Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

92 CIvic Hatchback Steering wheel removal(NEED HELP!!!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2002, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 CIvic Hatchback Steering wheel removal(NEED HELP!!!)

I have gutted my car out completely minus the dashboard and steering wheel. How do you take the steering wheel out with keeping hte airbag.

LEt me know.
Old 09-22-2002, 05:20 PM

Default Re: 92 CIvic Hatchback Steering wheel removal(NEED HELP!!!) (Civicdrgrcr)

I have gutted my car out completely minus the dashboard and steering wheel. How do you take the steering wheel out with keeping hte airbag.

LEt me know.
Get the helms manual, and go through the "airbag removal" section. It isn't that hard.

Shawn
Old 09-22-2002, 07:53 PM

Default Re: 92 CIvic Hatchback Steering wheel removal(NEED HELP!!!) (shawnhayes)

Not trying to buy one.
Old 09-22-2002, 08:10 PM

Default Re: 92 CIvic Hatchback Steering wheel removal(NEED HELP!!!) (Civicdrgrcr)

take out the little covers on each side of the steering wheel, a small on on the left and the one that covers the cruise control. then you take out the cover on the bottom of steering wheel. when you take that out disconnect the yellow plug for the airbag. then all you need is a 19mm socket and you almost done.

Just did this this afternoon
Old 09-22-2002, 08:53 PM

Default Re: 92 CIvic Hatchback Steering wheel removal(NEED HELP!!!) (Astig00)

I saw one little cover right behind the steering wheel and one to the driver side of the steering wheel. I know theres a bolt behind the steering wheel. But can't figure out how to get it out. I unplugged all the stuff already. I've taken them out non-air bag steering wheels before.
Old 09-23-2002, 03:03 PM

after u unplug everything and jumper the airbag so it wont go off accidentally, look on the left and right where those little plastic covers are. if u have cruise control buttons on the steering wheel, u have to take off the cruise control buttons. one u have the left and right plastic pieces off, look inside and u will see two torx screws. u can find them at most hardware stores. i forget the exact size tho. take out the torx screws to allow you to seperate the airbag unit from the wheel. now you have access to the nut holding down the wheel. if you have a lug wrench with multiple sizes (the ones shaped like a "t") one of the sizes may fit. this is what i used and i found it much easier than using the ratchet or wrench. once the nut is all the way off u can pull/slide the wheel off the splines towards u. make sure the wheels and steering wheel and lined up straight before u remove the wheel to make it easier for you when u put the wheel back on. good luck

-alan