Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Alignment for 96-00 Civic w/ 5 lug conversion

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2003, 09:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alignment for 96-00 Civic w/ 5 lug conversion

I am getting my 5 lug conversion installed tomorrow. With it, I am also getting Mugen Lowdowns, which lowers the car less than an inch. I am also getting an alignment job while I'm at it. The installer says that I should get it aligned with a little negative camber since my car will be a little lower and the suspension would be stiffer. I thought you get alignment jobs to correct negative camber caused by lowering. Do you guys think that I should go by factory specs or should I go with some negative camber? I don't want my tires to wear out constantly.

Is the factory camber and toe the same for all 96-00 Civics? Please post the factory settings.

Also, since I am getting an ITR 5 lug conversion, should I use ITR camber and toe settings or should I use Civic camber and toe settings? What are the factory settings for an ITR? How about for a CTR?
Old 04-25-2003, 09:29 PM

Default Re: Alignment for 96-00 Civic w/ 5 lug conversion (EricUSC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EricUSC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">The installer says that I should get it aligned with a little negative camber since my car will be a little lower and the suspension would be stiffer. </TD></TR></TABLE> I agree, at least for handling purposes. If you want your car to handle a lot smoother approximately 1 degree of camber is perfect for street driven car. And don't worry about your tires if your getting an alignment done. The toe is what murders the tires around the inside edges. with my ingall's kit i set it to 0 camber after lowering my car app. 2.5 all around and the handling is pretty bad, and in the rain it actually gets dangerous. This is on crappy 195/65/14's however. But when i set it to -1 car handles a lot nicer and still won't burn my tires down. I recommend setting all else (toe[front=1+or-2 mm or 1/16in} [rear=2+2-1mm or 1/16+1/16-1/16 in], (castor, 1deg. 40' +/- 1 deg.) don't worry if you can't read this. All the plus and minus's basically mean just that either a little more or little less is ok. And yes i would still go with the civic's specs because your simply just using the hub off the itr. Good luck bro.
Old 04-25-2003, 09:30 PM

Default Re: Alignment for 96-00 Civic w/ 5 lug conversion (98Hatch00)

hahah btw why would you want the specs for a CTR?? Just curious.
Old 04-25-2003, 09:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Alignment for 96-00 Civic w/ 5 lug conversion (98Hatch00)

Thanks for the reply!

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98Hatch00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> with my ingall's kit i set it to 0 camber after lowering my car app. 2.5 all around and the handling is pretty bad, and in the rain it actually gets dangerous.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Unlike you're car being lowered 2.5 inches, mine will only be lowered 0.75 inches. In this case, should I use factory camber, caster, and toe or should I set make the camber a little more negative? Since I am getting the 5 lug conversion, am I better off using Civic or ITR settings? Also, can somebody please post the factory settings for the 96-00 Civic, ITR, and CTR?

They guy says that they have to bend the knuckles, since the 5 lug conversion came from a track car and the camber was previously adjusted for track use. Do alignment jobs typically involve bending the knuckles? If not, would the fact that the knuckles having been already bent cause the alignment to change, or worse yet, for the knuckles to fail?

Your responses are greatly appreciated since I will need to make a decision by tomorrow morning. Thanks!
Old 04-25-2003, 10:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...bending the knuckles..???????

**** the camber, get a factory alignment and be done with it..

and hit the books, you need to read up on stuff before you go out and drop $..
Old 04-25-2003, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Alignment for 96-00 Civic w/ 5 lug conversion (navin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by navin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">...bending the knuckles..???????

**** the camber, get a factory alignment and be done with it..

and hit the books, you need to read up on stuff before you go out and drop $..</TD></TR></TABLE>

The knuckles from my 5 lug conversion came from an ITR track car, so the knuckles were bent to increase camber. The guy said it needs to be bent back and is asking me where I want the camber. I wasn't informed about this until today when I dropped my parts off at his shop.

Can somebody PLEASE post the 96-00 Civic factory alignment specs? I searched the forums and the internet, and I can't find it.
Old 04-26-2003, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EricUSC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Can somebody PLEASE post the 96-00 Civic factory alignment specs? I searched the forums and the internet, and I can't find it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

To answer my own question, here are the specs for the 96-00 Civic (all units are in degrees):

Caster: 1.66+-1
Camber
Front: 0+-1
Rear: -1+-1
Toe-In:
Front: 0.08+-0.16
Rear: 0.16+-0.08
Old 04-30-2003, 07:44 AM

dude i know its old already but i gave the specs to you in my first post. lol. Hope everything worked out for you dude. I wouldn't trust those bent knuckles though. Those things are pretty hardcore stiff, but when you bend them like any metal, it makes a "weak point". If you bottom out hard or hit something, it could fracture it dude. Good luck tho dude.