Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Another write up on auto conversion/b-series swap parts info

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 10:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another write up on auto to manual conversion/b-series swap parts info

Ok so after having a agrivating time of doing this swap for the first time and not haveing detailed info, and people leaving out small bolts here and there that are needed i figured id do alitle write up while its fresh in the head on what all i needed for this swap.i will edit it later to clean it up and possibly add pictures and little things i missed. aka boring day at work. yeah and ill even add honda part numbers later to make things even easier for people.

1992-1995 HONDA CIVIC AUTOMATIC TO MANUAL CONVERSION
Following write up is for B-series manual swap into a automatic civic platform,parts guide and general information.

Parts needed
b-series engine
b-series transmission
b-series 5spd flywheel
b-series 5spd clutch
b-series throw out bearing
b-series pilot bearing
b-series clutch alignment tool(this comes with most clutch kits)
b-series 5spd flywheel boltsx8, d-series 5spd bolts also work but they only use 6 so you will need to make sure u have 8. AUTOMATIC FLYWHEEL BOLTS WILL NOT WORK. you can identify the automatic bolts by the heads, they have AT stamped.
b-series distributor, you will need a obd1, so pre below 96 b-series dist's will work
b-series 5spd starter, automatic starter will not work.
b-series 5spd starter bolts, their are 2 mounting bolts.
b-series obd1 ecu, or other chipped ecu's supporting your series of engine.
b-series obd1 injectors if you recieved a obd2 b18b, obd2 injectors will not work with the obd1 wireing harness. you can also use ur existing civic injectors.
b-series shift linkage
b-series shift linkage rubber mounting bracket that shoudl also have 2 metal colars, this bracket bolts to the chassis.
b-series shift linkage metal mounting bracket, this bracket goes on the botom of the rubber bracket.
b-series shift linkage mounting bolts for chassis x2
b-series shift linkage mounting pin for trans.
b-series shift linkage washer cover and bolt for transmission mounting.
the linkage DOES NOT bolt up, u have to drill one hole to the right of the stock left mounting hole, then the right mounting hole will bolt up, so u will use the drilled hole and the right mounting hole.
make things easy get a obd1 bseries wireing harness also.

b-series mounts needed- right side engine mount(you can use 94-01 integra mount),rear engine mounting bracket(again 94-01 integra) you can keep your existing bracket mount from civic but u need integra bracket, rear bracket has 3 mounting bolts.
Trans mount for left side- Very important step, because the automatic chassis mount sits higher then the manual you will have to cut that chassis mount off and reweld a manual mount, or you can do it the easy way and buy a auto-manual conversion mount from hasport,innovative mounts, or jdmshit.

5spd pedals from 92-95 civic, delsol, and integra(i believe but am not sure on integra).
Couple ways of doing this.
5spd clutch pedal, make sure you also get the pin that connects the clutch pedal to the master cylinder.
5spd brake pedal
5spd gas pedal
i left the bracket auto and just changed the pedals itself.
you do not have to worry about the clutch switch
if your clutch pedal still seems mashy after bleeding, try the adjust nut.
also do not forget the mounting bolt to top of bracket without that you will put flex on the firewall, and also have problems with the clutch pedal.
P.S do yourself a favore take the seat out.

94-01 integra throttle cable, auto cable if ur keeping the auto gas pedal, 5spd cable if your gonna use a 5spd gas pedal. the ends are different for both.

5spd 92-95 civic master cyl
5spd 92-95 civic master cyl hose and reservoir,2 mounting bolts for reservoir
5spd 92-95 civic clutch lines should be 3 hardlines,connecting joint for 2 of the lines,and a soft hose
5spd 92-95 civic slave cylinder, you can use civic 5spd cylinders.

94-01 integra 5spd axles
94-01 integra 5spd halfshaft, automatic halfshaft will not work. you can also use 90-93 integra 5spd halfshaft but u need to use a 90-93 integra 5spd driver side axle.

also as far as the exhaust goes for time being, i used the civic b-pipe, and used a 94-01 cat converter, the civic cat converted had a good 2-3 inches of space from the header to the b-pipe. and of course dont forget bolt/nuts x3 and a set of spring bolts.

Again i will add more info, but just wanted to put this out there while its pretty much fresh in my head.

p.s For just d-series majority of this info is still the same, just different trans mounting hardware for linkage, but the mount u can get from them listed retailers also work for D and B series transmissions.

Modified by lsjon at 1:31 PM 1/5/2007

Modified by lsjon at 1:44 PM 1/5/2007
Old 01-05-2007, 11:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Another write up on auto conversion/b-series swap parts info (lsjon)

very good i like it i hope this will stop the n00b questions about this...
Old 01-05-2007, 12:10 PM

Default Re: Another write up on auto conversion/b-series swap parts info (USDMej1)

bump up for a detailed write-up for the massive conversion this was to accomplish.
The above list is a more realistic summary of what it'll take to complete a manual b swap into a eg auto hatch.

Also get a bottle of asprin cause your neck and back will no doubt hurt after squeezing yourself up under the dash for the pedal install.

Now we can work on a LS-T setup.
Old 01-05-2007, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I will add pics and info later on how to do the wireing to be able to start the car by making the car think its in park. just be sure to make sure the car is always in neutral when starts lol ill also post how to wire up the reverse light.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bump for more information to add, any suggested info to add is much appreciated, trying to help those lost souls out there that dont have a clue : P
Old 01-05-2007, 03:51 PM

Default Re: (lsjon)

Good write up. Too bad there isn't any pictures!
Old 01-06-2007, 03:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

should have some parts diagrams tonight, my work has a select amount of sites your able to view and pic hosting sites arent one of them, but ill email me the diagrams from works catalog and have em up tonight
Old 01-06-2007, 06:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Another write up on auto conversion/b-series swap parts info (USDMej1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDMej1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">very good i like it i hope this will stop the n00b questions about this...</TD></TR></TABLE>

it is very good, but the reality is it'll never stop the noob question. there will always be some lazy kid who doesn't want to search.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah well, as they say you can lead them to water but cant force them to drink.