Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Aftermarket cruise control?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 12:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket cruise control?

from all i have seen the cruise control for civics was indash and on the wheel. my question is did the controls ever come on a stick below the blinkers. heres a pic of the stick and missing controls on steering wheel.
if its after market im going to remove it and add factory stuff but just wanna make sure its not some crazy option. thanks guys
Attached Images    
Old 09-12-2010, 01:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Aftermarket cruise control

lol looks old
Old 09-12-2010, 08:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok? that really helps i know it looks old thats why i cant tell if it was some crazy factory option
Old 09-12-2010, 01:00 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That looks like some J.C. Whitney aftermarket crap.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thats what im afraid of. there is a control unit under the hood its going to be a mess to remove. has anyone had a manuel trans with cc i dont know if its worth the mess of adding factory cc. my thought was autos will down shift when going up a hill with the man if i push the clutch in to down shift it turns cc off right thanks for the help
Old 09-13-2010, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Re: Aftermarket cruise control?

Its an aftermaket one. Looks like the generic one that people put in. But if it works, why remove it? (Though it is f-ugly.) Anyhow, I have an M/T with cruise (93 EX) and the module is under the dash and the functionality is yes the cruise disables with the push of the clutch or brake. Cruise is just intended for you retain speed over long distances, it wont help for downshifting or upshifting in a Manual.
Old 09-13-2010, 10:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

friends gfs cavalier had one of these...was installed like shizz and didnt even work. they attatched the cruise cable to the tb with a chain found on a bathtub drainplug lmao worthless
Old 09-13-2010, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it doesnt work thats why im taking it out and it sounds like more trouble than its worth to add the factory stuff. i might post pics as i remove it tomorrow thanks for all the help
Old 09-13-2010, 11:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its not too bad but find a part car or junk yard, normally they sell these for almost close to nothing.

1-cruise control box in the engine bay(have a throttle cable attached to it)
2-under driver side there is a small ecu looking thing, need that, behind carpet under the fuses boxes. kinda a bitch to reach if u have a big hand. it shuold plug into like a 20 pin plug
3-now this part im unsure about, the stering wheel of course u need with the switch, but not sure if factory still have the wire under there somewhere or u gonna need to rip out the whole harness from the main chassic to connect to the steering wheel switches

i think thats all u need but could be more, civic's cruise control connect directly to the petal from the engine bay box thing(1), not connect to throattle body.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:59 AM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Factory cruise control is fair bit of work to out in, among other things you have to swap the pedal assembly. It is perfectly doable though. I have factory cruise in my '93 Si and it works better than I thought it would, even on hills, obviously it wont downshift but as long as its not a long steep hill it works pretty good.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:53 PM
Oh look, I can change this

Received 131 Likes on 105 Posts

Not sure how many people have retrofit a factory cruise setup - it's not hard, but it is a little time consuming. There are about 4 write ups (including mine), and one with a pic-intensive walkthrough - you can find that link in a reply to my thread. Parts aren't expensive at all. I really recommend pulling apart the cruise wiring from the man harness, though, instead of cutting and splicing - this makes your life 1000x easier and reduces the chance for wiring fudge-ups.
Old 09-14-2010, 03:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My bad, I was under the impression the thing worked. If its like any other cruise system (I did an install in a cavalier, and no I didnt use a bathtub chain, finding the throttle cable took 6 monthes since I had one of the 91 cavaliers with the TB injection and not MPFI). You want as much of the harness as possible, you will need teh actuator, controls, cruise ecu and appropriate switches (Pedals if not equipped). Best of luck.