Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

All B series blocks...........................

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2002, 10:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All B series blocks...........................

Are all b-series blocks the same cast? I was thinking about getting my b16 lower end built for F/I. I came across a b16a first generation lower end for REAL cheap, and was thinking that if the blocks are the same, I could have this one in the shop, and still be driving my 2nd gen b16 around.

So this would mean that once it is out of the shop, that I could swap blocks, and swap all the mounts and brackets and it would drop right in. Will this work? BAsically I want to know if I swap all my mounts and mount brackets frm my 2nd gen b16, to the older block, will it just drop in as well? Anmy help will do.

Thanks
Old 08-08-2002, 11:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: All B series blocks........................... (4g4me)

1. I'm positive that all B series blocks are not pored in the same cast forms.
For example consider the bore structure difference between the B20B/Z and a B18A/B. Obviously not the same sand cores being used on both.
2. As for the mounts; the first gen and second gen B16's have different mount locations.
Consider a swap into a 95 Civic: a second gen B16A can use most of the original B16A mounts. But a first gen B16A swap requires conversion mounts (ie. HASport, etc). There is a definte diference in mounting locations there. This is something you would have to address, worst case is that you would have to buy conversion mounts to swap in that first gen B16A

Does that help?

[Modified by SLPR, 12:07 PM 8/8/2002]
Old 08-09-2002, 07:59 AM

Default Re: All B series blocks........................... (SLPR)

Thanks, yes it does help. What I was thinking was that both the b16 blocks were the same, but the mount brackets on the block were different, and hasport(etc) made the kit to convert the older brackets useing their mounts. Well I guess not, and i wouldn't mind getting the aftermarket mounts, but i do not want the vibration.

Thanks again
Old 08-09-2002, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

1. I'm positive that all B series blocks are not pored in the same cast forms.
For example consider the bore structure difference between the B20B/Z and a B18A/B. Obviously not the same sand cores being used on both.
2. As for the mounts; the first gen and second gen B16's have different mount locations.
Consider a swap into a 95 Civic: a second gen B16A can use most of the original B16A mounts. But a first gen B16A swap requires conversion mounts (ie. HASport, etc). There is a definte diference in mounting locations there. This is something you would have to address, worst case is that you would have to buy conversion mounts to swap in that first gen B16A

Does that help?

[Modified by SLPR, 12:07 PM 8/8/2002]
Actually b20b/z and b18a/b blocks are the same, just different sleeves.

b17=b16 block
b18c blocks are the same externally and share the same deck height as b18a/b and b20b/z

and I have a first gen b16 in my EG...same mount locations

[Modified by WAFFLES, 11:03 AM 8/9/2002]
Old 08-09-2002, 08:20 AM

Default Re: All B series blocks........................... (WAFFLES)

yeah, the HASport kit is just so you can use a ghetto cable tranny......

f* a cable trans.

I have a B18C1 and a 1g B16A block in the garage. They are identical, except the B16A block was decked a little too much
Old 08-09-2002, 08:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: All B series blocks........................... (oldskool_rex)

I've been investigsting the same thing, but in hopes of assembling a budget-*** hybrid. Anyway, the internal differences in the 1st and 2nd gen B16A's are generally said to be compression and oiling.

For compression, if the deck heights are the same, then I can only assume the pistons are different. In your case, the lower compression would be an advantage for F/I.

For oiling, I assume the differences are in the oil squirters in the head BUT, I'm wondering if the passages in the block are the same. In a nutshell, if you put a 2G head on a 1G block, will all the oil passages line up?
Old 08-09-2002, 08:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: All B series blocks........................... (94CivicSi)

I've been investigsting the same thing, but in hopes of assembling a budget-*** hybrid. Anyway, the internal differences in the 1st and 2nd gen B16A's are generally said to be compression and oiling.

For compression, if the deck heights are the same, then I can only assume the pistons are different. In your case, the lower compression would be an advantage for F/I.

For oiling, I assume the differences are in the oil squirters in the head BUT, I'm wondering if the passages in the block are the same. In a nutshell, if you put a 2G head on a 1G block, will all the oil passages line up?
The difference is the head oil passages and the pistons. 10.2:1 compression in 1st gen, 10.4:1 in second gen.

And yes the 2nd gen head will be no problem on the 1st gen block, everything lines up.
Old 08-09-2002, 09:42 AM

This I know but the cast aluminum part of the bores should be different...hence me saying "not the same sand cores being used on both". So it is understood that the B18A/B and B20B/Z are the same externally.....but can someone verify that they are (exactly) the same internally?

b17=b16 block
b18c blocks are the same externally and share the same deck height as b18a/b and b20b/z

So what you are saying in that statement is:
1. the B18C blocks are the same externally
2. the B18C blocks share identical deck heights to the B18A/B and B20B/Z blocks

These two things I have known but let me ask are the Vtec and non-Vtec blocks identical internally and externally? I have always been told no, but I could have been mislead.

So what mounts are you using....conversion mounts or oem Honda mounts?
Old 08-09-2002, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

This I know but the cast aluminum part of the bores should be different...hence me saying "not the same sand cores being used on both". So it is understood that the B18A/B and B20B/Z are the same externally.....but can someone verify that they are (exactly) the same internally?

b17=b16 block

So what you are saying in that statement is:
1. the B18C blocks are the same externally
2. the B18C blocks share identical deck heights to the B18A/B and B20B/Z blocks

These two things I have known but let me ask are the Vtec and non-Vtec blocks identical internally and externally? I have always been told no, but I could have been mislead.

So what mounts are you using....conversion mounts or oem Honda mounts?
the b18a and b20 blocks are the same casting. however, the b20 comes with different with a vtec oil pump, whereas the b18a does not. They have the same crank and rods, but different pistons...obviously because of the bore difference. Other then that, they are identical. Oh wait...the b20 has one or two different webbings ADDED to the ls block, but thats it.

b18c block has different webbings, creating a stronger block.
Internally, the vtec block comes with block girdle and oil squirters. Also, the crank, rods and pistons are waaaay different. That's about it. Also vtec blocks come with a differnt oil pan.

The mount locations(the places where the mounts are located on the block) are the same. The reason for the mount kit in the EFs is the chassis difference between USDM and JDM chassis...not difference in the block. I am using the stock 3rd gen Teg mounts on my 1st gen b16 in my EG.

Old 08-09-2002, 11:20 AM

OK,
I'm strait on the mounts B, I w2as not awhere that 3rd gen Teg mounts would correctly mount a 1st gen B16A engine in a 92-95 Civic. Thanks for the learning
But the rest of your info backs up my statement of the blocks not using the same cast cores....hence not the exactly same block. So I wasn't actually incorrect in what I stated eariler.

Realistically the B18a/b are cast using different sand cores than the B20B/Z blocks. Also that the Vtec blocks are cast using different sand cores in relation to the non-Vtec blocks.
The differences are in possible combinations of: crankcase webbing/ribbing, cylinder bore structures, deck heights, and whatever else I neglected to mention.

Sounds good to me, anyone else have some solid input to add?

[Modified by SLPR, 12:26 PM 8/9/2002]