Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

another shifter question

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 02:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default another shifter question

Ok, i did my duty, i searched, learned a bit.....

now a simple question.

I have noticed several people mention that the shifter feels too low for them (have to reach too far) and they are 5' 10" (as am I) That is for the B&M one. I think that one doesn't have a bend...

Question is, is the Skunk2 one a little easier to reach? How do the bends effect it?
Old 02-14-2007, 04:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: another shifter question (old rex)

all depends on the type and model shifter, there all different, the bends just angle the shifter for an easier throw
Old 02-14-2007, 11:53 AM

so which one is taller?

btw its for a 97 HX
Old 02-14-2007, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (old rex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by old rex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so which one is taller?

btw its for a 97 HX</TD></TR></TABLE>

what is it your looking for? if you want a short shifter but don't want to reach far, then get a double or dual bend. this will put the shifter closer to you.

you can always push the seat up.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:01 PM

If you want a shifter that's easy to reach, you could look into the FLP shifter or equivalent... It puts the shifter almost next to the steering wheel and the throw is of stock ratio...
Old 02-14-2007, 12:05 PM

Default Re: another shifter question (Chim Chim)

i said what i'm looking for.

this is my daily driver, so i'm not looking to get anything fancy, i just don't like the stock one.

I read that a lot of people didn't like the dual bend one, but no one seemed to say why.

Oh, and scooting the seat further will not help me reach it any better, i drive at a safe distance from the wheel (no thug leanback here).
Old 02-14-2007, 12:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by old rex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i said what i'm looking for.

this is my daily driver, so i'm not looking to get anything fancy, i just don't like the stock one.

I read that a lot of people didn't like the dual bend one, but no one seemed to say why.

Oh, and scooting the seat further will not help me reach it any better, i drive at a safe distance from the wheel (no thug leanback here).</TD></TR></TABLE>

the only performance a short shifter can provide is the feel when shifting. that's it!
they all do the same thing. they all feel the same way, singlr, dual, no bends.
i have a B&M no bend shifter. i am 6"-3" and i have no problem shifting. if you install a poly bushing along with the shifter it will feel great.

just make sure you go with a good company and not some ebay crap.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:39 PM

Default Re: another shifter question (philosofy1)

Where did I say i needed performance? I know it just enhances the FEEL. Thats why I want it. I don't like the stocker.

yes they all do the same thing, they shift gears. But they are different. A large amount of people don't seem to like the dual bend, and I'm trying to figure out why and if a dual bend will be better for what I want.

You are 4" taller than me, so chances are I'm not gonna have the same reach to the shifter that you do.

Back on topic, how does the dual bend compare to the straight ones?
Old 02-14-2007, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by old rex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Where did I say i needed performance? I know it just enhances the FEEL. Thats why I want it. I don't like the stocker.

yes they all do the same thing, they shift gears. But they are different. A large amount of people don't seem to like the dual bend, and I'm trying to figure out why and if a dual bend will be better for what I want.

You are 4" taller than me, so chances are I'm not gonna have the same reach to the shifter that you do.

Back on topic, how does the dual bend compare to the straight ones?</TD></TR></TABLE>

relax, i never said that you needed it for performance. i was merely stating it.
and yes they do all shift gears, but other than the bends, there is nothig signifcant about them. you want something that you don't have to keep reaching for, the the dual is you best bet.

don't worry about other people say. people always have something negative to say, but no meaning behind it. your best bet is to drive a friends car with one (if available). or just pick one up at your local performance shop, arrange something with the sales rep. if you install it and don't like it then return it. this is really not that hard.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:54 PM

Default Re: another shifter question (philosofy1)

ok thanks. I think i'll give the b&m dual bend a try.

All of my friends with short shifters have 6 gears....haha. So theirs wouldn't be a good comparison. (Corvettes & F-bodys). I don't get to shift in my Z28, but with a custom built trans and converter its a lot of fun (tends to rip the **** out of sticks off the line).

I have missed driving stick though, and now that i have a daily driver with one, i want a little more fun out of it. Thanks for the help.