Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

any one a rear disk conversion expert? 93 del sol

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 04:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 any one a rear disk conversion expert? 93 del sol

so i got a 93 del sol s with drum breaks. i also a complete (wrecked) 95 del sol si with rear disks to steal parts off too. now heres my questions..do i really have to swap the whole trailing arms or can i just swap the spindle part and be done with it? the trailing arms look like twins if you ask me only ones pretty disk and the other...is a drum. one more thing (i found mixed opinions on this) can i still keep my stock master cylinder and booster or do i have to absolutly have the si's for it to work perfect? all help appreciated!
Old 04-02-2010, 05:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: any one a rear disk conversion expert? 93 del sol

No, the trailings bolt up different. You must swap them. Although You should be fine with the current brake booster and master cylinder.
Old 04-02-2010, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by zombieD
so i got a 93 del sol s with drum breaks. i also a complete (wrecked) 95 del sol si with rear disks to steal parts off too. now heres my questions..do i really have to swap the whole trailing arms or can i just swap the spindle part and be done with it? the trailing arms look like twins if you ask me only ones pretty disk and the other...is a drum. one more thing (i found mixed opinions on this) can i still keep my stock master cylinder and booster or do i have to absolutly have the si's for it to work perfect? all help appreciated!
Did the same thing in my sol about 4 years ago, and doing it to my eg hatch this month sometime.

The WHOLE trailing arm assembly needs to be swapped (e-brake cables and all)...
Shouldn't be too hard really. As long as you have lots of PB Blaster (or any penetrant), a breaker bar, maybe a couple extra bolts in case any break, and a good dead blow hammer you should be fine. I believe you will need a deep-well socket for the middle bolts that fasten to the frame from the main bushing. Its actually a lot easier to do it this way just because you wont have to deal with disassembling all of the spindle and getting those wretched torx bolts out of each trailing arm (although I actually DON'T think the bolt holes are disc/drum specific like 95soul said).

As for the booster and master cylinder...
They should both be fine.

I haven't seen you say anything about the proportioning valve, but that on the other hand might need changed to a 40/40. The one from the drum setup WILL work (had it on my sol for a little bit), but it won't be giving you the FULL stopping experience from the disc brakes that you want. I THINK it makes it easier for the rears to lock up since drums need more pressure applied to them than discs.

Hope this was of some help.

Last edited by vtecpoweredsol; 04-08-2010 at 03:45 AM.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright cool sweet deal! thanks for the info, if all goes well i should be able to have rear disks by the end of next week as soon as i can get some arp studs installed and get around to swaping everything in.
Old 04-08-2010, 09:38 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

no you do know need the swap the whole trailing arm there all the same , but if you try to remove the spindle you need some special tools, but it is much easier to swap the whole arm
Old 04-08-2010, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

really easy to do, as far as i know the trailing arms are the same. the only thing i would definitely recommend doing is changing out the proportioning valve. otherwise you don't get the proper alotment of brake fluid front to back.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

hey guys!! I dont have a Del sol but a 97 Civic EJ9, i want to do a rear disk conversion, stealing the rear assembly from a 95 Ferio does anyone know if it would work?