Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Another EG VS EK thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another EG VS EK thread

But this time, lets be real. And by real, I mean, which car is better for a a young dude trying to daily drive and feel cool in.

I already got an EF hatch, which by the way NO ONE SHOULD EVER RECOMMEND ALONGSIDE THE EK AND EG >
it's a complete nightmare trying to find ANYTHING for it.. including selling it.

That being said, the EG is older and more popular (from what I see) and is a bit harder to find parts for than the EK (IMO).

All I want to know is if this is true or not, because I really prefer the EG in almost every way except when considering aftermarket support and possibly age.

Also show me some EKs that might have changed your heart from the EG, the EK i'm looking at is a lot cheaper than the EG and I need that support haha.

For all reference, my ideal goal is to buy a '98 EK for 1,600 and be able to enjoy having a newer, easier car to take care of and mod. Please feel free to burst my bubble if i'm wrong!
Old 05-15-2018, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Another EG VS EK thread

The grass is always greener between EK and EG. There's some parts that are not made for the EK that are for the EG/Integra 94-01 and depending on what used JDM/EDM parts you're looking for it's sometimes way easier to get EG parts than EK. It's really not perfect for either. Another thing to consider is the EG is OBDI vs the EK OBDII, which can help or complicate things, depending on what you're doing.

What are you looking to do with the car?

Ultimately they both have their upsides and downsides so it's more a matter of what you want to do with it and which one you want more.
Old 05-15-2018, 11:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the grass will always be greener huh, haha

It's my understanding that changing an EK OBDII to OBDI is no big thing so I initially worried about that but there was a thread here about a wire that you install and that's it apparently? Not sure, wish I bookmarked it.

As far as what parts, mods, and where i'm going, I'll take what I can get. I tried to have a "specific" car but i'm learning to appreciate what there is to offer with each car. Like that weird 2nd lower spoiler on the EK, that thing looks wack, but cool at the same time.

If I'm being honest I can go for either, maybe with the exception of the 'canadian' EG. I live in FL I can't deal with that 'only half that were made have a/c' bullcrap.

They are essentially the same car, people only really debate on weight and drags.
If I could change an EK front to an EG that's all I could want. The EK front is to big imo, EG is nice and driver centered and I can't get enough of it

That, and maybe 500 hp to kick around one day haha
Old 05-15-2018, 12:23 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

I'm gonna be honest
Old 05-15-2018, 12:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

Sounds like you already made up your mind so just buy an EG. You can easily buy aftermarket parts for either car to me it boils down to what looks better, I like the look of an EK coupe over an EG and I don't really like hatchbacks so for me the EK is the winner. Again after market support is plentiful for either as far as weight you can make either light if you really wanted to do it and both would be easy to make go 500hp.
Old 05-15-2018, 02:13 PM
Hysterically Calm

Received 562 Likes on 481 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0SARU
It's my understanding that changing an EK OBDII to OBDI is no big thing so I initially worried about that but there was a thread here about a wire that you install and that's it apparently? Not sure, wish I bookmarked it.
It might not be difficult to change the car but emissions for your local will be the thing preventing changing the car to OBD1.

It's my understanding it's basically illegal to backtrack a car's technology in emissions, but not illegal to advance a car's technology in emissions.

It's exactly why we have someone asking how to add a knock sensor to an OBD1 motor for their OBD2 car.

As for your EF, it's the better track car as stock it's 500 lbs lighter than an EG.
Old 05-15-2018, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by TomCat39
As for your EF, it's the better track car as stock it's 500 lbs lighter than an EG.
Wait what.

