Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

aftermarket crank pullys bad for engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2005, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default aftermarket crank pullys bad for engine?

i have a b18c(jdm sir-g) and I'm thinking about a unorthodox crank pulley. I've heard that they can be bad for the engine, i don't really see how, but i thought I'd ask if anybody had heard this and what the logic behind it is. i know they don't make a huge difference, but i did put a big chip in mine, and my philosophy is when replacing, upgrade

thanks and happy thanksgiving!
Old 11-24-2005, 10:43 AM
95DxSi-R2

Default Re: aftermarket crank pullys bad for engine? (littlegreenb18)

no harm done, it'd be the same thing as a light wieght flywheel.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:12 AM

Default Re: aftermarket crank pullys bad for engine? (95DxSi-R2)

well if you were to get anything to lighten up your rotating assembly, i suggest you balance the whole assembly.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:17 AM
* B A N N E D *

Default Re: aftermarket crank pullys bad for engine? (zer0-psi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by zer0-psi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well if you were to get anything to lighten up your rotating assembly, i suggest you balance the whole assembly.</TD></TR></TABLE>

this is a good idea, but know one thing, the stock honda pulley is cast, then balanced by drilling, you can see this.

the unorthodox ones are balanced because they come off a lathe, all lathed ones will be balanced because of the way they are made, you're paying for fitment and finish, not balancing.

honda engines are internally balanced, unlike high stroke V8s that need damper pulleys to keep them from shaking apart.

you're fine to replace the pulley, and its a good idea to have the rotating assembly balanced, but these things are unrelated. Its always good to do both, one is $150 and one is $600 - 1000.
Old 11-24-2005, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do some research before changing the crack pully.

your going to get minimal power ganes and will be regreting it when your oil pump explodes

look at most of the High HP turbo cars. stock crack pullies......

do any of the guys that replied have crack pullies? just wondering how long you have had them if so.

platinum
Old 11-24-2005, 12:13 PM
95DxSi-R2

Default Re: aftermarket crank pullys bad for engine? (platinum00)

my bad, i thought it was no harm? what about the unorthodox pulley? wouldn't that be fine?
Old 11-24-2005, 12:14 PM
95DxSi-R2

Default Re: aftermarket crank pullys bad for engine? (95DxSi-R2)

it's not underdrive, just quicker respounce from less wieght
Old 11-24-2005, 12:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i've heard horror stories

buy an extra oil pump if you do put it on tho
Old 11-24-2005, 12:21 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by platinum00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do some research before changing the crack pully.

your going to get minimal power ganes and will be regreting it when your oil pump explodes

do any of the guys that replied have crack pullies? just wondering how long you have had them if so.

platinum </TD></TR></TABLE>

wtf are you talking about? please explain WHY your oil pump will explode. that sounds like "this guy heard from this guy who's cosines girlfriends friend had this happen once"

i really don't see how it could possible cause a problem, i just wanted some opinions in case i was wrong, i know Honda's are internally balanced and i don't see it hurting anything, plus EGmike made a good point about the lathe cut pulleys.

also, i don't have money or time to pull the engine and have it balanced, vtec engines are zero balanced from the factory, sure it's 10 years old, but pulling it apart and balancing it for a crank pulley is rediculous
Old 11-24-2005, 12:48 PM
* B A N N E D *

i've had my generic underdrive aluminum pulley on my H22 with a fidenza flywheel, 8 puck clutch, revving to 8k on stock head and block, and no balance shaft belt on a stock waterpump and oil pump

the rest was on the engine for 30,000 miles, and the pulley has been on for 4k miles, didn't change anything about the way I drive.

so why would your oil pump go?
Old 11-24-2005, 01:04 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by platinum00 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do some research before changing the crack pully.

platinum </TD></TR></TABLE>

Did someone say CRACK......Drop the CRACK and step away from the little girl.
Old 11-24-2005, 01:31 PM
B A N N E D

http://search.ebay.com/search/...prchi=

Best one to get
Old 11-24-2005, 01:51 PM

the stock pulleys have a rubber section to absord engine vibrations, so over time, the extra vibrations that get to your engine will eventually rip aprt your oil pump, main bearings, an dmain seals. its not worth the few ounces off of the rotating mass. an dmost of that mass is close to the centerline of the crank, so it wont do near as much good as say, a lighweight flywheel that has a good amount of the mass 4-8 inches from the centerline.
Old 11-24-2005, 02:07 PM

