Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

annoying sqeeks del sol?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default annoying sqeeks del sol?

does anyone know how to get rid of the annoying sqeeks that come from the ruber on the hard top of a del sol?

thanks
Old 08-13-2007, 12:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: annoying sqeeks del sol? (se_hatchback)

punch the hell out of it, kick it, swear at it, it usually works.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:12 PM

Shin-etsu
Old 08-13-2007, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (J.D.M)

try some grease on the latches if thats where the noise is originating
Old 08-13-2007, 05:02 PM

mine doese the same thing and i havent been able to figure it out either...i tried the greese on the latches and that wasnt the problem it was the rubber on rubber
Old 08-13-2007, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by se_hatchback &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">does anyone know how to get rid of the annoying sqeeks that come from the ruber on the hard top of a del sol?

thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

When I start to hear squeaks, I always put some of my special, home-made lube on it
Old 08-13-2007, 08:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: annoying sqeeks del sol? (AWD Terror)

yea it sounds like ruber on ruber not anything else.... silicone spay maybe?
Old 08-13-2007, 08:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

di-electric grease it will not eat the rubber
Old 08-14-2007, 02:24 AM

Default Re: annoying sqeeks del sol? (highrev1987)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by highrev1987 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">di-electric grease it will not eat the rubber</TD></TR></TABLE>
x2

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by from http://www.teamdelsol.com: &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Get rid of creaking!
You should lube your seals several times a year to prevent drying out and creaking.

Original Author: Paul Mooney "Peej"

Tools you will need: 100% Silicon Grease (Dielectric grease), and Silicon Spray. Only 100% Silicone grease is suggested to be used. Other types can contain additives which may contain harmful products which can cause harm to various applications. Also it is advised to keep the areas that have 100% silicone grease applied to them clean and free from dirt & other materials which may cause damage such as scratches to painted surfaces.

1. CHOOSE THE LUBRICATION: There are two types of lube that you need to purchase. 100% silicone grease & 100% silicone spray. The tube (toothpaste size) of grease is about $5 at any auto parts store (dielectric grease) or can be purchased from Honda for about $25 with part # 08798-9013. The can of spray is about $15 for a very large can.

2. WHERE TO USE THE SPRAY: The Spray is easily to use, but I only use it on in the locations the seals come in contact with the windows. Spray a mist of it on the seals and allow plenty of time for it to soak in. Then it wont smear on the windows.

3. WHERE TO USE THE GREASE: The use of the 100% silicone grease will be done on/in the following locations:
* Apply a thin uniform layer on the roof seals. I personally apply a thicker layer for the winter when the top will not be taken on & off as much. This allows the lube to soak into the seals more over time for a deeper conditioning.

* Apply some lube in the roof pin receivers and on the pins of the roof. Wipe away excess to reduce mess.

* Apply plenty of lube on the silver tab near the rear/bottom corner of each door and the black plastic slot. The silver tab seems to rub against the plastic and squeaks. Lubing it can eliminate friction at that point.

* Apply to mast of the radio antenna. Especially the power antenna masts. Lubing the masts will allow easy lifts and retracts, and will increase the life of the power antenna dramatically.

* Another point which may cause creaks is the spring from which the dome light gets its signal to turn on/off. You will need to remove the rubber boot and spray silicone inside the switch and re-apply the rubber boot.

* Apply this to other seals, tabs, locks, and various points from time to time.

NOTE: The 100% silicone grease (aka- Dielectric grease) is a great conditioner for seals and has been verified to not cause any damage on the seals from the manufacture of the grease. There are no harmful additives which can deteriorate rubber, paint, metal, or etc. This stuff is also the same as what is included with new spark plug wires/boots.

ADDITIONAL ROOF CREAKING:
Try this, First get a squeeze tube of either Chapstik or any Vaseline that comes in a gel form or in a tube not the roll up type. Squeeze a small drop about 2 mm wide on your finger. Apply the Vaseline to the top rear corner of each window (Not the front or rear side of the glass but the top edge of the window) You'll see this edge comes in contact with the blow out clip (shown in yellow circle in picture below) If you put enough on, the squeaking creak will go away. The way you can tell if you put enough on is the check the top edge of the window and see if the Vaseline smeared. This should eliminate the "WINDOW ROOF BLOW OUT CLIP CREAK". This is how we do it at the dealer I work for.
</TD></TR></TABLE>