What trim levels you lookin at bruh?
Old 05-16-2018, 03:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have both, an EG and an EK, and honestly, my EG hatch is more fun. Both cars have been swapped, the EK with with a JDM high comp bottom end and a freshly rebuilt CTR head. Its fun, but feels under powered, but thats another thread. My EG hatch has a blue top H23a and its an absolute blast to drive. When it comes to daily driving, my EK is more cruising friendly, so my hatch is more of a toy for me. Looks wise, I love the EG, coupe or hatch. All in all, its all about personal preference. oh and the EK hatch is my death trap im building for autocross. She's quite a bit ugly.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's my understanding it's basically illegal to backtrack a car's technology in emissions, but not illegal to advance a car's technology in emissions.
Alright so this is what I need to understand more clearly.I have no clue on the distinctions between OBD1 and 2 besides they are specific to their own circuitry, but I'm assuming from what you said that I could turn OBD1 parts into OBD2 parts but not the other way around. As long as I can get a decent engine and an EG facelift, I really wouldn't bother paying 5k for an EG and do 1.5k for an EK (my current options)

Also in what scenario would my car get tested for emissions? I looked it up for Florida and I think we don't have that law

As for your EF, it's the better track car as stock it's 500 lbs lighter than an EG
Yeah but i'm leaving that for the 'i'm connected' guy because I can't even find a gasket for the oil pan plug, I'm not into drag as much as drift so while I do want horsepower, the EF is just masochistic to work on.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC
Sounds like you already made up your mind so just buy an EG.
If my broke-*** could find one for cheaper I already would have!! I guess I'm just trying to convince myself that the EK is just as good since I feel like I shouldn't buy an already modded EG and the EK I'm looking at was hardly worked on (last owner was a dummy though, cut holes in the engine bay for a strut rod but... maybe i'll post a pic, you have to see it)
Old 05-16-2018, 05:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by e30bimmer89
I have both, an EG and an EK, and honestly, my EG hatch is more fun.
I think I would feel the same lol. I guess I should really focus on getting a daily for cheap and then since every one seems to own one of each, maybe someone will trade?

Originally Posted by e30bimmer89
oh and the EK hatch is my death trap im building for autocross. She's quite a bit ugly.
At least she's murdered out! You should see my EF death trap hah
Old 05-16-2018, 05:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just found a listening for a 1,300 EG hatch! Well, I think this discussion is.... OVER! MWHAHAAHAHHAHAA!!!

Old 05-16-2018, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

damn it it's fcking canadian though.. Is there any website with A/C parts for a canadian '93 civic EG hatch?
Old 05-16-2018, 07:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 442 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0SARU
damn it it's fcking canadian though.. Is there any website with A/C parts for a canadian '93 civic EG hatch?
At this point your best bet would probably be to try to find a seller here on the forums in the sale section, posting a WTB.

Otherwise Craigslist would be your only hope for an OEM setup. Could also just buy a remanufactured compressor, condenser, and dryer and have the lines made. EVAP probably wouldn't be too hard to find in a salvage yard or second hand.
Old 05-17-2018, 05:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 179 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by tony_2018
I'm gonna be honest
Just depends...
Old 05-18-2018, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chance EG
At this point your best bet would probably be to try to find a seller here on the forums in the sale section, posting a WTB.

Otherwise Craigslist would be your only hope for an OEM setup. Could also just buy a remanufactured compressor, condenser, and dryer and have the lines made. EVAP probably wouldn't be too hard to find in a salvage yard or second hand.
I'm almost positive I can use an american one, I think there's a thread on that here but also the guy I bought it from was a honda tech and he checked it out. Guy had so many cars on his property lol.
Bought it with the hopes that i'll be able to work through this forum if I have any issues, there seems to be a lot that was posted and a lot of smart users so I have no worries.

I'll post a thread with pictures of the condition and the plans soon!

P.S. Thank you to the people telling me to be honest with myself, I couldn't be happier with the EG

. I sat in the EK I was going to buy and I REALLY didn't like how it was bigger. I fit so perfectly in the EG, it was totally worth traveling a whole day and driving back till 4am haha.
I was rocking no plate, so many disappointed people were trying to give me a go
Old 05-18-2018, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I've owned a couple 6th gen coupes and currently own a 5th gen coupe with a B20 low comp. engine. Definitely prefer the 5th gen all the way around.