Default Re: (sacicons)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sacicons &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the stock pulleys have a rubber section to absord engine vibrations, so over time, the extra vibrations that get to your engine will eventually rip aprt your oil pump, main bearings, an dmain seals. its not worth the few ounces off of the rotating mass. an dmost of that mass is close to the centerline of the crank, so it wont do near as much good as say, a lighweight flywheel that has a good amount of the mass 4-8 inches from the centerline.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ahh, are we talking about the same thing...
Old 11-24-2005, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (littlegreenb18)

These lightweight crank pullies are no good on anthing other than a B16. Anything with a greater displacement will have issues with not having that engine damper (stock crank pully). A buddy of mine (Chad Slagg, reputable guy) basically heard exactly what I just said from Mr. Spoon (president of Spoon) himself. Don't listen and say bye, bye to bearings!!

Its kinda funny we were talking about this last night, and how he was going to take his Spoon N1 pulley off the B20.....
Old 11-24-2005, 04:58 PM

Default Re: (97ShLude)

fluidampr is your best bet.

http://www.fluidampr.com/sport_compact.htm
Old 11-24-2005, 04:59 PM

Default Re: (97ShLude)

then what about the oem ctr n1 pulleys? those look really light

end what the hell are fluidampers? do they have water in them or something? whats the idea behind that?

also, i'd really like someone to explain to me why a lighter pulley is bad, because i don't understand it. i can see maybe if it was not properly balanced, but i'd assume a reputable company like unorthodox would balance them properly. i really don't even understand why it NEEDS to be there if the rotating assembly is balanced properly, i'm not saying it dosn't need to be there, i just don't understand why

Modified by littlegreenb18 at 6:09 PM 11/24/2005
Old 11-24-2005, 05:09 PM

email them and ask them. but it says right on their site if you wanna buy a pulley buy a new crank too.
Old 11-24-2005, 05:34 PM

Default Re: (typeoneeg6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by typeoneeg6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">email them and ask them. but it says right on their site if you wanna buy a pulley buy a new crank too.</TD></TR></TABLE>

why would you recommend that product if you don't know?
Old 11-24-2005, 05:45 PM

why dont you go to the home page and read the stuff about torsional vibration, how it works and all that....instead of asking for advice and then getting pissy when people respond..for instance this would be the second time. do your research.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:47 PM
95DxSi-R2

Default Re: aftermarket crank pullys bad for engine? (E.Honda)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by E.Honda &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Did someone say CRACK......Drop the CRACK and step away from the little girl.</TD></TR></TABLE>
lmfao
Old 11-25-2005, 02:03 AM

Default Re: (typeoneeg6)

I don't get pissed off when people respond and are helpful. you don't fit into that catagory. I don't think you even understand the questions half the time. if you are not going to be helpful, don't waste your, or other peoples time here. This is a tech forum, its for sharing technical knowledge, obviously you don't have any in this area. you're recommending products you know nothing about, that makes no sense. I read their website, it is really not very informational. So, I hope we can still be friends, and I'm sorry for hurting your feelings
Old 11-25-2005, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can’t believe you guys sometimes. People give you good advice and you still don’t listen... why ask then

Run the crack pulley, you might have success with it. Alot of people have not...

I know nothing about engine balancing so im not going to try and explain why some internal parts break when using them…

You asked if it could cause harm. I told you it could, and you jump all over my sh*t.

Don’t ask the question if you don’t want an answer, weather it be the one you want to hear or not

platinum.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I didn't take the time to read all the posts, but this is a constant argument. You'll always get both sides. Personally, I would never use one, and even be hesitant on buying a vehicle that had one on. Harmonic vibrations are damaging, and come from more than internally. The external accessories have more vibrations, and cushioning them from the crankshaft is important for long term durability. The "N1" pulley has only one accessory pully, and it wasn't used on production cars for those durability reasons. I have seen oddly worn bearings that I believe were pulley issues, but have no sound proof. In fact, this entire statement is entirely opinion since I don't have any documented proof. So believe what you want, but there's my .02.
Old 11-25-2005, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

your going to get minimal power ganes and will be regreting it when your oil pump explodes </TD></TR></TABLE>

Seen it with my own eyes with the CTR N1 pulley and boost.