug the wires back in after turning it off then you're just...
Old 09-23-2002, 12:48 AM

The whole idea is to isolate the problem. if you power cycle everything, then if the problem is resolved, then you don't know what the problem really was.

You don't need to unplug the wires from the modem when powercycling it. In fact, you want to keep the power cord plugged in (assuming your modem has a switch) so that you can discharge any static that your modem may have built up.

I have been working in the DSL industry for the past 3 years. So I am very familiar with these types of problems. When my webpages stop loading graphics, all I do is powercycle my modem. Works like a charm everytime. You can also just disconnect and reconnect your PPPOE client, either in your router, or the software running on your computer. This will give you a new IP address which fixes the problem.
Old 09-23-2002, 01:11 AM
HT White Ops

Sorry for being a dweeb but, technically speaking, they are not modems. They are broadband ethernet bridges. The term 'modem' is just a holdover from the analog modulation/demodulation era
Old 09-23-2002, 01:19 AM

Default Re: Is anyone else's screen losing objects??? (BlackDeuceCoupe)

Sorry for being a dweeb but, technically speaking, they are not modems. They are broadband ethernet bridges. The term 'modem' is just a holdover from the analog modulation/demodulation era
I know, but if we said bridge, then nobody would know what the hell we were talking about.
Old 09-23-2002, 01:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I know, but if we said bridge, then nobody would know what the hell we were talking about.
Not really so, why everyone wants to try to be so difficult and overwrought (ironic isn't it? Why didn't I just say complicated because everyone wants to sound smart, K.I.S.S. point made) is beyond me. If it was meant to be called a bridge then why is it called a modem because that is what it is named, it acts a bridge, same thing.

edit: forgot to quote and didn't feel like deleting

Sorry man, but you are only proving the theory experience (your 3 years) brings arrogance because your statement was completely insulting.

[Modified by SHAUNTS99, 5:47 AM 9/23/2002]
Old 09-23-2002, 02:40 AM
HT White Ops

...If it was meant to be called a bridge then why is it called a modem because that is what it is named, it acts a bridge, same thing...
Whatever! It isn't the same thing, but it really doesn't matter. A 'bridge' bridges a WAN to an ethernet card. So, your ethernet card is actually more of a 'modem' than your DSL/Cable bridge - and you don't call your ethernet card a 'modem' do you?

My Cisco works independently of the computers on my LAN. It'll run fine all by itself, even with the rest of my system shut down. As long as it's plugged into a telephone jack and the power is on, it's connected to the WAN. All Tony was saying is, restarting your computer[s] will have no effect on your connection to the Internet, as it would with a 'modem.' The 'bridge' needs to be rebooted as well.

Anyway, that was kind of cold, bro! Tony is one of the good guys here. He was right and you were wrong. He put out his hand to help you, and you **** in his fist.
Old 09-23-2002, 07:52 AM

Not really so, why everyone wants to try to be so difficult and overwrought (ironic isn't it? Why didn't I just say complicated because everyone wants to sound smart, K.I.S.S. point made) is beyond me. If it was meant to be called a bridge then why is it called a modem because that is what it is named, it acts a bridge, same thing.

edit: forgot to quote and didn't feel like deleting

Sorry man, but you are only proving the theory experience (your 3 years) brings arrogance because your statement was completely insulting.

[Modified by SHAUNTS99, 5:47 AM 9/23/2002]
I dont understand half of what you said here....

But they ARE NOT MODEMS. They are called modems because that is the easiest way for the NORMAL COMSUMER to understand what its purpose is.

They are IN FACT bridges. And the reason they call them modems....is perfectly illustrated by the fact that EVEN YOU think it is a modem. And I bet if I told you to powercycle your bridge you would have been like "WTF". Just like how you thought the correct way to powercycle your "modem" was to disconnect ALL the cables from it.

And BDC (blackduececoupe) was right. I was only trying to help you here. Oh well.

Tony, who is going to wash his hands.
Old 09-23-2002, 01:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Is anyone else's screen losing objects??? (BlackDeuceCoupe)

Anyway, that was kind of cold, bro! Tony is one of the good guys here. He was right and you were wrong. He put out his hand to help you, and you **** in his fist.
I didn't state whether he was a good or bad person, I just stated what he said was insulting when I am sure quite a few people know what a bridge is

And I bet if I told you to powercycle your bridge you would have been like "WTF". Just like how you thought the correct way to powercycle your "modem" was to disconnect ALL the cables from it.
Then in your assumption you would have been wrong

And BDC (blackduececoupe) was right. I was only trying to help you here. Oh well.

Tony, who is going to wash his hands.
No, it didn't sound much like you were trying to help out, you were trying to talk down to people because you knew what the answer was, just as a doctor does at times to his patients when he picks out textbook terms that the everyday person isn't going to know. I understand if you were trying to help, you just didn't do a great job relating it, nor did you both credit anyone with the benefit of the doubt
Old 09-23-2002, 01:28 PM

Still do not understand where you are coming from. you claim to be offended, but you still incorrectly call a DSL Bridge a modem, when it IS NOT A MODEM in any form, since it does not do any modulation or demodulation of ANALOG signals.

So face it, you are offended because you think modems and bridges are the same thing, and I am telling you they aren't.

You may happen to know what a bridge is, but most people do not. Everyone refers to them as modems, because it is an accepted term. Just like people call all bandages Band-Aid's and people call all tissues Kleenex.

And you have no reason to jump down my back. You needed help with a problem, so I offered a suggestion (powercycling your modem), then informed you that it isn't necessary to umlpug ALL cables from your modem, but if you "know" all this stuff to be "offended" then why did you need help then?
Old 09-23-2002, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Powercycling wasn't said to be my problem, blackdeuce answered my question. I wanted to know whether or not this was normal and if anyone else's pages on Honda-tech were not operating properly, when he stated it was an imagestation problem.

Someone stated powercycling as a solution to someone else's problem, a powercycling was then explained by another and steps given by another. In no way I am jumping down your back, I am in the wrong just as much as you for stating that people have no idea that a bridge is called a modem.

EDIT: and my reasoning for taking all the plugs out of the modem is so that there is no signal or power going to the modem.

[Modified by SHAUNTS99, 6:54 PM 9/23/2002]