Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Another Nooby...with questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 06:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Nooby...with questions

Hey everyone my name is mark and i just picked up a 1993 honda del sol. I have been searching up and down for the answers to these questions. Sorry if they are already on here. The guy i bought it from said he put a 1995 civic ex SOHC v-tech swap in it but i want to make sure its what he says it is...How do i find out? He said he only swapped the motor and not the ecu, which is probably why the car is running like crap, because it was a non v-tech motor. Does anyone know where the ecu is located on these cars? I need to find all this stuff out to see if i can get an ecu for this motor. Ill give any info you need, that i know of.

thanks everyone

Old 11-22-2007, 06:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Another Nooby...with questions (Markee Stylez)

ONe of the Gurus will be right along with the location, build yourselt a signature so you wont have to always type what your car and motor and trim is all the time, kewl.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

your ecu should be on the passenger side area either under the kick panel or under the carpet... but most likely under the kick panel... just remove the panel and you'll see it...
Old 11-22-2007, 06:45 AM

I found the ecu

the number on the ecu is

37820-P28-A00-760-105609
Old 11-22-2007, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the ECU is in the passenger side floor board on the right side it is held in by 1 12mm nut and 3 12mm bolts

EDIT and that is a vtec ECU that is soposed to be there
Old 11-22-2007, 06:47 AM

The problems im having are idling high, v-tech not kicking in, running very rich you can smell it, when the car is idling the rpms go real low and the car almost dies. Maybe the ecu is no good?

what do you think it is?
Old 11-22-2007, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

maybe you have a bad vtec solenoid... for the vtec not kicking... and have you changed the pcv valve maybe clogged... just throwing out some guesses
Old 11-22-2007, 11:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Markee Stylez &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey everyone my name is mark and i just picked up a 1993 honda del sol. I have been searching up and down for the answers to these questions. Sorry if they are already on here. The guy i bought it from said he put a 1995 civic ex SOHC v-tech swap in it but i want to make sure its what he says it is...How do i find out? He said he only swapped the motor and not the ecu, which is probably why the car is running like crap, because it was a non v-tech motor. Does anyone know where the ecu is located on these cars? I need to find all this stuff out to see if i can get an ecu for this motor. Ill give any info you need, that i know of.

thanks everyone</TD></TR></TABLE>

you can tell if it is vtec by loooking a little behind the dizzy and looking for a cylinder kind of thing on the head that has a plug on it.

your idling problem could be a vacuum leak. spray the entire intake section of the motor-manifold, hoses, etc.- with carb cleaner. if the idle goes up then you have yourself a leak. if not it could be your idler arm sticking due to the fact that you said your running rich. also check if its that right injectors for the car. GL and let us know what happens
Old 11-22-2007, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Markee Stylez)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Markee Stylez &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I found the ecu

the number on the ecu is

37820-P28-A00-760-105609</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok here are your answers:

1) you can identify your motor by looking on the left hand side of the block, right next to the transmission for an engine code (if the motor came out of a 1995 civic ex, it will be a d16z6 sohc vtec). so look for "d16z6" on your block. it could be covered with grease so rub that area with a rag or your finger or something.
2.) your ecu is the correct ecu for that motor (considering it is a d16z6) and the "A--" (A00 in your case) is the transmission code....search for these and you can find the exact ones for automatic and five speed applications.
3.) your vtec not kicking in could be your knock sensor, vtec selenoid, or a wiring harness which does not have vtec wired to the ecu (the guy could have left the original wiring harness and not hooked up vtec), so check up on those things.
4.) your idle problem could be caused by your idle air controller (iac), throttle position sensor (tps), or could possibly be your timing.
5.) could be your o2 sensor causing you to run rich and idling strange.
6.) your ecu is on the passenger side inside the car behind the carpet in front of the door. so where your door opens, pull the clips off that panel and pull the carpet back to see your ecu. there should be 4 bolts holding the ecu to the body and then 3 clips to take out. then your ecu is out.

hope all that helps you out and good luck. welcome to h-t bud.
Old 11-22-2007, 02:57 PM

Thanx for all the help everyone. I'll check everything and let you know what happens.

thanx again