Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Air Intake Computer

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Intake Computer

Hi, im new to this site. I purchased a 1992 Honda Civic DX Hatch knowing this car had problems, just not knowing the severity of them. I popped the hood, and noticed that the people I had purchased it from rigged some cheap intake. I bought a coupling to correctly connect it to the manifold, and i noticed a duck tape patch over it. I pulled off the duct tape and saw that it was a whole, almost for like a computer gauge to measure the air flow. The check engine light is on and i think that may be the problem, however when i look for like a sensor just hanging there to maybe go into the whole i dont see anything. My ? was is there even supposed to be one? a sensor that is, I would assume so, but maybe the people cut it? Im not sure, I just want it correctly installed and the light to go away before inspection. Thanks for any help
Old 09-11-2007, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Air Intake Computer (1992civicdxcj)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1992civicdxcj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hi, im new to this site. I purchased a 1992 Honda Civic DX Hatch knowing this car had problems, just not knowing the severity of them. I popped the hood, and noticed that the people I had purchased it from rigged some cheap intake. I bought a coupling to correctly connect it to the manifold, and i noticed a duck tape patch over it. I pulled off the duct tape and saw that it was a whole, almost for like a computer gauge to measure the air flow. The check engine light is on and i think that may be the problem, however when i look for like a sensor just hanging there to maybe go into the whole i dont see anything. My ? was is there even supposed to be one? a sensor that is, I would assume so, but maybe the people cut it? Im not sure, I just want it correctly installed and the light to go away before inspection. Thanks for any help</TD></TR></TABLE>

damn, that sucks. is this a civic motor? or a motor that has been swapped in? and when you say there is a whole, do you mean on the throttle body? or on the manifold?
Old 09-11-2007, 12:45 PM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: Air Intake Computer (1992civicdxcj)

I think what you're describing is the hole that many Civic intakes have where the IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor is installed. I honestly don't recall whether or not the '92 Civic has the IAT in the intake tube, but your first order of business should be to check the CEL.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread/1901557
Old 09-11-2007, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Air Intake Computer (Padawan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I think what you're describing is the hole that many Civic intakes have where the IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor is installed. I honestly don't recall whether or not the '92 Civic has the IAT in the intake tube, but your first order of business should be to check the CEL.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

Padawan, where's your star wars avatar? i liked it better.
back to the topic at hand, 92 civic's had the IAT on the intake manifold.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:49 PM

Ok, thanks, so if i don't see a sensor that should go in the whole, does that mean the people cut it?..that would suck
Old 09-11-2007, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (1992civicdxcj)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1992civicdxcj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ok, thanks, so if i don't see a sensor that should go in the whole, does that mean the people cut it?..that would suck</TD></TR></TABLE>

what i am asking is, where exactly is the whole at? on the intake runner, throttle body, or manifold.

if it is on the runner (i thinklike what Padawan is thinking) and that was taped, then i wouldn't worry about it. they most likely used a intake from a later civic model (which that is where the IAT sensor will go).
Old 09-11-2007, 12:55 PM

the whole is on the intake pipe..I have a coupling from the manifold to the pipe. the pipe runs down and has a stub that sticks out where the vacuum line goes, then continues to where i put the filter. On like the reverse side of the vacuum stub, there is a perfectly symmetrical whole that doesn't look like it was hand made.
Old 09-11-2007, 12:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1992civicdxcj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the whole is on the intake pipe..I have a coupling from the manifold to the pipe. the pipe runs down and has a stub that sticks out where the vacuum line goes, then continues to where i put the filter. On like the reverse side of the vacuum stub, there is a perfectly symmetrical whole that doesn't look like it was hand made. </TD></TR></TABLE>

yeah, i wouldn't worry about it. it's there for a IAT. which in your case, your IAT sensor is on the manifold. i thought maybe your IAT was missing on the manifold or a hose was missing from the map sensor, that kind of stuff.

if you want you can always use the tape to cover it back up until you replace the intake with a better one.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:01 PM

oh ok, so on the 92's the sensor is on the manifold? ok, so the intake is probably from a different year or something. thats good, should i have like auto zone reset or tell me why my check engine light is on, or should i check my cell?
Old 09-11-2007, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 1992civicdxcj &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">oh ok, so on the 92's the sensor is on the manifold? ok, so the intake is probably from a different year or something. thats good, should i have like auto zone reset or tell me why my check engine light is on, or should i check my cell?</TD></TR></TABLE>

if you are already home, or maybe at work, then all you need is a paper clip, the link:

and you can pull the code yourself. pretty easy, just follow the steps on the link provided!

then post it up here so we can help!
Old 09-11-2007, 01:08 PM

ok, Im at home so ill check it out..thanks, ill post soon..Thanks for the help
Old 09-11-2007, 01:24 PM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: Air Intake Computer (philosofy1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by philosofy1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Padawan, where's your star wars avatar? i liked it better.</TD></TR></TABLE>

For now, I felt that Death riding the pale horse was suitable. I may have something else in the works though.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

For now, I felt that Death riding the pale horse was suitable. I may have something else in the works though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 09-11-2007, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Padawan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

For now, I felt that Death riding the pale horse was suitable. I may have something else in the works though.</TD></TR></TABLE>

close enough to what the man in black said.. "And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him." --johhny cash
Old 09-11-2007, 01:36 PM
Darth ModerVader

Default Re: Air Intake Computer (gsxr1k05)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by gsxr1k05 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">"And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts, And I looked and behold: a pale horse. And his name, that sat on him, was Death. And Hell followed with him." --johhny cash</TD></TR></TABLE>

Johnny Cash was predated just a tad by the Book of Revelation and the account of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse....

However, let's return now to our regularly scheduled thread.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

HOLE, not whole

the hole is for an IAT, which on your car is located on the intake manifold...they just put that hole there for other models that have the IAT in the actual intake. nothing was cut...unless it has a different wiring harness in it.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (drtysohc)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by drtysohc &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">HOLE, not whole

the hole is for an IAT, which on your car is located on the intake manifold...they just put that hole there for other models that have the IAT in the actual intake. nothing was cut...unless it has a different wiring harness in it.</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks for the language arts, but we already figured out what "hole" the op was talking about.
Old 09-11-2007, 01:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (drtysohc)

Next time you have a problem such as this I would suggest taking pictures to help people see what you are talking about.